Team-BHP > Introduce yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 8th June 2012, 14:40   #1
BHPian

Elite Forum, Elite Feeling

March 15th 2012

I landed in India after a 2 year visit to USA. "Hi", "Hello", "How are you?", "What did you get for me?", "Oh!! You didn't bring what I asked for?", "This looks like a Rs 30 watch" Finally when the house was empty, hugs and kisses from folks completed the day.

March 16th 2012

My Dad asked me which car I preferred to buy. We had this discussion earlier when I was in the States. I did a theoretical research until then but now wanted to drive the cars and find out which one is good. And when I say drive, I didn't want a 1 KM test drive; I wanted at least 8 KM drive on the highway. None of the showrooms would agree to it so I decided to take the test drive on a Sunday. 

My budget was Rs 800K and I was looking for an AT Sedan. Only after looking at the prices did I realize that AT in India is EXPENSIVE. I was not in a mood to change gears in the chaotic Hyderabad traffic where bumper to bumper driving is part of daily routine (Just like in any other Metro).

In the end I decided to go for a hatch back basically for two reasons, one I was planning to go back to the States which means my dad would be driving and the other as I mentioned, would be difficult to drive/park a sedan in this city.

Back to square one, Chapter research II.

Two hatch backs had AT, i10 and A-star. No offence but I hated A-star (IMHO). The interiors, the drive comfort and most of all, the gear stick! It looked like the stick of an umbrella.

I’m not sure if I was too big for i10 or i10 was too small for me but the steering was rubbing my thighs while driving. And AT in small car segment doesn’t have the drive comfort.

So, where was I? Yup, back to square one, Chapter research III.

My dad, friends and colleagues convinced me that I would get used to manual driving and that I would love it. I didn't care about what they said but duh, did I have a choice?

The problem was not that I didn’t drive a manual transmission car; it’s just that I somehow felt more comfortable with AT.

So, which one is it now? Figo/Fabia/Brio/Jazz?

Once again the free advisory committee involved and gave me an advice, “All the cars you shortlisted have high maintenance cost!” and obviously my dad got convinced because they have more experience driving cars! (OR getting them serviced)

So finally I decided to buy an environmental friendly vehicle, “CYCLE”. And I seriously shortlisted one! My dad said 18K for a cycle is not worth! Come on, it’s a 20 geared vehicle compared to the 5+1 geared cars, low maintenance and Zero fuel expense! Isn’t it?

May 11th 2012

Finally, over dinner, my family understood that what I’m going through is called frustration or probably my wifey told them.

My dad suggested we look at Maruti cars yet again (remember A-Star). I had a disgusted look on my face. But once again, did I have a choice? It was like, “Son, I ride a Bajaj, so you either drive a Maruti or a BSA SLR CYCLE”

OK!

May 12th 2012 (Guys, we are getting close, so kindly be patient with my intro ;-) )

Varun-Maruti Showroom, Begumpet, Hyderabad.

The ASM there showed us SWIFT. Red, blue, black, white and what not! I was least interested as I have been seeing Swift over a decade now. What more could I see in it?

I went for a test ride. Compared it with Fabia and Polo and I might be totally wrong but I felt it better than both! Probably I’m not a very good driver or something but I felt the entire body shaking when I turned on the Fabia ignition. I asked the driver if it was diesel but to my surprise, it was Petrol.

Anyways, my family was waiting back at the showroom. When I went back, they were all looking at me with “Is it a YES?” kind of look on their face. Was I buying a car or did I come down to meet a gal (match making)? I felt my parents and the girl’s (swift’s) parents (sales guys) were waiting for a “YES” from me so that they can get us married.

And I did say “YES”. Everyone were happy that the long wait and search ended. I was afraid that people would start hugging each other congratulating with tears of joy while I’m standing there like a Moron. Thank god, nothing like that happened.

We booked the car the very same day and got it delivered on May 14th May 2012.

Now I’m married to my wife and a SWIFT VXI.

To avoid the traffic and drive at 100 KMPH, I start at 7:30 AM in the morning.

This is the tale of a boy and a car who got married and lived happily ever after (Fingers crossed).

Last edited by mobike008 : 8th June 2012 at 15:45. Reason: Edited the foul langague. Please refrain next time
xydon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th June 2012, 15:50   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Elite Forum, Elite Feeling

Welcome to the forum Xydon. That was a very hilarious tale of your car-selection and I thoroughly enjoyed reading it. You seem to have a natural flair for humour.

Which color is your car? Will look out for it in Hyderabad traffic

Do make a quick pit-stop to rules of the board too.

See you around

Mobike008
mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2012, 17:05   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Welcome to the forum Xydon. That was a very hilarious tale of your car-selection and I thoroughly enjoyed reading it. You seem to have a natural flair for humour.

Which color is your car? Will look out for it in Hyderabad traffic

Do make a quick pit-stop to rules of the board too.

See you around

Mobike008

Thank you Mobike.

I have Blazing red swift with 205/55/R15 tires and Raiden alloys. It's just the start. I'm dying to know more about the car s and what all I can do with it.

Thanks to Team-BHP for helping in the selection. You guys help so many people who are not the members of this excellent forum.

Attached are the PICs.
Attached Thumbnails
Elite Forum, Elite Feeling-img_1736.jpg  

Elite Forum, Elite Feeling-img_1737.jpg  

Elite Forum, Elite Feeling-img_17341.jpg  

xydon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2012, 17:38   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Thats a HOT loooking swift. The alloys too match the overall look perfectly.

Btw, you can find most of hyderabadis on these 2 threads

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/team-b...unch-meet.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...underabad.html

There is a lunch meet happening on June 13th. Join up, if you can!
Old 8th June 2012, 19:31   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Thats a HOT loooking swift. The alloys too match the overall look perfectly.

Btw, you can find most of hyderabadis on these 2 threads

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/team-b...unch-meet.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...underabad.html

There is a lunch meet happening on June 13th. Join up, if you can!
Thank you. I loved those alloys and the fat tires more than anything. The cornering is just awesome. At 7:30 AM everyday, I take a steep curve at NTR park (Near iMax)!

You got to be kidding me. I just searched for HYD thread and posted a reply asking if I can join the MEGA LUNCH

Thanks for the invite. I would be more than happy to join.

Last edited by xydon : 8th June 2012 at 19:58.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks