Team-BHP > Introduce yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 6th August 2012, 14:42   #1
BHPian

Tested positive for "Petrol-head syndrome"

Hola folks,
I am 25 years old and from Hyderabad. The symptoms of "petrol-head syndrome" started showing when my age was still one digit. Dad was in army and as you can guess Ambassador, MM550, GYPSY, Contessa and Jonga were the beauties I admired daily. Always longed to get into the Stallion and Shaktimaan trucks. The only time I could hop into them was when dad was being transferred and the jawans helping move our stuff would be more than happy to tow me with them. How can I forget the legendry bullet? You can imagine my desperation seeing the beauty in the typical military paint shining in the porch but I was just not allowed ride it. Till my school days, I was pillion rider only. Couldn't handle the frustration and I stole the keys one day and had a jolly ride filled with fear and excitement. Dad is yet to know about it.

Moving on to the college life, Dad's bike, Bajaj-Kawasaki Caliber... The unshakeable (I'm sure Dad fell prey to its commercial which showed an army man visiting his family on a Caliber) was the only source of automobile excitement. Dad still uses it.

Picked up my first automobile Black Pulsar 180 on 31st Dec 2010. 19 months and 23K KMs already. I call it "The Beast". All the Pulsar heads would definitely know what a beast it is. The second pick was a Santro Xing GLS LPG on 30th March 2012, just before the budget was implemented. The reason for picking it up was more of a necessity of a car for the family than a choice. I am yet to name it.

I came across T-BHP when I was looking for suggestions on restoring a MM550. Dad's army background may help me get one from the Army auctions. But I read it in one of the threads, for people like me, with no technical knowledge, it’s better to buy new THAR than rebuild an old one. I believe GTO advised it. So I am currently in the money saving mode for THAR. The cars I would love to own are Jeep wrangler, LR Evoque and Jaguar XJ. These names keeps on changing except the Wrangler. My limited knowledge of technical stuff makes we wonder if power steering is the next best thing after the invention of wheel in the automobile history.

About myself, not a very bright kid but definitely above average, jack of all trades, physically active but self-proclaimed mentally lazy, not a retard though. I love reading novels and eating out. My friends wonder how come I eat a lot but still don't put even an ounce of flesh. It’s an art I miraculously manage. Never troubled the weighing scale to go beyond 55kilos. Let me tell you, I am an amateur. Amateur in every aspect of my life. Still learning, making mistakes and goof up every now and then. Don’t want to be perfect.

I am not a ‘speed’ guy, I love to handle the steering at a normal pace. Even on highways, I don’t exceed 100 km/hr. It was on one bumpy drive when we were lost somewhere in the outskirts of Hyderabad, I discovered the pleasure of driving at low pace and maneuvering the dusty ‘kachcha rasta’. That was it!!! ... I discovered the off-roading trait in me. Haven’t done any off-roading yet but eagerly waiting for my THAR.

Hate to ride in rain but love to drive in rain. I am sure many people would dis agree about not loving to ride in rain.

I go by the motto, "Don't walk like you rule the world, walk like you don't care who rules the world".

Happy to be another petrol-head,
Farukh
Farukh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2012, 15:35   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Tested positive for "Petrol-head syndrome"

Hola Yourself!
Nice pick there, the P180.

Welcome onboard!
Even if its just for the THAR, you will probably know by now that its one of the most discussed vehicles here, so youre probably in the right place.

Hyderabad, eh?
Thats the most active supercar thread here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farukh View Post
I go by the motto, "Don't walk like you rule the world, walk like you don't care who rules the world".

Happy to be another petrol-head,
Farukh

mayankk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2012, 16:26   #3
BHPian

Welcome to TBHP Farukh !

Getting a new Thar for your first off-road experience ! WoW ! All the Best !
I had mine on a jeep in Coorg where my friend's father was a coffee estate manager.
Could'nt forget the adrenaline pumping real life experience on the slippery slopes.

Cheers, D

Last edited by DieselDon : 6th August 2012 at 16:27.
DieselDon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2012, 17:40   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Welcome onboard Farukh.

Nice to see another offroader from Hyderabad. You will find plenty of folks from hyderabad with offroading interest and offroading is an active event here. Do synch up with Fazal Adil on 4X4 for more info on what and where on offroading events.

Also, take a quick moment to stop by and read the rules of the forum.

You will find most of the Hyderabad folks on the meet and food thread.

Have fun on the forum and see you around !!!

Cheers
Mobike008
mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2012, 10:34   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Tested positive? Well...all I can say is "Don't get well soon...or ever"

Welcome to Team BHP! And don't worry too much about being an amateur at everything. The less sure you are what you want to do in the 20s, the better you will fare as you grow older Enjoy your fast metabolism while it lasts!
noopster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2012, 14:28   #6
Senior - BHPian

Well written intro. Welcome Farukh.

Pray to God that your Dad dont get to read this intro and know about your bullet ride - you may test positive for red-ears syndrome next!!

Good luck in your savings for the Thar.

PS : Love your motto
mallumowgli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th August 2012, 18:48   #7
BHPian

Hey farukh, nice intro there. Must admit, I felt good knowing you and reading through. Have a happy stay here. Ride Safe.
Eminenttismo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2012, 12:03   #8
BHPian

Dear All,

Thanks for the warm welcome! Apologies for the late reply.

@mayankk - P180, indeed my preferred ride. Went through the supercar thread. I have seen many of the those cars around here. Showrooms of Merc/LR/Jaguar/Porshe fall on my way to office. Never miss a peek. Saw a BMW650i yesterday in red. I must say I was red with envy.

@Dieseldon - I can very well understand the feeling you might have had in Coorg!

@mobike008 - Will do. You might see me in the next off-roading even here in Hyd whenever its happening. May not be as a participant but as a mere spectator though.

@noopster - I never wish to be cured of this syndrome. Thanks for the words of encouragement.

@mallumowgli - Thanks for the heads up. My dad's active on net these days. I gotta keep an eye on my browsing history now.

@Eminenttismo - Thanks mate!
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks