Team-BHP > Introduce yourself

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 18th August 2012, 18:44   #16
BHPian

Re: Greetings from an ex-biker

Diffuser, very sorry to hear about this injury and I hope to God that you are able to recover even the remaining 25% by some miracle - anything is possible if one believes.

Was there some other protective gear you could have worn apart from the helmet - I am afraid I dont know what Shoei RF-1100 is. Would that have prevented injury?

I have travelled a lot (40,000 Kms) on a scooter for 20 years. Had a couple of small falls. But fall at 30Kms per hour can also cause so much damage - that I did not know. TO me slow riding meant safe riding - although I always wore a helmet from 1987 to 2006 when I rode scooters.

Wishing you a speedy recovery of remaining 25%,
Old 18th August 2012, 23:07   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkytalks View Post
Diffuser, very sorry to hear about this injury and I hope to God that you are able to recover even the remaining 25% by some miracle - anything is possible if one believes.

Was there some other protective gear you could have worn apart from the helmet - I am afraid I dont know what Shoei RF-1100 is. Would that have prevented injury?

I have travelled a lot (40,000 Kms) on a scooter for 20 years. Had a couple of small falls. But fall at 30Kms per hour can also cause so much damage - that I did not know. TO me slow riding meant safe riding - although I always wore a helmet from 1987 to 2006 when I rode scooters.

Wishing you a speedy recovery of remaining 25%,

Hello Venky,

Thanks for the wishes . The Shoei RF-1100 is one of the best helmet available on the market whereas the Volga helmet I had was not good . The Shoei might have decreased the impact due to its design . All protective gears are designed to send the impact force away from the body so in theory the helmet would have absorbed some more of the force and not caused my head to bounce up hard enough to shatter a bone . I was wearing a pair of almost track spec (I think) gloves which prevented any damage to my hands . Riding slow doesn't always guarantee safety , there are a lot of factors . Mine was a freak accident and the main factors in my case would be my height (6'1") , angle of the slope my head bounced off and also the lack of a better helmet . I however do not know if there is anything for neck protection for bikers , race car drivers do however . I will research and get back to you though .
Old 20th August 2012, 22:05   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diffuser View Post

Thanks a lot . Being 22 at the time of the accident helped , I had my whole life ahead of me so gave it all I had. Sometimes going down to the garage to sit on my bikes and revving it helps make me more determined even though I can't ride again .

Hi diffuser
touched by the narration and pained by the gruesome fall. Apparently your grit and determination have helped in coming out of the abyss. Kudos to you!

Your saga reminds me of the rash Auto near KK Nagar, Chennai which hit my scooter from behind at very high speed a few years back. which made me hit the truck before me and throwing me a good 15 metres away. As a result of multiple fractures including all 5 fingers in right palm i was out of activity for more than 2 months then.

Glad to know you are getting back to your routines, but sad to know that you are talking about VRS over this year-end at 23 !

This should be a wake-up call to all for safe-ride, as repeatedly being stressed in Teak-BHP. Even if we cruise at 30kmph, the impact of an accident triggerred by recklessness of someone else could well be life-threatening. Happy for you that it is safer inside a car than while riding a motorcycle.

I am told that a Chennai Meet is in the offing, and hopefully I will be able to meet all you guys.

Viswa
Old 21st August 2012, 10:52   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viswam View Post
Hi diffuser
touched by the narration and pained by the gruesome fall. Apparently your grit and determination have helped in coming out of the abyss. Kudos to you!

Your saga reminds me of the rash Auto near KK Nagar, Chennai which hit my scooter from behind at very high speed a few years back. which made me hit the truck before me and throwing me a good 15 metres away. As a result of multiple fractures including all 5 fingers in right palm i was out of activity for more than 2 months then.

Glad to know you are getting back to your routines, but sad to know that you are talking about VRS over this year-end at 23 !

This should be a wake-up call to all for safe-ride, as repeatedly being stressed in Teak-BHP. Even if we cruise at 30kmph, the impact of an accident triggerred by recklessness of someone else could well be life-threatening. Happy for you that it is safer inside a car than while riding a motorcycle.

I am told that a Chennai Meet is in the offing, and hopefully I will be able to meet all you guys.

Viswa

Thanks Vishwa . Its good that you recovered from your injuries . And by VRS I meant the Skoda Laura vRS not voluntary retirement service mate . I'm sorry if I mislead any of you ! I'm not sure I will be able to make it to the next meet but will definitely meet up in 2-3 months .

Regards,
Balaji.
Old 26th August 2012, 23:43   #20
Senior - BHPian

Diffuser, welcome aboard buddy!

Sorry to hear about your incident - but props for writing this. It can influence someone to ride with gear/change their riding habits and potentially save their life.

Good luck with the recovery. Godspeed.
Old 27th August 2012, 00:02   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anekho View Post
Diffuser, welcome aboard buddy!

Sorry to hear about your incident - but props for writing this. It can influence someone to ride with gear/change their riding habits and potentially save their life.

Good luck with the recovery. Godspeed.

Thank you Sir . I wanted to spread awareness about this which is why I posted such a detailed summary of events . My dad started wearing a helmet only after my accident . A few friends stopped riding their sport bikes for a few months until they got a good helmet at the very least .

Regards,
Balaji
Old 27th August 2012, 13:00   #22
BHPian

Happy to see that you are recovering well.
2 years back while coming down from Khardung La, I too was saved by the riding gear I had on me. On a turn there was a lot of mud and the Xylo in front of me slowed down. I too applied brakes but my bike started skidding and I fell. I just remember trying to fall on the side of the mountain and not towards the valley.
Well, I got up and tried figuring out the damage. I was perfectly okay and couldn't even figure out which parts of my body had hit the road. The Jacket, Gloves, Knee Guards & the Helmet absorbed everything.
Ajitsingh208 is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed