Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Int'l Motorsport
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th June 2011, 14:29   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: Hall of Fame- Michael Schumacher

Quote:
Originally Posted by good.car-ma View Post
F1 is NOT popular only thanks to Michael Schumacher and Ferrari Please understand that while that may be true for some, particularly those who have started watching in the early 2000s, it is absolutely not the sole reason as you seem to think
I am not talking about early 2000 viewers. Earlier also F1 was popular among EU and West. But F1 had gained popularity all over world between 1995 and 2005.

Cheers!

Vinu
Old 8th June 2011, 14:56   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anachronix View Post
I agree Raikkonen did some brilliant races! But there was a lot of interest from fans or media only on the off track events rather than racing in 2007 season!

Even if Ferrari dominated 2004 season and Michael won the championship by Spa, there was Kimi standing on top of the podium at Spa after giving a good fight with Michael in an average Mclaren. Need that kind of racing. Not 2 losers fighting for championship in the last corner of the last lap in the last race of the season and call it the best season ever!

In Spain 1996, Michael did some good racing in the wets which is talked about even today. All that we see now is Red Flags & SC when there is little rain on the track. Korea 2010 for an example! It has become artificial racing and the DRS only proves that point!
Im assuming youre talking about 2008 and the two "losers"

Yeah, Korea showed that race control is making F1 drivers wimps and attemoting too much control over racing.
Old 8th June 2011, 15:09   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by myavu View Post
I am not talking about early 2000 viewers. Earlier also F1 was popular among EU and West. But F1 had gained popularity all over world between 1995 and 2005.

Cheers!

Vinu
As did English premier league, Spanish football, NBA, Wimbledon and many other sporting events!

Its due to the entry and broadcasting of ESPNStar in these regions, rather than one man or one team.
Old 8th June 2011, 16:45   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Its due to the entry and broadcasting of ESPNStar in these regions, rather than one man or one team.
Do you really think if a sport is telecasted through a channel it will become popular. There should be some thing to initiate. There should be a cause. There are many other motor sports telecasted through ESPNStar like Le Mans, Touring, WRC, SBK, GP2, etc. Why they are not popular like F1? As per you those should have also be popular by any-means this part of the continent. I still believe Ferrari and MS had a huge roll in advertising F1. Sorry these are purely my thoughts.

Cheers!

Vinu
Old 8th June 2011, 17:05   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicvic View Post
What about the race when he was given a drive through penalty, and he chose to do it at the end of the last lap. The British GP, forgotten which year 97 maybe. He won it by driving through the pitlane.
Sheer Genius!
i believe this is what you were referring to.
NikhilSorot is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2011, 17:06   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Do you really think if a sport is telecasted through a channel it will become popular. There should be some thing to initiate. There should be a cause. There are many other motor sports telecasted through ESPNStar like Le Mans, Touring, WRC, SBK, GP2, etc. Why they are not popular like F1? As per you those should have also be popular by any-means this part of the continent. I still believe Ferrari and MS had a huge roll in advertising F1. Sorry these are purely my thoughts.

Cheers!

Vinu
F1 is inherently a more popular sport than WRC or LeMans etc due to a number of factors (some which u touched upon yourself - that it had the best technology).

Tell me - How many people watched EPL before 1998 or F1 before 1997? Very few die-hard fans. Because ESPNStar had just begun and broadcast of these events were pathetic (DD Sports anyone?) or non-existent.

The reason for the boom in sports awareness in the last 10 years or so is purely because sports has become that much more accessible to the viewer thanks to ESPN not to Michael Schumacher.

What you're saying is like saying the show FRIENDS became popular in India due to Mathew Perry or Courtney Cox and not because StarWorld chose to broadcast it and promote it.

I understand you're a Schumacher fan but please let us stick to common sense. I'm not saying lets not talk about his achievements but lets not attribute everything to him from F1's popularity to the earth's rotation about the sun.

I rest my case. If youd like to have a rational discussion regarding the racer MS, lets carry on. Else you may state what you like and i shall refrain from responding in the interests of the thread's topic
Old 8th June 2011, 17:31   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I rest my case. If youd like to have a rational discussion regarding the racer MS, lets carry on. Else you may state what you like and i shall refrain from responding in the interests of the thread's topic
Hope we are discussing all these in Hall of Fame- Michael Schumacher thread. So let us stick to that. As you said I am a diehard MS fan. Even if not so, I wonder how many of will disagree that Ferrari and MS didn't contribute nothing to F1.

Cheers!

Vinu
Old 8th June 2011, 17:35   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikhilSorot View Post
i believe this is what you were referring to.
Very much. F1 was so so better in those days. All these unpredictable incidents. Nowadays i don't have the anticipation of a race weekend , the way i used to have then.
Old 8th June 2011, 17:46   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikhilSorot View Post
Thats an unbelievable lead he had over Mika in hardly 7 laps

No wonder he left the sport too soon
Old 8th June 2011, 22:36   #55
BANNED

Something more unbelievable videos from F1 History

This is what makes LEGENDS...
PAVAN KADAM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2011, 01:00   #56
BHPian

ESPN or No ESPN, MS is the king of F1.

You can agree or disagree but the fact remains.
Skyline GT-R is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2011, 13:06   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anachronix View Post
Great point there sir!

If anyone wants to know how ruthless Senna is on track, watch this video and also notice the green car which finally overtakes Senna

YouTube - ‪F1: Senna, Prost, Schumacher battle‬‏
There currently exists a rule that states a driver in front can make only one move to block the driver behind him from overtaking.
for e.g drivers move to the inside line to defend.
they CANNOT move about/weave to defend.

this rule( i'm pretty sure) did not exist those days, therefore one witnessed more aggressive overtaking/defending.
This a loophole in the rules and does not fault a particular driver
Old 13th June 2011, 10:26   #58
Senior - BHPian

MS simply need a fast car. Yesterday (MONTREAL) he could have finished 2nd easily.

What ever it is, what a race from master. WOW!

Watch it out, if Merc is working on a faster car, boy oh boy he's gonna win for sure.

Cheers!

Vinu
myavu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2011, 20:28   #59
BHPian

Quote:
MS simply need a fast car. Yesterday (MONTREAL) he could have finished 2nd easily.

What ever it is, what a race from master. WOW!
The man is a master, and his Montreal performance did show that he's still got some of 'it' left in him!

With the upgrades expected on his car coming in, lets hope for the best!
Old 2nd July 2011, 08:16   #60
Senior - BHPian

Not sure if this was posted here earlier. But a good recap narrated by Murray Walker on Michael's career!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks