Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Int'l Motorsport
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd August 2010, 13:44   #91
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
Depends on what you would interpret as being an apology I suppose. I haven't visited MS's German website but here is what I read in Post 81 -

However, having received a 10-place grid penalty for the next round from the Budapest stewards - and having had a day to reflect - Schumacher has now conceded that he overstepped the mark.

“Yesterday right after the race I was still in the heat of the moment, but after I watched the scene with Rubens again, I must say that the stewards were right in their assessment - the manoeuvre against him was too hard,” he told his official website.

“Of course I wanted to make it difficult for him to overtake and I showed him clearly that I didn’t want to let him down the inside, but I wasn’t trying to endanger him with my manoeuvre. If he felt that way, then sorry, that was not my intention.”

Sounds like an apology to me although, technically, you could be correct since he has not stated it as "I apologize"........
After he was penalised in Monaco by his old nemesis whiner Damon Hill he did say something on the same lines with a smile and he is not someone who keeps whining about it and its good for him to positively get over it. I am sure he had no intentions of putting RB to the wall. Senna was very well known for his ruthlessness on track and most drivers from the earlier decade did. Michael is one of them who is ruthless and agressive on track, well thats what racing is supposed to be. Unlike the whiners we have on track!

In a recent TG episode there is a small documentary on Senna. Martin Blundle, who was Senna's teammate talks about how Senna used to play with the psychology of other drivers while racing and Michael's move was more like it. More to do with the aggressive racing genes that the drivers had in the good old times. If you get a chance to watch the episode, you will know what I am trying to talk about.

Now making Michael's statement look like an apology is something!
Old 3rd August 2010, 13:56   #92
BHPian

RB has not been a great/good driver anyday. He is just an executor. He never had or has the guts to make such a move. Just before he got into the slipstream, he got a radio message from his team, that MS was holding his line longer, which implied RB to take the outside. It was stupid move by RB and the team, and what we have here is a penalty for a RACE driver defending his position.

Last edited by 2theMax : 3rd August 2010 at 13:58.
Old 3rd August 2010, 14:02   #93
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anachronix View Post
If you get a chance to watch the episode, you will know what I am trying to talk about.
Well, back in those days I was an out & out Senna fan & have seen quite a bit of him. But Senna was Senna & MS is MS. And I do not believe in the line that is very often used these days about how the drivers in the good old days had the genes in them & none of the current pack do - highly debatable when you have the likes of Hamilton & Webber around today.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2theMax View Post
RB has not been a great/good driver anyday. He is just an executor. He never had or has the guts to make such a move.
He always did have the guts, problem was he was the No 2 driver at Ferrari & had to always toe the line. He didn't have any such restrictions day before & it showed

Last edited by suman : 3rd August 2010 at 14:06.
Old 3rd August 2010, 14:03   #94
Senior - BHPian

Smoking STR from Hungary

Smoking STR from Hungary
Attached Thumbnails
2010 F1 Budapest - Hungaroring Grand Prix-jamie.jpg  

Old 3rd August 2010, 15:10   #95
Senior - BHPian

Yeah. MS is a great driver. A lion.

I just wonder why he is getting beaten by the cub (Nico) so consistently. Any analysis why?
Old 3rd August 2010, 15:17   #96
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc View Post

I just wonder why he is getting beaten by the cub (Nico) so consistently. Any analysis why?
Simple ! Stop doing what you do for a living on a daily basis for 2 years, come back and try doing the same thing, you'll get the answer.

One sould remember it is a 4+ year break for each track .

Last edited by 2theMax : 3rd August 2010 at 15:19.
Old 3rd August 2010, 15:55   #97
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Simple ! Stop doing what you do for a living on a daily basis for 2 years, come back and try doing the same thing, you'll get the answer.

One sould remember it is a 4+ year break for each track .
Well.. cant compare what we do for a living to what he does
Rosberg is bloody quick, easily the fastest team mate MS has ever had
MS has come in after 3 yrs and had to adjust and catch up to 3 yrs of car development where car hanlding has evolved quite a bit

Though even next yr (if he's still around), I dont see him beating Nico

I repeat, his time is over!
It is THEIR TIME NOW
Old 3rd August 2010, 15:56   #98
BHPian

Mercedes some how does not have the same charm this season. The car I guess is slightly slower than the competition. But let us also remember that they are in the 1st season as a team. Lets give them some time to prove themseves.
MS might be an old horse as compared to the newer breed but has seen much more action than any 1 else.
Old 3rd August 2010, 16:00   #99
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc View Post

There are multiple reasons for that :

1. MS is now 41 years old and whether you admit it or not, your reactions are not as strong as they are when you were younger. Still, considering that MS is not that far off Nico's pace in some races, we can say that he hasn't lost much of his pace.

2. When MS retired in 2006, the regulations were a lot different than they are today. There was a tyre competition between Michelin and Bridgestone and the aero rules changed a lot since 2009. Traction control and other driver aids have been banned. F1 was using grooved tyres instead of the slicks that we see these days. The other drivers have 2-3 years more experience on these regulations while MS doesn't .

3. Bridgestone Tyres. These days we have a control tyre which means the compounds remain the same for the whole season. Other drivers have experience with the control tyres for the past 3 years while MS doesn't.

4. The Testing ban. Earlier, MS and Ferrari could do unlimited testing and find out their problems and work on solving them. Nowadays, they don't have that advantage.

5. MS had no input in the design of the car. We have to remember that Brawn/ Mercedes GP designed the car thinking that Jenson and Nico would be driving the car during 2010. When Button left the team at the last possible moment, the car was mostly done. And Button's style is completely different to Schumi's. And setup changes can help you only a little when the basic car is not suited to your style.

6. Ban on Refuelling. Brawn and Schumi were experts at strategy. Schumi's first Championship was the first season when Refuelling was introduced. Schumi was an expert at doing blinding in laps and out laps and then coming out ahead of everyone else by the end of the pitstops. Just take a look at the 2004 French GP for an idea of how they used to do this. With the ban on refuelling, this strategy doesn't work anymore.

These are some of the reasons for his problems this year. I'm sure i missed a few but these are the main ones.
Old 3rd August 2010, 16:12   #100
BHPian

Quote:
RB has not been a great/good driver anyday. He is just an executor.
Not bad for an 'executor' to be the longest serving driver in F1. He may not be the greatest driver out there but he is certainly good by any yardstick.

Quote:
It was stupid move by RB and the team, and what we have here is a penalty for a RACE driver defending his position.
MS himself says the stewards were right to penalise him because he crossed the line with the move he made.

Be objective guys. It is very easy to believe conspiracy theories but if one looks at stewards' actions in aggregate over a period of time it is pretty evident that none of the teams have been particularly penalised/favoured. The stewards are applying the rule book. They are not kangaroo courts.
Old 3rd August 2010, 16:49   #101
Senior - BHPian

^^
A drive through penalty for overtaking a SC

Vs

A drive through penalty for staying over 10 car distance from the SC

How does it compare?
Old 3rd August 2010, 17:33   #102
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anachronix View Post
^^
A drive through penalty for overtaking a SC

Vs

A drive through penalty for staying over 10 car distance from the SC

How does it compare?
Well that's an easy one pal (and I can't understand why one would question decisions like these).

Both are clear rule infringements in the FIA rule-book with certain specified penalties. Both can be used to gain unfair advantage and hence the penalties.

The thing we need to understand is (and we definitely can't understand it by questioning INDIVIDUAL decisions) - officials in all sports are there to apply the rules. That's their job. That's why they are there. More often than not there are clear-cut rules to be applied to a situation. You see a case, consult the rule-book, determine legality and hand out penalties/dismiss the case.

Then there are situations where one may be required to 'interpret' a rule. Here there is definitely a room for error. All officials in all games make mistakes. We have seen that in cricket, football and what not. Everybody is human and it is perfectly ok to make mistakes. BUT over a period of time the decisions even out. One season you have 2 decisions going against Ferrari, next season you might see 3 going against McLaren. IMO to smell conspiracies in each decision is not the right way to approach the sport. I might not like it if a driver I am supporting is handed a penalty based on dodgy rule interpretation but if one is objective enough, he/she just needs to look back and realize the same has happened to a number of other drivers on the grid as well. And let's not forget that more often than not teams on the receiving end can appeal decisions. So like I said, these are not kangaroo courts with judge, jury and executioner all rolled into one.
Old 3rd August 2010, 18:03   #103
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
He always did have the guts, problem was he was the No 2 driver at Ferrari & had to always toe the line. He didn't have any such restrictions day before & it showed
Oh really.So how do they decide No1 and No2 - "Hey your name is Michael Schumacher,so you are No1 and hey your name is Rubens,so you are No2" like that??

RB was faster now and then over Michael but Michael was ruthless and always was faster.

I would have really admired RB's guts,if he had told Ferrari in 2002 "Hey I am not a No2" and walked away from F2002.No one told RB that to stay in F1 he has to be a No2 to Michael.It was his choice or the lack of it

Why keep moaning about it now - oh wait,is there something that Rubens doesnt moan about in F1
Old 3rd August 2010, 18:37   #104
BHPian

Schumi's main adversary was a Mclaren that used to stall at the starting grid, and whenever it used to start he was only second best to Hakkinen.
Old 3rd August 2010, 18:57   #105
BHPian

Schumacher was nearly black-flagged

So says one of the race steward. Gives the impression that all 4 stewards were in favor of disqualifying MS but ran out of time by the time they decided.

Article on autosport.

autosport.com - F1 News: Schumacher was nearly black-flagged

MS Fans (and I happen to be one - of his driving only ) - don't shoot the messenger.

And before we start deriding the steward in question (Derek Warwick - also a former F1 driver), please also read this (esp. the last 2 paras in the article):

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/moto...ne/8880167.stm

Last edited by Cesc : 3rd August 2010 at 19:04.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks