Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Int'l Motorsport

Search this Thread
Old 13th January 2011, 00:07   #61
Senior - BHPian

Re: Narain Karthikeyan back in F1! News Narain Karthikeyan back in F1! 6 January

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranavt View Post
I'd rather be proud of an Indian company that can blow enough money on a 34 year old has-been just to make front pages of all newspapers.
Firstly get off the dream that any company is going to blow a paisa on anything without returns let alone being proud of it. If TATA is doing it, there is something to be gained, not from the aam aadmi, but from an informed section. Now you want to crib about the has been driver ? Exactly what planet are you from ? Your location says mumbai and I know where that is. You have to reorient yourself before making any sense here.
Old 13th January 2011, 00:48   #62
BHPian

Re: Narain Karthikeyan back in F1! News Narain Karthikeyan back in F1! 6 January

Quote:
I do not see how a guy who rents a car with someone else's money can do a country proud. Unless you consider the Indian media and the new generation of F1 fans (who've been introduced through Karthikeyan's first entry and Mallya's team) as a whole country.
@pranav - Lets not forget that NK comes from India, where kids dont start racing go-karts at age 6 like Shumi, secondly the facilities for motor sport were practically non existent across the country (except for the Chennai Race track). Having NK (or KC) in F1 gives wings to a lot of wannabees which in turn improves infrastructure. Today we have the Polo Cup happening in India, while earlier a NK or KC had to go abroad to race.
Just the PR generated because an Indian driver is in F1 is productive for growth of motorsport in India and will go a long way in bringing out the next Shumi / Senna / Lewis / Alonso / Vettle from India.
NK & KC are just crusaders who are holding the motorsport candle in a cricket crazy nation..!!
Old 13th January 2011, 10:40   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Having our very own homegrown Yamamoto is nothing to be proud of.
It is definitely something to be proud of. Remember that despite coming from a wealthy industrial family, NK had to fight almost insurmountable odds to get to F1. And once he broke in, things became comparatively easier for the next driver. As this process gains momentum, future drivers with lots of talent but from modest backgrounds can have a chance. As a pioneer, he deserves at least this last hurrah! It is mean to deny him that and wish he be sacked asap or his car blows up on track!

He may not be the best driver, but he is the best Indian driver with the F1 license and charisma at this moment.

Quote:
I'd rather be proud of an Indian company that can blow enough money on a 34 year old has-been just to make front pages of all newspapers.
So the TATAs are ignoramuses and are merely blowing up their money?

Let me put a hypothetical question. Assume for a moment there are foreign cricket (club) teams similar to football teams. An Indian with bags of money buys one such team, names it India Super Force (with no Indian players), that team plays a match with the Indian eleven at Mumbai. Which team would you root for? Which team do you think the crowd will root for?

I know that F1 team drivers are beyond nationality. But Indian crowds are not that mature yet. So if the sport is to become popular here, there have to be Indian drivers, even if they don't win.

Last edited by Gansan : 13th January 2011 at 10:51.
Old 13th January 2011, 11:44   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
..I know that F1 team drivers are beyond nationality. But Indian crowds are not that mature yet. So if the sport is to become popular here, there have to be Indian drivers, even if they don't win..
Give a Ferrari to NK or a HRT to Alonso to judge a driver. The sport is completely based on how good your car is. We saw how good a car the Red bulls were last season and the catching up from Ferrari was a little too late. Kovalainen finished 20th in 2010 while he finished 7th in 2008-2009. He was driving a Mclaren then.
Old 13th January 2011, 11:59   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
Let me put a hypothetical question. Assume for a moment there are foreign cricket (club) teams similar to football teams. An Indian with bags of money buys one such team, names it India Super Force (with no Indian players), that team plays a match with the Indian eleven at Mumbai. Which team would you root for? Which team do you think the crowd will root for?
You never got the whole point of what myself or Pranav were trying to say, or did you?

Quote:
I know that F1 team drivers are beyond nationality. But Indian crowds are not that mature yet. So if the sport is to become popular here, there have to be Indian drivers, even if they don't win.
That says it all!

Ask any Indian who follows F1 more seriously, I am sure none of them will be happy with the era F1 is going into. Heck, even the F1 drivers are not happy with F1 going back a whole decade back to the 80s. Its becoming pay drivers era in F1. Its a shame!

I seriously feel bad for a talent like Hulkenberg getting wasted without a F1 seat or even if Karun could have got his seat back with HRT with that money it would have sounded good. He was at least driving an F1 car last season! Not a truck driver who could bring some money to drive a F1 car!

For all the budding F1 fans, pray that Narain gets to drive on Sunday rather than sitting with Steve Slater sharing his antics in a media room. Remember, the 107% rule is back in 2011.

Quote:
Give a Ferrari to NK or a HRT to Alonso to judge a driver. The sport is completely based on how good your car is. We saw how good a car the Red bulls were last season and the catching up from Ferrari was a little too late. Kovalainen finished 20th in 2010 while he finished 7th in 2008-2009. He was driving a Mclaren then.
So Michael/Alonso/Hamilton or any world champion has his record only because he had a car that goes fast? Nothing to do with the driver?

I am out of this place guys! Hope to see more cheerful faces supporting NK in F1 2011.
Old 13th January 2011, 12:08   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So Michael/Alonso/Hamilton or any world champion has his record only because he had a car that goes fast? Nothing to do with the driver?
The driver skills can be judged only in a car that has the pace to lead the front pack. Schumi was cribbing about the car the whole year and afterwards. He was slower than Rosberg and blamed the car. This is our famed champion blaming the car when Rosberg driving the same car was atleast 0.5 of a second faster and drove like someone who could have won a race.

How can one judge NK when he is driving the last four cars in the race. And Schumi/Alonso/Hamilton did not struggle to get into the F1 as NK did. What facility do we have to support a budding driver in India. We dont have facility to promote Hockey or for that matter any sport except cricket.

Am i proud to see NK in F1? "Oh Hell yeah"(Austin 3:16 style).
Old 13th January 2011, 12:14   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
I think in F1 you are always compared to your teammate. And a good driver always shines inspite of having a bad car. Schumi qualified 7th in a Jordan on his debut, while Alonso and Mark Webber did great things in a Minardi. This is what caught the eyes of better teams and the rest, as they say is history.

Narain, unfortunately couldn't do the same when he got the chance in 2005. He was definitely faster than his teammate Tiago Montiero, but was way more mistake prone. He could have made all us indians proud by being on the podium in 2005 ( even if the race was a farce ), but he lost out on a golden opportunity. In F1, you are always judged on how you make the best of the opportunities that you get. Narain, unfortunately didn't make the best of his chance.

However, all said, I am happy for him and hope he does better in his 2nd stint. He is a great guy and has to be credited for achieving so much in racing in a country where racing isn't popular, and also paving the way for others like Karun and Armaan. So although i am not proud of him for buying his way into F1, I wish him all the best and believe that if anyone in India deserves a tilt at F1, it is him.
Old 13th January 2011, 12:51   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The driver skills can be judged only in a car that has the pace to lead the front pack. Schumi was cribbing about the car the whole year and afterwards. He was slower than Rosberg and blamed the car. This is our famed champion blaming the car when Rosberg driving the same car was atleast 0.5 of a second faster and drove like someone who could have won a race.
So it was the car!

There was a rookie driver back in 1991 who qualified 7th on the grid on his debut. He also won the championship in 1994/95. Yeah, the car was insanely fast and fitted with 2 space ship propellers from NASA.

Quote:
How can one judge NK when he is driving the last four cars in the race. And Schumi/Alonso/Hamilton did not struggle to get into the F1 as NK did. What facility do we have to support a budding driver in India. We dont have facility to promote Hockey or for that matter any sport except cricket.
I agree there is not much backing for Motorsports or for any other sports in India other than for cricket!

All the credit he deserved back in 2005 for that achievement has been given already. He should have made good use of that chance, he did too much damage to the team with his awful mistakes in 2005 and had to find his way out.

The way he has found a seat back in F1 now is awful and shameful IMO. He should have earned it!

Quote:

Last edited by anachronix : 13th January 2011 at 12:53.
Old 14th January 2011, 15:31   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anachronix View Post
You never got the whole point of what myself or Pranav were trying to say, or did you?

I am out of this place guys! Hope to see more cheerful faces supporting NK in F1 2011.
^^ I thought you said you wanna get outta here. on your way out pls do try to catch up a bit of NASCAR truck series before you label someone as a Truck driver.

Criticise the system and where the sport is heading, personal attacks on a respectable sportsperson of this country is uncalled for and beyond ethics.

Good Luck !

Mods : I would suggest the thread be closed.

Last edited by 2theMax : 14th January 2011 at 15:36.
Old 14th January 2011, 16:07   #70
Senior - BHPian

Do realise that with his F1 race drive Narain did what other citizen on India has ever done before.
DOESNT THAT IN ITSELF COUNT FOR SOMETHING AMAZING?

Give the guy some credit.
Old 15th January 2011, 10:11   #71
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
So the TATAs are ignoramuses and are merely blowing up their money?

Quite the opposite. Tata have played a huge masterstroke by bringing in the guy who generated a lot more hype than Chandhok. Sponsoring Chandhok wouldn't have made the impact that hiring Karthikeyan did. Tata is a business, and barring the charitable work that they do, their aim is to make money, however ruthlessly it may be.

As for the hypothetical question, it is not comparable to the F1 scene as the Indian driver in question has got in through money and not skill.

Quote:
Schumacher finished 7th in a Jordan. Webber finished in the points in his first race for a Minardi. Vettel made an impact in his first proper year driving for a Torro Rosso at a rainy Monza. Kovalainen, while finishing 7th, was thoroughly beaten by his teammate in the same car. So while one car finished 1st, the other one finished 7th. Don't know what more evidence you need that the driver is as important as the car.

Quote:

See my post above about the car and the driver.

And Schumacher WAS slower than the previous years, no idea why you decide to bring that up to prove a point since that has been agreed upon by everyone. Unless you are the one who want to blame Mercedes for Schumacher's poor showing.

And just to put it in context, we have a 7 time world champion returning 3 years later, in a top team, getting thrashed by his teammate. And we have the Indian driver returning 5 odd years later, who has been racing trucks (yes, they are called trucks) and hasn't put his bum in an F1 car for over 3 years now. In the worst car on the grid. His only competition will be his teammate, and we will see what happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatari View Post
Do realise that with his F1 race drive Narain did what other citizen on India has ever done before.
DOESNT THAT IN ITSELF COUNT FOR SOMETHING AMAZING?

Give the guy some credit.
The credit was given when he made his start on the grid a few years ago. Buying your way back into F1 doesn't deserve any credit, unless the credit is given to the sponsors for handing over the money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2theMax
Mods : I would suggest the thread be closed.
I don't understand the point of creating the thread then, unless you wanted it to be an ensemble of people cheering on a guy for spending a load of money. But hey, that's what happens in India everywhere, so I guess I answered my own question.

Last edited by Amartya : 17th January 2011 at 12:14. Reason: Edited post to remove an inappropriate word. Please avoid using words which have offensive connotations.
pranavt is offline   Received Infraction
Old 16th January 2011, 17:42   #72
BHPian

Re: News - Narain Karthikeyan back in F1! 6 January 2011

IMHO Narain Karthikeyan is now well past his best years . I think (I may be wrong) he has flashes of brilliance , like in the rain and some races but is not able to give consistently good performances throughout the season .

He had done a great job of reaching the pinnacle of motorsport.

But to return now in an HRT is a major risk . Even with Tata money , I dont think they would have a good enough budget to make a decent car .He might have to sit out of races as higher bidders for the seat arrive. The car would most probably be worse than Jordan was in 2005 so there is nothing he can prove . He is not a rookie that any F1 experience can be a used as a proving ground to win a drive with better teams. He infact runs the risk of doing damage to his reputation than doing good .

From NK's point of view I guess this was hitting the jackpot . Another year in Formula 1 , that too after racing trucks . Who would not want to drive in F1 regardless of age etc.

I guess he would deservingly get great support at the Indian GP . Just like the Brits get at silverstone , the Italians in Monza etc.

Its great to have an Indian back in F1 in time for the Indian GP but I would rather see Paul di Resta & Nico Hukenberg getting a drive in 2011.
Old 17th January 2011, 12:40   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The credit was given when he made his start on the grid a few years ago. Buying your way back into F1 doesn't deserve any credit, unless the credit is given to the sponsors for handing over the money.
I think you are being overly critical.
You think one rookie season with barely any testing is enough to prove your worth?
Hamilton for E.g. had over 20,000 kms of testing under his belt before his F1 debut!
Look at Shumi in 2010. His poor form has nothing to do with age, everything to do with spending 3 years away from the sport.
A driver of his caliber took almost the entire year to get back his pace and readapt to F1.

With the Indian GP on this year, it a huge opportunity for TATA
No charity this.
Old 7th March 2011, 20:39   #74
BHPian

Any update on Narain and how he fared in his latest test? He looks more promising than Chandhok from the few reports that I have read. It was NK coming into F1 in 2005 that got me properly hooked to the sport. Love his never-say-die attitude.
Old 8th March 2011, 15:32   #75
Senior - BHPian

Yes! There is an update...

HRT 'not worried' by Narain's lack of pace | Planet F1 | Formula One News

Most Viewed