Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Int'l Motorsport

Search this Thread
Old 4th March 2010, 18:39   #1
Senior - BHPian

2nd Indian Driver in F1 - Karun

Wishing him the best!

autosport.com - F1 News: Chandhok announced as HRT driver

Quote:
Karun Chandhok has been confirmed at the new HRT Formula 1 team, ahead of its official presentation in Spain today.

Chandhok will be presented to the public at the Murcia unveiling, which is set to confirm the team's new identity and its plans for 2010.

Colin Kolles, HRT's team principal, said: "I am very pleased to use the Murcia site to officially unveil our car livery today. We also complete the driver's team line-up with the Indian Karun Chandhok at the wheel of the car for our first ever season.

"We have been very impressed with Karun's performance in GP2. India is a great country. It will be great for the sport to have an Indian driver on the grid for the first Indian Grand Prix. Murcia is part of the roots of the team.

"Everything is now in place after an impossible race against time to register the team's name and I truly believe that we have an excellent platform to build on and move forward for a strong 2010 performance. Now, we need to work together. We need to learn together and keep developing as a team."

Jose Ramon Carabantes, the team chairman, added: "The new HRT F1 Team, Hispania Racing F1 Team is born in Murcia. I am proud to welcome you in Murcia where the team has its roots and to have given to my country the pride of the first ever Spanish Formula 1 team.

"The name of the team contains the word Hispania, which is not only the name of one of my companies, but Hispania was also the Roman name for the Iberian Peninsula. That reflects now our team's new identity. 2010 will be a major debut for the team and drivers at the wheel of our HRT F1 Team car."
Old 4th March 2010, 18:47   #2
MCR
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anachronix View Post

Is it Campos renamed as HRT????

Wishing Karun Chandok all the best.
Old 4th March 2010, 18:50   #3
Senior - BHPian

Campos Racing has been renamed as Hispania Racing F1 Team!
Old 4th March 2010, 19:43   #4
BHPian

Congratulations Karun ! What an achievement ! Awesome .
I hope HRT f1 is fast enough (at least among the new teams )for Karun to show his talent .
Good to have an Indian back in F1 . So now we have a driver , a team and soon a Grand Prix .
Old 4th March 2010, 20:04   #5
BHPian

That's some good news after a long time post the entry of Force India. Congratulations!..I wonder how does mallya and his team decided that "no indian driver" was fit to race in F1 while other teams are finding them worth.
I understand money plays a part in securing the drive, but i feel talent is equally important.

Anyways hope Karun grows beyond individual teams post 2010 season and does not go the way Narian did.

Three Cheers to your achievement...
Old 4th March 2010, 20:10   #6
BHPian

Wow this is great news !

Best of luck Karan
Old 4th March 2010, 21:15   #7
BHPian

I guess his entry into Formula1 was very much on the cards from some time and I expected Mallya to give Karan a racing seat, more so after he tested the race simulations for Force India. Nevertheless its good to see an Indian again in F1, but would add more colours if he gets into the Force India team.

An Indian GP, an Indian Team owned by an Indian and an Indian driver. Wow..Truely Indian.
Old 4th March 2010, 21:38   #8
Senior - BHPian

Good Luck to Karun and more important, good luck to Campos.
Old 4th March 2010, 21:47   #9
BHPian

great great news......here's wishing karun all the very best.

an Indian F1 team, 2 f1 drivers. An Indian GP in 2011(hopefully). We're getting there, slowly but steadily.
Old 4th March 2010, 21:57   #10
Senior - BHPian

Please dont start a Mallya Bashing thread! He was the first Indian to buy an F1 team and respect him for that.

Best of luck CHandok. A lot of hopes and wishes will be on you. Make a career out of it and not just few years!
Old 4th March 2010, 23:48   #11
Senior - BHPian

I cant understand why is he rushing into F1. He could very well have a couple of more years in GP2 and score more wins before moving to the F1.

And that too going to a team which is yet to turn a wheel isn't going to be a great move. I only hope he will be retained by the team for another year while developing the car to challenge for points.

Only way to make a mark now is to be consistent and finish all the races without much DNFs.
Old 5th March 2010, 08:19   #12
BHPian

@Schumifan
Even Alonso started with Minardi who were one of the backbenchers at that time(Year 2000 IIRC). So if Karun is able to show his talent with his new HF1 team then there is some possibility that some front running teams may have a look at him for the next season
Old 5th March 2010, 09:11   #13
BHPian

Absolutely fantastic news. It makes this years F1 championship all the more intersting.
Old 5th March 2010, 10:17   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchumiFan View Post
I cant understand why is he rushing into F1. He could very well have a couple of more years in GP2 and score more wins before moving to the F1.

And that too going to a team which is yet to turn a wheel isn't going to be a great move. I only hope he will be retained by the team for another year while developing the car to challenge for points.

Only way to make a mark now is to be consistent and finish all the races without much DNFs.
imo he made a wise choice.... couple more years in GP2 will do no good to him..remember giorgio pantano.."the grandad" .....alrite he won the GP2 championship..but where is he now...HRT is a new team and the pressure on the drivers will be much less....he can learn more and evaluate himself...in an established team they expect you to be bang on target from the first race...Congrats to Karun and wish him the best
@ deepak : in force india both of them are not paid drivers...
Old 5th March 2010, 10:28   #15
BHPian

Good one.!.! Best of luck Karun.!!

Most Viewed