Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Int'l Motorsport
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th March 2004, 15:13   #31
Team-BHP Support

More on the SLK safety car

The all-new Mercedes-Benz SLK 55 AMG is the Formula One safety car for this season; it appeared first at the Melbourne Grand Prix this weekend. The C55 AMG is the series' official medical car.

The SLK 55 AMG has been modified by AMG to meet its brief on the track; its 18-inch wheels have been replaced by 19-inch AMG light-alloy twin-spoke rims, and its chassis tuning is firmer to cope with higher curve speeds. Composite brake discs with six-piston brake calipers have been fitted up front, and perforated steel brake discs with four-piston calipers at the rear. Specially-engineered channels to direct cooling air onto the discs have been developed. The car's overall weight has been trimmed by nearly 100kg to 1370kg, with the substitution of an aluminium bonnet and other components, despite the addition of extra communications equipment, larger wheels and brakes, extra water cooler, two engine oil coolers and a larger transmission oil cooler, and added accessories.

As its roof will be shut at all times, its mechanical and hydraulic folding systems have been removed, and the front and rear valances are made from a carbonfibre laminate material. The AMG 5.5-litre V8 (360bhp) remains the same, however, accelerating the SLK from 0-60mph in less than five seconds.

source - Channel 4 news UK

Awesome
Old 25th March 2004, 01:29   #32
BHPian

Hey Guys,
That package what ull r talkin about is the F1 Package. It includes New Front Bumbers, 19" Alloys, One More Oil Cooler & De-restricetd. It can be bought seperately for any car.
Old 25th March 2004, 01:32   #33
BHPian

Hey Ajmat,
Check out this Post for the details on the SLK55 AMG & C55 Estate AMG Saftey Cars.
SAFETY CARS of F1
Old 25th March 2004, 01:54   #34
Team-BHP Support

Hey Ajmat...
I was asking abt the SL55 in the pic where dippy is posing with it.....thanks for the SLK55 info though...

Thanks Rg, thats what i needed to know.

Cya
Old 25th March 2004, 02:11   #35
BHPian

Anytime Man........BTW ure gonna Miss the Speed RUN Dude......Hehehehe
Old 25th March 2004, 02:13   #36
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Hey RG,

I heard about a F1 style steering wheel for the Sl55. Any potential for yours?

GTO
Old 25th March 2004, 02:16   #37
BHPian

Umm GTO,
Dont get what ure really talkin about?? Cause I have Gear Shifts on my Steering Wheel as of now
Old 25th March 2004, 02:24   #38
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Dunno dude, Read about it on the amg owners board. Will search and PM you the link.

GTO

P.S. I think an F1 butterfly steering wheel on the SL will be purely orgas***. Did you know that a de-limited SL55 amg is the fastest production car from 0-300 km/h?
Old 25th March 2004, 02:28   #39
BHPian

Butterfly Steering?? Sorry But dont know wht ure talkin about.

Yea about the De-Restricted I did not know that. Thanks for the Info.
Old 25th March 2004, 02:53   #40
Senior - BHPian

RG..you really got a very potential car man. i envy you totally.
as for the F1 package on safety cars..you guys can buy all of it except the safety lights.
Old 25th March 2004, 02:57   #41
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (rgowani @ Mar. 25 2004,00:58)]Butterfly Steering?? Sorry But dont know wht ure talkin about.
Hey RG,

I think this is what GTO meant by a "butterfly steering"...
basically a "wing" on each side...

here are some pics >

Old 25th March 2004, 02:59   #42
Team-BHP Support

Hey...what does the "drink" button do?
(yes.....i can see a 100 funny-guy answers comming up!.......but its a serious Q... ;-P
Old 25th March 2004, 13:13   #43
BHPian

Rehaan It gives the Driver the Drink which is stored in the Car. Normally its the Energy Drink which is there BUT it depends upon the Driver what he likes to have as they get De Hydrated real Fast so they require Drinks to keep them Stable in the HEAD !!!!!
Old 25th March 2004, 14:23   #44
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]
Rehaan It gives the Driver the Drink which is stored in the Car. Normally its the Energy Drink which is there BUT it depends upon the Driver what he likes to have as they get De Hydrated real Fast so they require Drinks to keep them Stable in the HEAD !!!!!
Really strenous races like the Malaysian GP make a driver lose something like 4 liters of water in that 1 1/2 hour stretch. You will notice a pipe on the helmet (at the drivers mouth positioning) when the drivers are putting their helmets on before the start. Different drivers have different fluid needs, but most drinks are to prevent dehydration and are specially prepared by their trainers.

Glenn Lindsay is Jordan Ford?s physiotherapist with the team?s health and wellbeing sponsor, vielife. "Maintenance of the body?s hydration status is vital in order to avoid loss of concentration and co-ordination which would have a serious impact on a driver?s race. In this environment, many factors combine to elevate body temperature: high ambient temperatures, the muscular effort of driving the car, the effect of the fireproof overalls, the helmet, the enclosed cockpit space, heat from the engine and radiant heat from the sun," Lindsay explains.

"The body lowers its temperature through sweating and drivers can lose up to 2kg during an F1 race, losing up to a litre of fluid per hour. In order to recover they have to drink more than they have lost, to allow for kidney function, so for example to replace a litre of lost fluid a driver would have to consume 1.5 litres."

"The type of drink is important as it should provide energy as well as replace fluid, especially where a race lasts longer than an hour. In this situation isotonic drinks, which have the same electrolyte concentration as the body, are useful. However in hotter climates, where sweat loss is greater, hypotonic drinks are perhaps more appropriate as rapid fluid replacement takes priority."

"The 72 hours prior to the race is the critical hydration period and on race day I encourage drivers to drink little and often, monitoring their hydration levels regularly. In fact feeling thirsty is not the best indicator because by the time you experience thirst, the body is already dehydrated. Basically it?s my job to keep a drink bottle in the drivers? faces at all times!"

Article sourced from F1-live

GTO
Old 25th March 2004, 18:47   #45
BHPian

GTO I dont think the Butterfly wheel will be any Good on the SL. K the looks are nice but doin 1.9 locks in that thing will be strenous and as it is its such an Heavy car which need constant correction.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks