Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Int'l Motorsport
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th October 2010, 00:18   #91
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmiester View Post

I strongly believe F1 was far better in the days of less rules and regulations. Now it sort of become a nanny sport.
Like Tony Fernandes and Branson proposed, I would like to see the blue flag rule banned. I would like to see the top drivers fight it out even with the back markers and not given a free pass. That would show the real driver's skills. If you have a superior car, then you would not have a hard time passing the back markers right, then why the blue flags?
People pay big money to watch a race and they would be definitely not be entertained if all they can see is a procession of cars from start to finish.

Bottom line I would like to see the top drivers fight it out on the track. That is why they are paid millions for.
The best driver will come out on top no matter what is thrown at him. I am not supporting or criticizing any drivers. I love motorsports so much that I hate to see people pointing fingers at it for controversies.
Sorry, but Fernandes and Branson I guess were drunk at that time when they passed the comment. If you look at Qualifying at Korea, Kubica (I guess) was not able to pass Senna who was doing his qualifying hot lap on the track even though he was 3-4 seconds faster than him.

Tilke's tracks mostly are garbage and some which are better have 1 or 2 overtaking spots which should be exploited for gaining places and not passing 'also-rans' in the race.

Also a faster car when coming to lap a slower one has done justice to its potential and asking it to overtake the slower one even though he is doing one lap more than the slower one is cruel to the guys at the front. Isn't it like punishing them for being good?

And how much will it take to fix the race and ruin the lap of the leader by these slow coaches? I would say that the slow ones have to show considerable speed as the season progresses, else drop them and save fuel.

The track is for real racers who race for positions and not for those who drive only to finish the race without any intent of racing.
Old 28th October 2010, 03:01   #92
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sorry, but Fernandes and Branson I guess were drunk at that time when they passed the comment. If you look at Qualifying at Korea, Kubica (I guess) was not able to pass Senna who was doing his qualifying hot lap on the track even though he was 3-4 seconds faster than him.
Maybe but they do have a point, a competent driver racing for a back marker will have a real chance to show his skills if he weren't just asked to slow down and let faster cars drive by.
Also I am not talking about qualifying, I am only talking about the main race.

Quote:
Tilke's tracks mostly are garbage and some which are better have 1 or 2 overtaking spots which should be exploited for gaining places and not passing 'also-rans' in the race.
Not every F1 driver start their career with a top team, all the top F1 drivers were once 'also-rans'. These 'also-rans' are not just racing for position, they are also racing for a job. Most of these drivers pay their own money or bring in sponsors for a chance to race. Please give them their due.

Quote:
And how much will it take to fix the race and ruin the lap of the leader by these slow coaches?
This is a concern and I do agree about it.

Quote:
I would say that the slow ones have to show considerable speed as the season progresses, else drop them and save fuel.
MotorSports is an evolution, todays top teams were once the slower teams. It needs years of development and funding to move from being a back marker to the top of the field. Case in point, Red Bull F1.
If teams are dropped for not showing progress over a single season, no new teams would bother venturing into F1.

Quote:
The track is for real racers who race for positions and not for those who drive only to finish the race without any intent of racing.
All the F1 drivers are real racers, that is why they are part of the grid. No one is trying to just drive the cars. The majority of the overtaking moves happen at the back of the field usually out of coverage as most TV producers insist on having the cameras fixed on front runners.

In the end, support the sport don't just support a team or a driver. They are just a name which will fade over the years, its only the sport which moves on.
Old 28th October 2010, 11:43   #93
BHPian

The problem with letting backmarkers race with the front runners is that then we will have major teams running B teams, whose sole purpose would be to help their main team by slowing down competitors. I do understand Tony's stance, but it would be a disaster if the rule was put in place due to the possibility of a Torro Rosso driver holding up a Mclaren/ Ferrari driver to give the Red Bull team an advantage , or a Sauber driver holding up a Redbull/ Mclaren driver to give advantage to the Ferrari team.
Old 28th October 2010, 22:49   #94
Senior - BHPian

There is no incentive for overtaking a driver who is a lap slower than the leaders. Plus it will lead to a host of other problems.

I know that most drivers start with a slow team but they distinguish themselves by putting the car in places it doesn't deserve to be (Positively).

HRT I guess haven't got a single update till date after the launch of their car. But Lotus are showing improvement and Virgin are showing a new way to develop cars and are trying to close the gap. HRT ain't doing anything other than giving the drive to the driver who has the highest bid.

I am talking about these kind of teams. The other teams are more closely knit in terms of performance than the previous years and I want to see good racing between them.
If Lotus/Virgin/HRT want to join the gang, they better be extracting more performance from their cars rather than asking for these silly requests.

And as you said RedBull were a 'also-ran' but they developed their technical prowess and invested funds, to come up to the top and not by asking for favours from other teams.

If Fernandes and Branson feel they want their car to race Ferrari/McLaren/Red-Bull, then they will have to improve their car. I would say that their statement is just PR BS and aimed at attracting more sponsors.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks