Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Int'l Motorsport

Search this Thread
Old 29th August 2004, 21:30   #1
GTO
Team-BHP Support

So much overtaking, so much action. Right from lap one right till the end with Kimi and Schumy. Awesome race!

No finishes for three of the top five teams - BAR, Renault and BMW. Some of these were due to Michelin and their reliability was terrible with the tyres self destructing on the straightway.

Montoya sure as hell drove the pants off that williams and his move on Schumacher was commendable. I am not that sure about the chicane incident between him and Trulli though.

Check the times on the replay...you dont wanna miss this one

GTO
Old 29th August 2004, 21:31   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

And yeah, feel good for Kimi to win. Especially after the debacle of a start to this 2004 season.

Congrats to Schumacher for his nth title!

GTO
Old 29th August 2004, 21:34   #3

What an awesome race!!! With so much action going on....this is what an interesting race is all about. Only if all the races were as exciting as this one was.

And ofcourse...my day being made, with Kimi finally able to show the world what he is made up of!!! Just hoping the last few races will be as fun and unpredictable as this one has been....

Kimibabe...
Old 29th August 2004, 22:15   #4
Team-BHP Support

Hey Kimi,

I merged your post into this one.....GTO beat you to it by a full 4 mins (which is eternity since we are talking about F1

cya
R
Old 29th August 2004, 23:16   #5
Senior - BHPian

Kimi won?? wow, i missed it big time. Had gone for a long drive with me doing the driving! first time through twisty, curvy roads thru Nandi hills!! Anyways will check the whole race tommorrow!!
Old 30th August 2004, 00:01   #6
Senior - BHPian

among the most eventful races i'v ever seen..
actually havent seen a safety car lead the race for so many laps before..

good drive by kimi.. its good seeing him back on top..
a real pleasure to watch..
saw him putting those super quick laps in at the end of the race ?
brilliant !

dont regard montoya highly anymore.. that was a stupid move on trulli..
he cant try n muscle his was past all the time..
hope he gets punished by the stewards..

imagine what the race wud have been like if it had rained !
Old 30th August 2004, 00:14   #7
Senior - BHPian

you guys are lucky to get sport channels, here in hyd, our opertaors are agaisnt the espn and star sports network due to some price prob
Old 30th August 2004, 12:50   #8
Team-BHP Support

That last safety car ruined the race for me. The safety car came out just when Schumi's tyres were coming into their range and he was closing up on Kimi. I would have loved to see a straight out fight between the 2 of them.

When the safety car came out with 5 laps to go, it was all over as there was no way those bridgestones could keep up with the Michellins when they are cold.

Great to see Kimi win though, he was really awesome during the race, but I would have liked to see Schumi claim his 7th Title with a win at his favorite track.

Mayeb next year...lol

Rt
Old 30th August 2004, 13:08   #9
Team-BHP Support

he he who ever said teams and cars dont matter.. nice to see other teams are getting into Ferrari teritory..
Old 1st September 2004, 00:33   #10
Senior - BHPian

rtech..
think ure getting it the other way around..
its the michelins that dont get upto temperature..
( that to0 certain compounds that are used on specific circuits... not all the time )
the ferraris just didnt have the dry weather speed that day..

in the wet it wud have been a completely diff. story..

but the gap WILL lessen..
ferrari have stopped work on this yrs car.. and are already focusing on next yr

Old 1st September 2004, 00:57   #11
F50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (Hatari @ Aug. 31 2004,23:03)]think ure getting it the other way around..
( that to0 certain compounds that are used on specific circuits... not all the time )
the ferraris just didnt have the dry weather speed that day..

in the wet it wud have been a completely diff. story..
But the Ferraris were running on Dry Setup in qualifying and no rain was expected on Race Day .... I think just that Bridgestones took time to come to temperature ... It tooks roughly 2 laps to warm it self up and 2 laps was tooooo much for last 3 laps shoot out ..... Damn Coultard .... *

I think more than Kimi I liked Barri's drive *.... from last to 3rd awesome n sexy work by Ferrari Pit Crew to send him back on track with rear wing changed and sent before the Safety Car.... *
No problem *Monza is the next GP ...... Parabolica *

Old 1st September 2004, 12:04   #12
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]rtech..
think ure getting it the other way around..
No Hatari,

This years Michelins are known to be really quick when cold and runing on lower pressure. This was seen at the last race as well and was also confirmed by Schumi himself during the post race interview.

Last year, if I remember correctly, it was the other way around with the Michelin's needing 2-3 laps to get into their groove, then they would be super quick for another 5-7 laps, and then settle down.

Rt
Old 8th September 2004, 22:35   #13
Senior - BHPian

think the best indication of Bridgestone vs Michelin is the performance of the saubers..
both the saubers were strong right through the weekend..
on the wets..

but at spa the ferrari's just didnt have the pace in the dry..
keeping in mind they were SUPER quick in qualifying on the wet tyres ( almost beating Trulli who had set his time - on intermediates - when it wasnt raining.. )

all/most of the teams were expecting a dry race on sunday..
and were all setup mainly for racing in the dry..
( the fact that they did comparitively very little running in the wet free practice sessions proves that )

dont think theres been any concrete evidence to decide on which tyre performs better on warmer or cooler temps.
the ferraris have been in a diff league for major part of the season.. so comparing becomes difficult..

but at spa..kimi was just too quick.. setting fastest lap and breaking michael's lap record ( by 4 tenths of a sec. )
.. michael had set his fastest lap on lap 28..
( when his tyres had to be at their best )

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ] But the Ferraris were running on Dry Setup in qualifying and no rain was expected on Race Day .... I think just that Bridgestones took time to come to temperature ... It tooks roughly 2 laps to warm it self up and 2 laps was tooooo much for last 3 laps shoot out
just read the post-race interviews.. its absolutely true what u said.. about the warming up of tyres...
what didnt help schumi was the fact that he was on the harder compound tyres

"We have seen this very often so it is not a surprise, especially if conditions are rather cruel, like they have been here, and I’ve been on the hard tyres today as well which didn’t help. It was great for the race consistency-wise, but not so good for the safety car, and we didn’t expect three or four safety car moments."

Most Viewed