Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Int'l Motorsport

Search this Thread
Old 30th July 2005, 10:54   #1
Senior - BHPian

Ross Brawn wants Downforce Out !!!

Finally!

Finally someone in F1 has admitted (and is seriously pissed off about) the fact that the current Aero setup makes overtaking impossible. Ross Brawn has apparantly argued very vehemently that F1 needs to do something about the fact that the current aero rules make it exceedingly difficult for one car to follow - let alone pass - another.

In line with the FIA's 2008 proposals, Brawn said: "I'm advocating just forgetting downforce, because it doesn't give us anything. We should have wide, soft tyres, and lots of mechanical grip."

For the full story see http://www.f1racing.net/en/news.php?newsID=94104

If this sport is to keep viewer interest, we need to see some real, wheel-to-wheel racing. Its become quite boring to see the qualifying results translate into race results and overtaking through "pit stop strategy". I've even stopped watching the race itself because its usually a waste of time - you only need to see qualifying on Saturday.
Old 30th July 2005, 11:10   #2
BHPian

ah...overtaking minus downforce...there's this half-baked movie script that keeps running in my head...imagine if you will:

Bumber to bumper racing for the last 10 laps between say..Kimi and Alonso (current favs, that's all), with Kimi following Alonso...final lap in a heated race that has everything: spinouts, perfect pit stops, side-by-side racing just out of the pit lanes, + (10 top things you want to see in a race)... Kimi has tried everything but Alonso holds him off...into the stretch before the chequered flag and kimi "turns-off" his downforce, and the mclaren leaps OVER and lands in FRONT of the renault...and crosses the finish line to a stunned audience which then breaks out into a thundering applause.

And yes, that was the championship deciding race. Cant' help playing this out in my head from time to time
Old 30th July 2005, 11:16   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xezas
... Kimi has tried everything but Alonso holds him off...into the stretch before the chequered flag and kimi "turns-off" his downforce, and the mclaren leaps OVER and lands in FRONT of the renault...and crosses the finish line to a stunned audience which then breaks out into a thundering applause.

And yes, that was the championship deciding race. Cant' help playing this out in my head from time to time
The point is that Alonso will have to turn off his downforce if Kimi has to overtake him. Its the OTHER GUY'S downforce that makes overtaking difficult and dangerous with these cars...
Old 30th July 2005, 12:07   #4
BHPian

well actuially tits the disturbed air past the diffuser mainly, that prevents the following cars front wing from achieveing enuff bite to provide the downforce that is the major problem, amplified this year as the front wings have been raised making following a car nigh impossible & very tough
Old 30th July 2005, 12:21   #5
BHPian

I think the reason for very few overtaking nowadays is because of two thing

1. Very evenly matched cars (look at the qualifying results)
2. Some circuits are too narrow and twisty to overtake.

With no downforce, do you think there will be overtaking at Monaco and Hungaroring?

I think we need more Silverstones and Spas to increase overtaking. Make the tracks wider. That's it.

M
Old 30th July 2005, 17:38   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minardi

1. Very evenly matched cars (look at the qualifying results)

M
The qualification results don't mean a thing nowadays if we want to compare the outright pace of the cars due to the silly 'starting with race fuel'. Schumacher's pole today is a perfect example.

It wasn't too long ago that we had amazing slipstreaming manoeuvers and wheel to wheel racing. Even as late as 2000, team-mates used to give help each other in qualifying (on tracks such as Indianapolis) by one driver creating a hole in the air and the other driver following close behind.
Old 18th August 2005, 12:23   #7
Senior - BHPian

I seriously don't mind them banning aerodynamics. It would be great to see the teams scratch their heads while they try and achieve the best mechanical grip possible.

Ofcouse, it would mean that the car will no longer be able to pull 3+ Gs while cornering but, it would make for a much more interesting race.

Shan2nu
Old 18th August 2005, 13:02   #8
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Previously in my house, Sunday afternoons were a dreaded affair for my family....reason? Used to have a couple of people over to watch the race and end up screaming our lungs out in excitement during the race. Needless to say, it used to be a mad house during those 90 minutes.

Now Formula One is popularly known as Formula "Yawn" at my place. No screaming. No excitement. Heck, I dont even watch the races if I have something better to do.

Its amazing how Formula One - being the supposed pinacle of motorsport - has restrictions on tyres, aerodynamics and every automotive word in the dictionary that Mad Mosley could remember.

Get back slicks. Get back the old qualifying. Get back the old style pitstops. Give freedom to the aero department. Thats the real Formula 1!

GTO
Old 27th August 2005, 00:46   #9
BHPian

i absolutely vote for this...F1 is becoming boring each day...hell, sometimes I only watch Raceday and leave the race, bcoz as Steeroid mentioned the qualifying results are repeated in the race results.
Old 1st September 2005, 14:04   #10

I agree that downforce from above the car should be taken away and more emphasis put under the car.

I think bringing back or moving more towards the ground effect will increase a driver's ability to follow a car closely in corners! This will lead to more exciting races and ofcourse more overtaking.

Also I think the current points system should be changed. The win is not given enough credit any more! It should be 12pts for a win, if 2nd gets 8pts, this will encourage driver's to fight for win's more regulary than just settle for 2nd place.

Most Viewed