Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Int'l Motorsport

Search this Thread
Old 23rd August 2010, 20:15   #46
Senior - BHPian

My GOD! What can I say?
Old 23rd August 2010, 20:24   #47
Senior - BHPian

Terrific post GTO - very technical and yet quite personal. Like Samurai, I hardly go through the motorsports section. But I went through this with a lot of interest. Thank you for sharing and congratulations on winning the trophy.

I feel it so boring watching an F1 race on the TV; it being quite monotonous (I like to watch WRC on TV). But I am sure watching a race on TV and actually driving a formula car on the track would be worlds apart in terms of feel and experience. It is like the difference between watching a roller coaster ride on TV and actually getting into one of the cars for a ride. You have expressed the difference very well.

-Biju

Last edited by pjbiju : 23rd August 2010 at 20:31.
Old 23rd August 2010, 20:28   #48
Distinguished - BHPian

What an experience! And congratulations on the trophy, Rush.

I'm sure most BHPians would get themselves disqualified by choice before they got to such an event - mainly because they'd part with an arm and a leg to be invited, and then they wouldn't be allowed to drive because of the disability!
Old 23rd August 2010, 20:33   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
I don't know many auto enthusiast/reviewers who can kick serious butt in a open wheeler on an F1 track and you did.
Exactly what I wanted and expected from you.
Totally agree. Despite his denials, we have to assert here that our superAdmin practices what he preaches.
Old 23rd August 2010, 22:16   #50
BHPian

There really is no better way to fine-tune your driving skills. This session was a reminder that us BHPians should visit the gokart track more often, wot!!?[/quote]

I can't agree to your words on Go-Karting more here.

Taking a drive in the 2-Seater Formula car and Tailgating a pro-racer is surely a lifetime's experience and can be cherished all your life!

May all true T-BHP Petrolheads here get a chance like GTO!

Amen!
Old 23rd August 2010, 23:45   #51
Team-BHP Support

Beautifully penned down, I could feel the emotions and you are one of the selected few whose reviews/impressions I wait for.
^^I loved the driving shoes, any review of those against Puma/Ferrari driving shoes?

Edit--
Congratulations on the trophy, you more than deserve it and thanks for sharing this beautiful experience with us.

Last edited by Sheel : 23rd August 2010 at 23:47.
Old 23rd August 2010, 23:52   #52
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
Does it have a 6 CD changer?
I was looking at the pics, thinking, "All that money, and not even a decent music system!"
Old 24th August 2010, 01:26   #53
Senior - BHPian

Wow. Looks like you had a ball. These are serious machines with slicks and full downforce. Did it have carbon brakes?

Would like to ride a 2 seater myself something. That would be something!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The white face mask not only holds your sweat, but it is also fireproof:
called a Balaclava & made from nomex for fire protection.
Old 24th August 2010, 06:26   #54
SSkreeee

Note from the Team-BHP Support : SMS / Slang is STRICTLY prohibited on this community. We would much appreciate your using full & proper English in posts, for the benefit of other forum users.

Please view our board rules carefully before proceeding any further.

Niceeee so uve just experienced what i am experiencing since the past 6 months at the Bridgestone Racing Academy in Canada....those cars r pretty crazy...
Specs:
chassis- van diemen
engine- 2.3ltr. inline4 mazda engine(from mazda3 n mazda6.)
power- 170 bhp
weight- 450kg
sorry dunno the 0-100 time as never cared to check out or ask.
Our track is pretty tight n small for these cars which is why we run radials (bridgestone RE11 high performance tires)..
Max speed we were able to get to on the longest stretch was 171 kph in 3rd gear....posting some pictures of my academy n the cars.

Picture #1- my seniors getting ready to test the cars after they were stored for winter.

Picture #2- cars in the west side of our shop ...sorry i dont have the pics of the east side probably can get one by tomo or day after.

Picture #3- warming up the cars on a cold morning before driving them to the pits.

Picture #4- thats me all ready to tame the beast...(i no i look ugly wearing the balaclava) but it real doesnt matter how u look.

Picture #5- cars lined up for another day of lapping.

Picture #6- a section of our track...corners 4,5,6,7....there r two ways to go around either take the swoop(the inner part of the track with couple extra corners) or the straight down (the straight down portion of the track on the extreme left).

Picture #7- another section of the track corners 2 n 3....and the last corner ...corner 12 if u can see it on the top left side..these pictures were taken when i was flagging at corner 4 while our seniors were testing.

Picture #8- corners 4,8,9,10

Picture #9- the car i crashed on the second day of my 3 day school which i have to do inorder to get a license to drive open wheel cars...luckily i wasnt responsible for the damage on that day...even though if i had damage responsibilities i wouldnt have to pay cause after looking into the damage while working on it there was a suspension bearing failure.

Picture #10- last day of my 3 days school we had a race and i won the race with the fastest time on that day between 2 groups...(there were 2 groups made by the officials due to some so called safety issues).

i hit a time of 58.8 n the track record is 55.8 by an ex-instructor whose holding the record since the past 2 years...though i dont intend on breaking the track record as i am concentrating on my technique n improving my times every lap.

will upload the picture of the steering n display as soon as i get a change to click a picture of it as i couldnt upload the video i have.
Attached Thumbnails
Driving a Formula Renault at the Michelin Pilot Experience, Sepang!-img00010201004121305.jpg  

Driving a Formula Renault at the Michelin Pilot Experience, Sepang!-img00043201005111430.jpg  

Driving a Formula Renault at the Michelin Pilot Experience, Sepang!-img00013201004121433.jpg  

Driving a Formula Renault at the Michelin Pilot Experience, Sepang!-img00096201007051148.jpg  

