Team-BHP > Introduce yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 8th July 2011, 13:08   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

The Talli Ninja is in!

Finally, after 6 months and 4 futile attempts, finally my 5th application for this website was approved. Thanks Mods!

Now, a (not-so)short introduction about myself. Niranjan (hardly anyone uses that name to refer to me), mostly being called as Ninja or Talli (hence the handle being named so). Before you guys jump to any confusion, kindly understand that the 'Talli' nickname comes from my origin being from the land of Rajnikanth (all hail the Thalaiva \m/) and has nothing to do with my drinking habits!

Having said that, I have hardly stayed in TN, being brought up in the wild wild west (read: Gujarat) growing up on Dhokalas and Theplaas. Currently stationed at Pune, in-between having strayed into the states of Kerala, West Bengal, Jharkhand, Bihar, Karnataka and Goa for periods ranging from a few weeks to a few years. And the one companion that has accompanied me in the last decade has been my noble steed, my Pulsar.

In the area of the 4 legged monsters, my start was pretty sober with the humble M800. Generally I was handed over my dad's car when we had to go through the busy market areas, which I happily used to oblige; thus gaining valuable driving experience to handle the traffic bustles! In between I used to get the opportunities to drive my friends’ sedans but mostly my dad’s Alto & M800 used to be the cars I frequented. Later along with another friend, I purchased a 2nd hand M800. The main purpose of this vehicle was for trips on weekends, the most frequented place being Goa!

Then there was short phase when I had to travel to Australia, where I graduated to the world SUVs and C+ sedans thanks to the rental agencies. My favorite vehicle – the Nissan X-Trail. All you guys who have lived on M800, would understand the rush I used to get at the wheels of this rocker of a vehicle.

After that trip, I knew I could never survive on my M800. Hence started the search for a replacement. My first choice was the Safari. I loved that vehicle, having had the experience of travelling in it a lot with a friend who purchased it a year back. Unfortunately for reasons that can’t be disclosed here , I had to ditch the options of SUVs and I started looking at C segment sedans. With my driving habits, petrol was out of the equation. In the diesel market, the Vento was the first choice; as for my requirement of power and driveability it suited perfectly. I would have loved to stick with Maruti, but unfortunately the SX4 lacked a powerful engine, else I found the vehicle quite to my liking.

Waited for the Verna, found it to be a tad unreliable on speeds (although the interior was mind-blowing); couldn't wait for the Fiesta, so finally went and booked the Vento on 1st of June (color choices Blue & Black).

Come June last week, I get a call from the showroom - they can deliver the Vento in Black within a week! I was speechless! One month of waiting period - hadn't heard of it anywhere on the forums. Initially agreed for it, but later decided against it as I preferred the blue color. So the wait starts again!

Meanwhile while I wait for my car to be delivered, I have already started planning trips - need advise on one trip I'm planning : Pune - Bangalore - Chennai (Break of a 3-4 days) - Bangalore - Pune. The issue here is the return trip; I might have to do it alone. Also considering it would be a new car, is this trip during the break-in period advisable?

Cheers!
ninjatalli is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th July 2011, 10:10   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Talli Ninja is in!

Welcome to TBHP Niranjan.

On the second part of your post regarding driving all the way to Chennai. I did that in my new Baleno a highway trip and immediately afterwords gave it for service, all that you need to be careful is about not over speeding and revving the engine hard. Once you reach Chennai you could get the first service done (Not sure if VW first service schedule falls at 1000 Kms).
Old 10th July 2011, 10:56   #3
BHPian

Just thought u'd bought home a fire breathing Ninja....

Welcome to the club and GodSpeed mate!
Old 10th July 2011, 19:11   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
Welcome to TBHP Niranjan.

On the second part of your post regarding driving all the way to Chennai. I did that in my new Baleno a highway trip and immediately afterwords gave it for service, all that you need to be careful is about not over speeding and revving the engine hard. Once you reach Chennai you could get the first service done (Not sure if VW first service schedule falls at 1000 Kms).
Thanks for the update. I was thinking of just having a check-up at VW Chennai, while having the servicing done when I come back to Pune.

Btw could anybody suggest a budget hotel (for family) on the Bangalore outskirts on NH4 - Tumkur Road? Won't be entering Bangalore city on the return journey.
Quote:
Originally Posted by josepeter View Post
Just thought u'd bought home a fire breathing Ninja....

Welcome to the club and GodSpeed mate!
Thanks Jose!
Old 10th July 2011, 21:13   #5
Senior - BHPian

Welcome Niranjan! Enjoy your stay here. Hope to see some good contributions from your side.

when i saw the thread title, i thought WTH?.

PS: we here in tbhp take DUI very seriously, and a mere mention of this on any threads will get you infractions and further permanent ban.

Keep Revving, and always use a seat-belt while driving.

Cheers!

Last edited by SirAlec : 10th July 2011 at 21:14.
SirAlec is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2011, 23:00   #6
dot
Senior - BHPian

ninjatalli, welcome. It was a very nice intro, hope to see more of you and your new Vento. The Pune Bhpians are a pretty sharp and active lot. So, see you in the hallowed company.

Last edited by dot : 10th July 2011 at 23:02.
Old 10th July 2011, 23:37   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
Welcome Niranjan! Enjoy your stay here. Hope to see some good contributions from your side.

when i saw the thread title, i thought WTH?.

PS: we here in tbhp take DUI very seriously, and a mere mention of this on any threads will get you infractions and further permanent ban.

Keep Revving, and always use a seat-belt while driving.

Cheers!
Thanks SirAlec! As for drunk & reckless driving I personally consider it very seriously.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
ninjatalli, welcome. It was a very nice intro, hope to see more of you and your new Vento. The Pune Bhpians are a pretty sharp and active lot. So, see you in the hallowed company.
Thanks! Looking forward to meeting the gang! Already have seen a few cars dotted with TBHP stickers at Hinjewadi and Aundh!
Old 11th July 2011, 00:42   #8
BHPian

Welcome to TBHP, Ninja!!

Wow, its raining Ventos on TBHP. Wish you many happy miles with the german beast.

Drive safe, keep smiling!!!
Old 11th July 2011, 20:08   #9
BHPian

Hey Ninja - Welcome aboard

Pune-bangalore-Chennai + VW = Awesome ride. I just got back from Coorg on my gypsy, awesome ride, did it in 15 hrs. NH4 is simply awesome to drive.

Anyways safe journey, whenever you plan. Until then cheers. BTW you are a calvin fan

Last edited by Twinn : 11th July 2011 at 20:10.
Old 12th July 2011, 00:05   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
... I would have loved to stick with Maruti, but unfortunately the SX4 lacked a powerful engine, else I found the vehicle quite to my liking...

Cheers!
Welcome ninjatalli!! I own a SX4 for the past one year and trust me its one of the best cars for Indian roads and it has adequate power to match the various road conditions (although never tried driving uphill or in mountainous areas). Apart from that what I really like is the ground clearance of this car. The Vento looks really cool though, but not sure how is the drive. Do post your experience once you get your hands on it.
Old 12th July 2011, 22:35   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinn View Post
Hey Ninja - Welcome aboard

Pune-bangalore-Chennai + VW = Awesome ride. I just got back from Coorg on my gypsy, awesome ride, did it in 15 hrs. NH4 is simply awesome to drive.

Anyways safe journey, whenever you plan. Until then cheers. BTW you are a calvin fan
Bigtime. I have read Tintin, Asterix, Chacha Chaudary (& the Diamond comics lot), Tinkle comics, Amar Chitra Katha, Dilbert, Archie, and a lot more. Nothing comes close to this little fella.

Coorg on a gypsy, wow! Do put up the travelogue (link please if you have already done it )

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilsiyal View Post
Welcome ninjatalli!! I own a SX4 for the past one year and trust me its one of the best cars for Indian roads and it has adequate power to match the various road conditions (although never tried driving uphill or in mountainous areas). Apart from that what I really like is the ground clearance of this car. The Vento looks really cool though, but not sure how is the drive. Do post your experience once you get your hands on it.
Anil, you got me wrong. I drove both the cars on the same roads back to back - both are very different cars. I really liked the SX4 - good sturdy car, with minimal turbo lag - the car best made for India. I liked the car a lot, only I was blown away by the power of the Vento engine. But compared to the Vento, and the new Verna, there was something missing in the SX4, IMO. You can feel, Maruti is about to come back with a more powerful engine under the hood, and with more features to take hold of the C segment.
Old 14th July 2011, 18:45   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Welcome Niranjan and congrats on choosing a really nice handle (was chuckling when I saw your post on my ownership thread).

Vento Tdi is a smart choice and wish you many happy miles in it. One suggestion: wait out the run-in period (1000-1500 km) before you take her on a long GQ drive. You may not be able to resists revving her hard on those pristine stretches. Not that it should cause any major problems, but am a cautious kinda blighter!

Welcome to T-BHP and looking forward to many productive interactions with you.
Old 14th July 2011, 20:14   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Welcome Niranjan and congrats on choosing a really nice handle (was chuckling when I saw your post on my ownership thread).

Vento Tdi is a smart choice and wish you many happy miles in it. One suggestion: wait out the run-in period (1000-1500 km) before you take her on a long GQ drive. You may not be able to resists revving her hard on those pristine stretches. Not that it should cause any major problems, but am a cautious kinda blighter!

Welcome to T-BHP and looking forward to many productive interactions with you.
Thanks! The handle is a mix of my two nicknames (my actual name Niranjan is hardly used by anyone )
Vento was a HARD choice - I have always been a Maruti diehard fan; took several trials of SX4 & Swift, but just one TD of Vento confirmed the decision of booking the Vento. Since then, I have been torn twice to cancel my booking for the Verna initially, and lately the Fiesta. But sense prevailed and I stayed my booking.

Agree to your point about the GQ drive - but this is a lovely opportunity where I have to without fail, make the southern trip to attend to some family gatherings and I have the holidays available too. But definitely will be keeping the tabs on the speedometer.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks