Team-BHP > Introduce yourself

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 29th August 2011, 18:01   #1
BHPian

Hello Team-BHP

Hello fellow T-BHPIANS.
I have just joined this team and thank you all BHPians for making this site an educative and helpful site.
Some time earlier, i came across an article that for a frugal fuel consumption test, a Laura SKODA was used to traverse across Denmark. That car had a 45 litre fuel tank capacity. After filling the tank to full, the Driver of the car drove about 2200 kms.

2200/45 = 48.88 km per litre.

I would like to know how was this managed. What setting/tuning was done to the vehicle.

If any one can inform upon setting/change carried out, please do so.
Also if similar settings could be done to other makes of cars.
Old 9th September 2011, 02:01   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Hello Team-BHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwin_m0 View Post
Hello fellow T-BHPIANS.
Hello and welcome, Ashwin!

The mileage that that Laura got is indeed awesome! This type of driving in which one tries to maximize efficiency is known as Hypermiling. While this kind of driving indeed is rewarding in terms of FE, it is very hard to adapt on a daily basis.

What initially comes to mind about this Laura is:
- Diesel Engine
- VERY highly inflated tires
- Only highway driving (read: speeds of about 80/90 Km/h on 6th gear with minimal/no stops)
- Only one person on board and no excess weight.

Perhaps they even gutted the car of the rear seat and removed some equipment, spare tire etc to shed weight! Add to that low resistance tires and maybe they lowered the car a bit!

Cheers!
Old 9th September 2011, 11:46   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Hello Team-BHP

Hi Ashwin. Welcome on board. In addition to the above post by anekho, i would like to add that if one drives the car behind a large vehicle,eg. truck, then the drag reduces and in turn reduces the fuel consumption. In mileage runs conducted by companies, Ford Fiestas, Logan, Verna, Indica eV2,etc have been known to give similar mileage figures. Those are ideal condition figures and difficult to attain on regular basis. But the driving habit can be tuned to get better FE figures. For more such tips,check the linkhttp://www.team-bhp.com/web/index.php?categoryid=13&p2_articleid=23
Closed Thread

Most Viewed