Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Int'l Motorsport

Search this Thread
Old 31st May 2010, 00:50   #61
Senior - BHPian

The race got more exciting towards the end. While it's difficult to say who was guilty in the RedBull accident, I think both the drivers were at fault. Webber could have just given way to Vettel instead of racing so close with him. While Vettel also could have slowed down while trying to stay on the racing line.

When Button tried to go ahead of Lewis, I feared if even McLaren is going to do a Red Bull! But both the drivers were accurate on the turns and played safe. The F-ducts in the McLaren really helped the drivers gain speed on the straights. Very clever piece of engineering from McLaren.
Old 31st May 2010, 02:39   #62
Senior - BHPian

If you watch the video, Vettel had already pulled 1/2 a car's length ahead of Webber. My take is that he (at that point) thought the he had passed him completely and therefore turned right slightly intending to drift to the right edge of the track. (there is a left hander coming up, so you have to be at the right edge). Something about the surface of the track at that section or maybe some oversteer condition amplified that movement.

Seen different videos from different angles. Its pretty clear that Vettel's car turns suddenly to the right although you dont see him swerve.

PS: Hammy? Is that what they call him now

Last edited by Mpower : 2nd June 2010 at 07:06.
Old 31st May 2010, 03:10   #63
CPH
BHPian

Helmut Marko the Red Bull Motorsport consultant hints at it that it was Mark Webber's fault.

Mark Webber had plenty of space to move over.
Old 31st May 2010, 12:21   #64
Senior - BHPian

Missed the race again

From the replays, looks like it's a 50-50 between Mark and Seb. But I am inclined to give the benefit of doubt to Mark. If Vettel was so fast, he should have waited for some more time and taken his chance later.
Also Redbull team is not doing any good by blaming the incident publicly on Mark. Having an unhappy driver will not help you win championships.

Last edited by SilentEngine : 31st May 2010 at 12:28.
Old 31st May 2010, 13:03   #65
BHPian

It was exciting to see Petrov hold Alonso, for what seemed to be many laps in succession. And the way he held speaks of his material, so clean, forcing Alonso make mistakes.

Though he couldnt hold his position until the finish, I am glad for Petrov and Renault.

Edit: Redbull radioed Webber that the McLarens were running out of fuel in the last 3-4 laps, I believe this was only to encourage Webber.

Thought I saw Schumi take 3rd, when Webber pitted for new nose after the incident with Vettel. How did this order change?

Last edited by Rocky_Balboa : 31st May 2010 at 13:07.
Old 31st May 2010, 13:37   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky_Balboa View Post
Thought I saw Schumi take 3rd, when Webber pitted for new nose after the incident with Vettel. How did this order change?
It wasn't Schumi. It was one of the back runners.
Old 31st May 2010, 13:46   #67
BHPian

Quite a race it was . Mark Webber should have humbly moved over and tried to regain the position in the next few corners once he was beaten to the turn IMHO , just as Hamilton did a couple of laps later .
I dont think Mclaren had any team orders , Jenson made a brilliant overtake and then should have been defensive at the turn , rather he left enough gap to let Hamilton have a sniff and it resulted in regaining first place . After that they didnt have enough fuel to continue a fight.
Old 31st May 2010, 13:59   #68
Senior - BHPian

A great moment during the press conference

Quote:
Interviewer: So Lewis, are you back in the hunt for the championship?

Hamilton: I don't think I was ever gone.
Loved it!
Old 31st May 2010, 14:01   #69
Senior - BHPian

The Vettel-Webber incident might see them being asked to hold track position by the team in future. This would leave only the pit stop window to get ahead of each other. It might mean more points scored for the team, but takes out the racing.
Old 31st May 2010, 14:15   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Helmut Marko the Red Bull Motorsport consultant hints at it that it was Mark Webber's fault. Mark Webber had plenty of space to move over.
I dont buy that.

Irrespective of how much space Webber had, he wasn't the one who swerved into Vettel. He wasn't even trying to push Vettel off the track.

He gave Vettel enough space between his car and the edge of the track. Even if Vettel was desperate to overtake, he should have tried outbraking Webber in a straightline and not veer to the right (even before overtaking him).

It was a simple case of driver error by Vettel.

Shan2nu
Old 31st May 2010, 14:20   #71
BHPian

Vettel should know that an Aussie will never budge from his racing line. If Vettel stuck to his racing line, there were high chances he would overbrake and it may have got Webber back in front on the next curve. He tried to close the door, but Webber was stubborn as always and tried to squeeze the gap further. So, it looked like Vettel either tried to bump him off or tried to close the door too soon.

OT
Quote:
MaserQ: Never Stop Believing - Goran Ivanisevic
One of my favorite players too

Last edited by echo77 : 31st May 2010 at 14:25.
Old 31st May 2010, 14:32   #72
Senior - BHPian

By the way, Marko is in charge of Red Bull's Young Driver program and Vettel is one of his proteges. Webber never went through that program.

You would at least expect Red Bull management to call it a 50-50 error but they squarely blame Webber. And that's only going to hurt the atmosphere within the team above all else.
Old 31st May 2010, 14:54   #73
BHPian

Webber was not letting him go by just like that, he gave away his pole position to a similar risky push by vettel in sepang, and he was not going to gift him the position just like that.

I also think that webber's superior performance, sebs lack of it of late has gotten into sebs head. The han gesture (of a loose nut in the head) after he stepped out of the car also showed that he thinks he is the supreior performer and can never go wrong.

The stubborn aussie will come back hard at him, awesome stuff.
Old 31st May 2010, 15:06   #74
BHPian

Vettel is the new Schumi. Welcome to the new generation of stubborn racers

Now only if they allowed racing like in the early 90s - cars in front could block a car using any method that is now termed dirty, and racers were primed to prevent such mistakes. I feel racing is much easier now with so many safety rules.
Old 31st May 2010, 15:30   #75
CPH
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
By the way, Marko is in charge of Red Bull's Young Driver program and Vettel is one of his proteges. Webber never went through that program.

You would at least expect Red Bull management to call it a 50-50 error but they squarely blame Webber. And that's only going to hurt the atmosphere within the team above all else.

You obviously don't know Dietrich Mateschietz. He wouldn't allow Helmut Marko such an error of judgement. Red Bull was on target to win the title and this is now severly hampered. Mateschietz is a brutal strategist and would sack Marko without any hesitation if he would take sides with Vettel if weren't Webber's fault.

Vettel was faster and Webber knew that he would loose because Vettel saved the fuel in hte earlier stages of the races and managed to have his tires in a better condition, which was the reason for the speed he gained over Webber just before the collision.

The video footage from the track and from the cars, the data logs and the date transmitted from the cars will give Marko no chance to defend the undefendable. This date is more extensive then what you would get from a flight recorder.

Most Viewed