Driving a Formula Renault at the Michelin Pilot Experience, Sepang!-img00092201006190746.jpg  

Driving a Formula Renault at the Michelin Pilot Experience, Sepang!-img00016201004131449.jpg  

Driving a Formula Renault at the Michelin Pilot Experience, Sepang!-img00018201004131450.jpg  

Driving a Formula Renault at the Michelin Pilot Experience, Sepang!-img00017201004131449.jpg  

Driving a Formula Renault at the Michelin Pilot Experience, Sepang!-img00049201005261553.jpg  

Driving a Formula Renault at the Michelin Pilot Experience, Sepang!-img00079201005271636.jpg  

Last edited by GTO : 24th August 2010 at 12:28. Reason: SMS / Slang is STRICTLY prohibited on this community. We would much appreciate your using full & proper English in posts

Old 24th August 2010, 07:53   #55
Senior - BHPian

Well penned down sir,felt as if i was taking part "in person".
Old 24th August 2010, 09:19   #56
Team-BHP Support

Great report. Now you know, an F1 drivers lot ain't easy, boiling in that suit, feeling every bump thump, the racket (9 laps is fine but for 75?), oh and you need to focus on whats happening around the track and get in front, plan tactics, be on top of your fitness.

End of it all, you are probably too knackered for the party afterwards. But the adrenalin rush....
Old 24th August 2010, 10:00   #57
RGK
Senior - BHPian

Again no doubt .......... a typical GTO report.

Just seeing in TV and some news items, I do not have any idea about Formula racing.
I heard these .. correct or wrong - bhpians have to answer
The race cars are made as much light as possible... so no water cooled radiators, no batteries, no starter motors .
The position is decided on the previous wins and points.
The tyres are replaced in pit shops less than 5 seconds

Thanks GTO for sharing and really did throw some light on these awesome sport.

PS: whenever developing countries like India (indians) start to participate and come good, climate change, global warming are initiated and threatened against us by the western lobby
Old 24th August 2010, 12:42   #58
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vibhanshu View Post
Whats the G-Force usually at corners (T3, T4, etc) - any counts?
Considering that all of us were first-timers, Philippe would have been taking it easy (compared to his usual standards). However, some of us still had sore necks after the 2 seater car. Hey, we ain't complaining

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
I had asked Rahul whether they might offer this on a fee basis for people willing to pay. but i guess thats not on the cards.
I made the suggestion to Rahul as well. Michelin wants to keep this event exclusive, and they probably have their reasons to. I actually read your complete report to know whats in store.

Seriously can't think of any reason why a petrolhead shouldn't take part in the annual contest. It's the only way for him / her to be a part of this experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
I loved the driving shoes, any review of those against Puma/Ferrari driving shoes?
Haven't tried out the Pumas, yet can tell you these were AMAZING! I'm going to pick up a pair for highway driving

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Did it have carbon brakes?
Here is the full tech info on the car we drove.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSkreeee View Post
Niceeee so uve just experienced what i am experiencing since the past 6 months at the Bridgestone Racing Academy in Canada
Awesome! Are you a professional racer?

Quote:
Our track is pretty tight n small for these cars
You can say that again. The track looks very narrow. Maybe, once ever so often, you guys should pay a visit to the Montreal F1 track?

Quote:
last day of my 3 days school we had a race and i won the race with the fastest time on that day between 2 groups
Quote:
i hit a time of 58.8 n the track record is 55.8 by an ex-instructor whose holding the record since the past 2 years
I'm so looking at doing some racing schools (just for fun) after this experience. Could you please create a new thread with the different options, tips etc.? Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Now you know, an F1 drivers lot ain't easy, boiling in that suit, feeling every bump thump, the racket (9 laps is fine but for 75?), oh and you need to focus on whats happening around the track and get in front, plan tactics, be on top of your fitness.
True. Still beats a boring desk job though!
Old 24th August 2010, 15:23   #59
Distinguished - BHPian

GTO, I don't even watch motor racing on TV, and doubt very much that I would ever go to an event (I couldn't stand the noise for a start) but it is still interesting to read about these cars and the experience of driving them. As was posted by another member, I wouldn't normally be interested in a motor sport thread, but both narayan and you have written absolutely gripping and fascinating reports.

I'd like to have a go on that simulator... I don't think I could cope with the real thing!
Old 24th August 2010, 15:54   #60

Nice post Rush!!

Rush,That was a beautiful account of the track day at Sepang and you got in some nice photgraphs also!
I went back the next day as you know and took some photographs.
The next day was purely driving and no quiz session.Got to drive around 50 laps with Phillipe and the other driver from Macau in all the cars- Audi TT RS and the Subaru Imprezas and also the Golf GTI which was pressed into service when the Audi TT's brakes could not manage the pace.
I was really scared a couple of times that we would be plastered to the side wall.
Also did a couple of rounds in the Porsche GT3.Phenomenal!!
The pictures below are of the formula Michelin which had a Hayabusa engine max speed of 220kph and 0-100 in 4secs.power- 197 bhp.Weight 600kgs. Had to keep the revs above 10,000 to get anywhere!!typical Japanese motorcyle engine.
Attached Thumbnails
Driving a Formula Renault at the Michelin Pilot Experience, Sepang!-sepang-1-large.jpg  

Driving a Formula Renault at the Michelin Pilot Experience, Sepang!-sepang-2-large.jpg  

Driving a Formula Renault at the Michelin Pilot Experience, Sepang!-sepang-3-large.jpg  

Driving a Formula Renault at the Michelin Pilot Experience, Sepang!-sepang-4-large.jpg  

Driving a Formula Renault at the Michelin Pilot Experience, Sepang!-sepang-large.jpg  

Most Viewed