Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Int'l Motorsport

Search this Thread
Old 14th September 2004, 14:09   #1
Senior - BHPian

I'm sure all of yo'll must have seen the Renault spin out on to the gravel. But why didn't the track side marshals push the car onto the track?

I believe the driver has the right to continue racing as long as the engine is running and it was wasn't it?

Does anyone know if this is legal? What does the rule book say?

If the marshal was wrong, and if FIA fails to do something about it, then i guess Italians being passionate about racing is just a myth.

Regards...
Shan2nu
Old 14th September 2004, 14:32   #2
BHPian

well the italians being italians wanted a ferrari in front and this was a super oppertunity...i think it really stinks..remember when when this happened to shumi last year all the marshalls pushed him out and he continued to race...really bad for alonso
anoop
Old 14th September 2004, 14:57   #3
Tom
BHPian

is outside assistance allowed? ive never seen this happening in F1
Old 14th September 2004, 15:02   #4
Senior - BHPian

If i was in his place i'd get out of the car and thrash the hell out of that marshal. F1 is bcome such a comercial gimic. I doubt if those guys are really racing.

If horse races can be fixed, why not F1? Afterall, the only thing on their mind, seems to be money. I wish i had started watching F1 pre 1999. Those were the real drivers.

Regards...
Shan2nu
Old 14th September 2004, 15:17   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Yes, as Anoops said Schumy has been pushed out of the gravel and gone on to successfully collect points. This is a grey area which MUST be immediately sorted out by the FIA.

GTO
Old 14th September 2004, 16:29   #6
Senior - BHPian

I was quite surprised at Alonso not being pushed back on track despite him keeping his engine running cause all of us know Schumi was indeed pushed back to race. Now what I dont rem is that how much of Alonsos car was on track when he was in the gravel trap. because I remember half of Schumis Ferrari was on track when he hit gravel and had his wheels spinning.

Anyways I felt Alonso should have been pushed back on track if half his car was inded on the tarmac

Dippy
Old 14th September 2004, 17:11   #7
Team-BHP Support

Well, I think the whole world was surprised when Schumi was allowed to continue th race after being pushed back onto the track by marshals last year. Well, apparantly it was allowed due to a very vague regulation from the FIA stating that if a car is in a dangerous place, it may receive outside assistance to remove it from that place.

What was wierd though is that the marshals left Alonso stuck in almost a similar place as Schumi was. While it really wouldn't be fair to blame the marshals themselves, as they are briefed before every race as to what they must do, and that is do not assist a driver back onto the track. They were probably just doing their job.

Anyways, I have always felt that this rule is stupid. If a driver makes a mistake and slides off, he should be allowed to be pushed back into the race if possible. World Championhsip titles have been lost due to this rule and I think it would be better if it was completely removed, as the way it stands now, there are far too many grey areas.

Rt
Old 14th September 2004, 18:02   #8
RJK
Senior - BHPian

I saw the whole race & felt really bad for Alonso. He was driving really really good. Was amazed how he covered up the 6seconds gap between him & Barrichello when he was leading & went on to lead Barrichello. He really deserved to win & I'd hoped to see him on the podium. Man its just so frustrating to not push the car on the track ! I'm not too familiar with the rules but then can the driver push the car himself onto the track ?
Old 14th September 2004, 19:26   #9
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]I'm not too familiar with the rules but then can the driver push the car himself onto the track ?
LOL!!! Even if they could, how would they get back in and buckle themselves up again!!!

Leave that to the rally drivers!

Rt
Old 14th September 2004, 22:18   #10
F50
Senior - BHPian

FIA Rule Number :

59) The driver must drive the car alone and unaided.

162) If a car stops during the race it must be removed as quickly as possible so that its presence does not constitute a danger or hinder other competitors. If the driver is unable to drive the car it shall be the duty of the marshals to assist him.
Old 14th September 2004, 22:19   #11
F50
Senior - BHPian

You be the judge

Old 14th September 2004, 22:24   #12
F50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (Dippy @ Sep. 14 2004,14:59)]I was quite surprised at Alonso not being pushed back on track despite him keeping his engine running cause all of us know Schumi was indeed pushed back to race. Now what I dont rem is that how much of Alonsos car was on track when he was in the gravel trap. because I remember half of Schumis Ferrari was on track when he hit gravel *and had his wheels spinning.
Now, if what Dippy said is true bout how much car was on track and off track may be the case is solved ....

But, I can argue that .... Schumi was pushed into gravel by *Montoyo during German GP at Nurburgring 2003 ...
So, if Schumi gets OUTSIDE ASSITANCE to go into gravel then also might recieve to get out ...

And, in case of Alonso he was not pushed or anything but he was out due to his own mistake coz he was pushing too hard ... thats it

Old 14th September 2004, 22:38   #13
Senior - BHPian

Well, the F1 rules are now, so complex, that the race stewards themselves take ages before coming to a conclusion. As far as the Alonso spinning onto the gravel is concerned i kinda agree wid F50 here. But, with the whole Schumi episode.....i do remember one thing, the two comentators(Chris Goodwin and Steve Slater) had said that Schumi's car was in a considerably dangerous position as it was pretty close to the racing line. I think at that time Schumi was atleast virtually out of the race. So instead of putting him back into the race, the marshals should have taken the car away from the trackside to a safer place(behind security walls, etc). I know many wouldn't like the idea, but, rules should be rules. How can they put the car back on the race track, its not safe at all!!

Old 14th September 2004, 23:12   #14
Senior - BHPian

F1 makes no sense to me. I've seen better organised kindergarten classes!!!

Regards...
Shan2nu
Old 17th September 2004, 00:52   #15
Senior - BHPian

As Alonso rightly said that the marshalls won't push you back onto the track unless you drive a red car. I would argue that Alonso's car is in a more dangerous position than the Ferrari because he is stuck in the middle of a high speed chicane with the front wheels clearly on the tarmac where as the ferrari is parked at the edge of a slower hairpin well off the racingline. So for the marshalls not to push Alonso back onto the track is a very unfair decision. I am totally surprised as to how Ferrari get away in situations like this when its clearly against the rules.

Most Viewed