Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Int'l Motorsport
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th January 2011, 03:05   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Narain Karthikeyan back in F1! News Narain Karthikeyan back in F1! 6 January

If it was all money, there would be a bunch of middle easterners on the grid.
But, I don't see one.
I wonder why.
Old 7th January 2011, 03:09   #17
Senior - BHPian

Re: Narain Karthikeyan back in F1! News Narain Karthikeyan back in F1! 6 January

An F1 superlicense. They don't hand those out freely.
Old 7th January 2011, 06:55   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranavt View Post
Hahaha, there's the 107% rule coming in this year. How many bucks gets you a race seat at HRT? It's obvious he's got in because of Tata's money.
It is quite a known fact that popular sport and sponsorships are intertwined. Hence it is no wonder. But an Indian conglomerate sponsoring an Indian ought to be taken in good spirit.
Old 7th January 2011, 06:57   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
People like Raikkonen (Sauber), Webber (Minardi), Alonso (Minardi), Schumacher (Jordan), Vettel (Torro Rosso), Senna (Toleman, compare his results with the rest of the results of the team) and almost everyone else made their mark in a small low-budget team with a dog of a car. Few apart from Hamilton, Montoya, Villeneuve and a couple more have directly landed in a race-winning car. If the F1 teams, who do actually know more than the Indian press, thought that he deserved a seat, he would've had one.
No one said that Karthikeyan is a great driver and I wouldn't give the Indian press to much credit either. I am completely with you on this, that had he been very talented, he could have done better with a poor car.

Quote:
No need to get agitated over the need for proof from another source. The international press hadn't picked up this piece of news, which is why I was curious. And yes, I am satisfied; thank you for the concern.
Apologies if that got your goat, but glad to know that you are satisfied.

Quote:
Tata could've sponsored Chandhok, who actually didn't get a proper chance to show his skills, unlike Karthikeyan who managed to crash and destroy his car on a straight in his final GP for Jordan. And a driver who has actually been driving Formula 1 cars recently, unlike Karthikeyan who has been racing trucks.
Yes, Karun Chandhok could have been sponsored instead. But since he wasn't, this becomes hypothetical. Also, I think Narain deserves another chance and while he did crash on the last race, Williams thought that he was good enough to be their test driver for a couple of years. He was faster than Nico Rosberg when he tested with Williams (Link).

That doesn't prove much, unless he gets the chance to race in a reasonably good car, we can never truly judge his potential. Would the drive with Hispania give him that, I don't think so. But I for one won't grudge him (by wishing that he be sacked or any other way) his comeback.

Quote:
Another country famous for pay-drivers is Japan, who have almost always been sponsored by Honda or Toyota. Barring a couple of moderately-good drivers and an upcoming star, the rest of the pack has been below standard. All it ends up doing is create a negative stereotype about the particular country's drivers.
All teams require a lot of money to run, generally the smaller teams get the drivers to pay a huge chunk, in fact Narain was asked to provide $11.7 million to retain his seat at Jordan. While you have a point about the stereotypical Japanese drivers, our count of drivers in Formula 1 is way too small to form a stereotype.
Old 7th January 2011, 08:29   #20
BHPian

Force India won't launch 2011 car until second test | Force India | Formula 1 news, live F1 | ESPN F1

Force india will not launch the new car till second test and Yes Narain has signed for hrt

HRT signs Narain Karthikeyan for 2011 | HRT F1 | Formula 1 news, live F1 | ESPN F1
Old 7th January 2011, 13:04   #21
Senior - BHPian

The news should actually be read like this "Narain Karthikeyan signs HRT for his F1 seat in 2011"!
Old 7th January 2011, 13:25   #22
BHPian

The problem with this is that no one is sure that HRT will be on the grid when the season starts. There is no news on their car and they don't have a design team. Their deal with Toyota fell through due to non payment, so i wonder how they are going to get a car, unless they plan to race with their 2010 car.

Narain is a decent guy. He is fast on his day, but his problem is consistency. He makes too many mistakes and his good days are far in between. He had a chance of being on the podium in Indy 2005, but he lost out to Tiago Monteiro who was a really slow guy.
I hope he does better in his second chance. Atleast, he doesn't depend on his dad's connections to go places. All his achievements have been through sheer hardwork.
Old 7th January 2011, 14:46   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amartya View Post
Also, I think Narain deserves another chance and while he did crash on the last race, Williams thought that he was good enough to be their test driver for a couple of years. He was faster than Nico Rosberg when he tested with Williams (Link).
By that logic, Karthikeyan was faster than Schumacher and Rosberg, considering this year's performances.
Old 7th January 2011, 14:59   #24
BHPian

@Pranav : What are you trying to prove ? It's clear you don't like this bloke. you don't have to try hard.

I would not even in my insane sense would hope that somebody's ride breaks down,leave alone getting sacked..uh that's gross.

This thread is digressing.Thanks to you .
Old 7th January 2011, 15:44   #25
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Congrats to Narain! Hope 2011 works out well for him.

Note from Mod : Please stick to the topic.
Old 7th January 2011, 15:48   #26
Senior - BHPian

Suprise surprise!
We didnt have a clue on what Narain & HRT were planning.
With the Indian GP on, this was the ideal year for Indian drivers entering F1
TATA is investing pretty heavily in motorsport, which is a good sign.

But the question is, isnt this bad news for Chandhok?
It will be extremely difficult for 2 Indian pay drivers to be in F1
Old 7th January 2011, 16:02   #27
BHPian

i dont think both of these guys have raced against each other in the past,rite? so it would be nice to see karun in the other HRT seat and we can once and for all decide who the fastest indian is . Congrats to Narian..
Old 7th January 2011, 18:47   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatari View Post
Suprise surprise!
We didnt have a clue on what Narain & HRT were planning.
Nothing to plan. You show up 3 days before a race with a huge sum of money and one of the existing drivers will mysteriously have an upset stomach or some other random health complaint. HRT is nothing more than a very expensive track-day car rental service.
Old 7th January 2011, 19:11   #29
BHPian

For most Indian F1 fans like myself, NK was the second biggest thing to happen after Schumacher. F1 popularity grew tremendously when NK took to the track. We also have to credit him for having the faith of Tata's and other sponsors to get the bucks required to re-enter.
Congrats to NK Will wait to see him in Noida for the Indian GP.
Old 7th January 2011, 20:20   #30
BHPian

Good news and my best wishes to NK.
Looking forward for the season with an additional excitement.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks