Team-BHP > Introduce yourself

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 30th September 2011, 21:18   #1
BHPian

Hello BHPians

I finally got my membership approved after a round of rejections. I have been following this forum very intensely for a month or two now.

I am Vikram, work in Information Security. Live and work in Powai, Mumbai.
I got my license when i turned 18 and have driven a slew of cars. Our family had a Premier Padmini Fiat for the longest time after which we got the First generation Honda City, which was much loved.

Once i moved to Mumbai, my first car was the beloved Hyundai Santro which served us from 2006 to 2011. In 2009, I also picked up the i20 Asta which i thought was a wonderful car. It is still a great car except for soft suspension in it. Most Hyundai cars are famous for this characteristic.

So now, the time has come for a new car. Hunting in the market for a Diesel sedan (Petrol is way too expensive, hedging my bets witha diesel too ). TD the Vento Tdi Highline. TD'd a diesel car for the first time. Now I am intrigued about the base Jetta. Going to TD that too before i take the final call.
Thats my story so far.

I am really happy to be in this forum.
Old 2nd October 2011, 13:20   #2
BHPian

Re: Hello BHPians

Welcome to the forum, Vikram. Don't forget to try out the Cruze if you are looking at Jetta.
SedatedDrive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2011, 17:01   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SedatedDrive View Post
Welcome to the forum, Vikram. Don't forget to try out the Cruze if you are looking at Jetta.
Thanks for the welcome...I am enjoying every minute of it in this forum. I plan to TD the Cruze as well. I have head not so great things on its interiors though!
Old 4th October 2011, 22:45   #4
BHPian

If you have money, you can spruce up the interiors - beige Nappa leather, wood trims, plush seat padding, ICE upgrades/LCDs, list goes on!
Old 5th October 2011, 03:56   #5
BHPian

Welcome to the forum! TD for the cruze is a must! its probably the best oil burner in that segment.
Old 5th October 2011, 11:04   #6
Senior - BHPian

welcome on board , and i have to agree with everyone else here - TD the cruze. Personally i like the interiors the way they are but as mentioned many ways to improve them are available.
Old 5th October 2011, 11:46   #7
Senior - BHPian

Welcome aboard Vikram!

The Cruze is good - if my memory serves me right mumbai on road price for the auto LTZ is INR 17.50 lacs. She drives well, but the interiors are plasticky and cramped.

Jetta TDI Highline on the road mumbai is INR 20.50 lacs. The ride quality, luxurious interiors and space are in a different league totally.

If the difference of approximately 3 lacs is not too much of a problem - buy the Jetta with your eyes closed. its a far better product and the brand/snob value with a Jetta vs the Cruze - priceless.

All the best with your decision.

Cheers
Old 5th October 2011, 18:06   #8
BHPian

September sales charts say: 890+ Cruzes sold as against 150 or so Jettas!
Old 5th October 2011, 23:29   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SedatedDrive View Post
September sales charts say: 890+ Cruzes sold as against 150 or so Jettas!
That number makes the choice between the Cruze and the Jetta easier, but you can't tell which. Assuming one knows nothing about the cars and only know the sales numbers, this would be the reasoning...

If you're the kind of guy who looks at everybody and his dhoodwala, paperwala, cook, and driver in a Swift and buys one because the service stations ought to be better with so many of these on the road, get a Cruze.

If you want to stand apart from the road and want to get something that nobody else on the street has at the expense of pricier parts lack of off-the-shelf accessories requiring pricier custom-built accessories, then the Jetta is your car of choice.

BTW, check out the September 2011 sales figures for the Maruti SX4 vs sales figures for September 2010:
Sept 2010 - 1,965
Sept 2011 - 0,196
That's a 90% drop in sales!!!
Old 5th October 2011, 23:58   #10
BHPian

If there were to be a poll on which car has more street presence : Cruze or the Jetta, its got to be the Cruze. The Jetta is just way too dull comparatively and is more suited for middle aged gentlemen who want to go point A to B in style, luxury and comfort. The Cruze is a stunningly beautiful, pushed-to-seat pedal-to-metal machine for enthusiasts.

Nithin, yes more sales numbers mean better service probability. It is one of the factors when deciding the car to buy. Not the only one. The Cruze is also cheaper to maintain.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed