Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Int'l Motorsport

Search this Thread
Old 17th March 2011, 13:25   #16
BHPian

Re: Australian Grand Prix 2011

A 4 stopper will bring in more situations, incidents and unpredictability.
Given what a heart-stopper of a season we had in 2010, 2011 seems to be a continuation of fantastic rivalries & competition between drivers and their machines.

I'll go with Red Bull at the top, followed by Ferrari, McLaren will struggle with its Englishmen.
Hoping Force India dont take half the season to 'warm-up'.

Last edited by manubhai : 17th March 2011 at 13:27.
Old 23rd March 2011, 20:38   #17
BHPian

I've heard the Pirelli tyres are pathetic.

Anyways, hail Mclaren for me anytime
Old 23rd March 2011, 22:52   #18
BHPian

I just can't wait for the season to begin. The delay of one race was too much to bear given the prospects of an awesomely competitive season to look up to. Though some of the craving was satisfied by the Moto GP Qatar GP last Sunday.

Coming to F1, I'm really hoping for some top 3 position fights for Mercedes GP (especially Schumi, though I have lots of respect for Nico).Given the latest package they brought in testing, they seem to be competitive. Though the team to beat remains to be Red Bull it seems.

The pre-race mind games have already begun with Lewis calling Red Bull as just a "drinks company". Lets see how much wings does Red Bull bring to the field this year.

My pecking order:

Red Bull
Ferrari/ Mercedes GP
McLaren/ Renault
Toro Rosso/ William/ Sauber
Force India/Virgin/ HRT/ Lotus
Old 23rd March 2011, 23:10   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anachronix View Post
Race Timing:

Practice 1 Fri 07:00 HRS
Practice 2 Fri 11:00 HRS
Practice 3 Sat 08:30 HRS
Qualifying Sat 11:30 HRS
Race Sun 11:30 HRS
Hope these are IST?
Old 23rd March 2011, 23:48   #20
BHPian

I was there in 2008 and on raceday it was 47 deg C...
Old 24th March 2011, 16:48   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammy View Post
I've heard the Pirelli tyres are pathetic.
If you are referring to the high wear rate of the tyres here, then Pirelli was asked to keep it like that. They have been deliberately designed to degrade faster than the Potenza to help spice up racing.

Overall, 2011 will be very different when you recall that last year, some teams pitted only because of the rules and even the soft tyre could easily last the whole race.

So for winning races this year, one would need effective tyre management and efficient strategies. The Sunday reward for putting the fastest lap in Qualifying is going to reduce as well. And we are going to see a very high number of pit stops in many a races.
Old 24th March 2011, 17:30   #22
BHPian

What would also be interesting is the use of movable rear wings. I feel that combined with the tire strategy, this would be the biggest gamble which teams have to play. Also the advantage of using movable wings is difficult to gauge in qualifying.
Old 24th March 2011, 18:00   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekz View Post
I just can't wait for the season to begin. The delay of one race was too much to bear given the prospects of an awesomely competitive season to look up to. Though some of the craving was satisfied by the Moto GP Qatar GP last Sunday.

Coming to F1, I'm really hoping for some top 3 position fights for Mercedes GP (especially Schumi, though I have lots of respect for Nico).Given the latest package they brought in testing, they seem to be competitive. Though the team to beat remains to be Red Bull it seems.

The pre-race mind games have already begun with Lewis calling Red Bull as just a "drinks company". Lets see how much wings does Red Bull bring to the field this year.

My pecking order:

Red Bull
Ferrari/ Mercedes GP
McLaren/ Renault
Toro Rosso/ William/ Sauber
Force India/Virgin/ HRT/ Lotus
Couldn't agree with you more buddy, can't wait for raceday. All week i've been absentmindedly pressing F1 on my keyboard, much to the amusement of those around me 'sheepish ' While Red Bull will be the team of the moment, my heart is going to be rooting for some good ol' Schumi magic. Can't help but have a huge load of respect for that guy. Hope Nico understands
Old 24th March 2011, 18:05   #24
BHPian

My 0.222 cents

Vettel
Alonso
Webber
Hamilton
Massa
Scumi.. as usual 6th.

Watch out for Toro Rosso's they are going to be real fast. !!
Also watch out for HRT's they are going to be real turtles !!! They are moving billboards !

Last edited by 2theMax : 24th March 2011 at 18:06.
Old 25th March 2011, 06:06   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anachronix View Post
Mclaren shown really bad form over the winter. They failed to complete any successful race simulation through the winter testing. Keep your fingers crossed Mclaren folks
I think it was bound to happen with mercedes pulling the plug on the money and Mclaren not getting their money. Read in news somewhere, they are relying heavily on their new update before the 1st gp. But i dont see them fighting for the pole. This doesnot mean that they cant win, with the way pirellis have seen, it is hard to predict.. It will all depend on the race strategy.

Last edited by Mike89 : 25th March 2011 at 06:07.
Old 25th March 2011, 08:34   #26
Senior - BHPian

Red bulls dominate the first practice session with Webber the only driver to break the 1m 26s barrier. Vettel is up there along with Alonso in third.
With higher tyre degradation from Pirelli, the 2011 season is poised to be the most exciting one.
Old 25th March 2011, 09:54   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike89 View Post
I think it was bound to happen with mercedes pulling the plug on the money and Mclaren not getting their money. Read in news somewhere, they are relying heavily on their new update before the 1st gp. But i dont see them fighting for the pole. This doesnot mean that they cant win, with the way pirellis have seen, it is hard to predict.. It will all depend on the race strategy.
More details please?
Mercedes is still isted as an engine partner, same as before.
Old 25th March 2011, 12:49   #28
mgh
BHPian

based on first two practice sessions Red Bull, Ferrari, and McLaren, seem to be top three. Mercedes seem to be closer this year.
Force India seem to have fallen behind the other older teams.
Old 25th March 2011, 12:52   #29
Senior - BHPian

The updated Mclarens of Jenson Button and Lewis Hamilton picked up the 1st and 2nd place respectively in the second practice session. Alonso came in third ahead of the two red bulls.
Looks like the new upgrades are working for the Mclaren duo. The session ended with a wet track. This should spice up the race even more.
Old 25th March 2011, 13:05   #30
Senior - BHPian

Mclaren seems to have got things right in their cars finally! But then, there is a long way to go till Sunday & I hope they dint do the best laps on fumes. BTW, the exhaust solution was a good replica of the Redbull solution. I dont understand what Martin Whitmarsh was hyping up through winter about exhaust innovation!

Ferrari & Redbull have been taking it easy so far! The Friday practice had a similar pattern last year where the RB & Ferrari did Qualifying simulation on Saturday Practice.

Mercedes seems to be up there & they were doing race simulation as well! Michael looked happy on that car and that is enough to give nightmares to all the kids & their shiny little toys on the grid!

Renault, the big question mark on the face of this team never goes away!

Lotus seemed to have made some progress in their development while FI is going back to Spykar days!

HRT did 1 lap with Luizzi and what next, the first team to enjoy the 107% rule? Feel bad for Narain fans!

Most Viewed