Team-BHP > Introduce yourself

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 19th September 2012, 01:02   #1
BHPian

Debuda joins Team-BHP finally!

I'm Cdr Debashis Mukherjee, a Mechanical Engineer, auto enthusiast and retired Naval Officer. I love long drives and travelling (sometimes even by public transport!). If you have nothing better to do, you may check out my personal homepage.

I'm also passionate about photography and some of my pics may be seen at https://picasaweb.google.com/108492058125179050996

Over the last 4 decades my wheels have been : Ideal Jawa 250, Enfield Bullet 350, Maruti 800, Premier 118NE, Maruti Esteem and Maruti Swift VDi. The last, namely Swift VDi, was bought in Oct 2007 and has given excellent service over 45,000 km. I have chronicled my experience with the Swift VDi at my personal blog over the last 5 years. As one may see at my blog, I have been exchanging notes with many Swift (diesel) owners over the last 5 years. My blog has also been quoted on Team-BHP.

Interestingly, M/s Tata Motors came across my blog on the Swift VDi and commissioned me to carry out a comparative study between the Swift VDi and Vista Quadrajet from a user's perspective lat year.

Time has come to say goodbye to my trusted Swift VDi because I recently booked a XUV500 and I'm strictly a one-car man. The decision to go for the XUV crystallized recently after almost one whole year of research which included reading almost every word that was even penned by Team-BHPians about the XUV and other cars in that category.

I have been following Team-BHP for many years and finally decided to be a part of it. I look forward to a fruitful and enjoyable association with Team-BHPians whom I hold in high esteem.
debuda is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 19th September 2012, 05:53   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Debuda joins Team-BHP finally!

Welcome aboard tbhp commander. I am sure you will enjoy it here with your blogging abilities.

We look forward to an interesting and informative review of the xuv.
pganapathy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2012, 08:55   #3
Senior - BHPian

Welcome to the forum Debuda, I too retired from the navy in August this year after 32 years. What were your findings in the vista vs swift comaro, or is it classified info?
goandude is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2012, 10:00   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Welcome to Team-BHP, Sir. Your blog is too voluminous to read at one go, but your pictures on Picasa were great. We do love looking at beautiful pics too, and I'm sure you'll enjoy participating on these two threads as well: 1. and 2. Would you mind sharing what gear you use for photography?
SS-Traveller is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2012, 14:56   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by goandude View Post
Welcome to the forum Debuda, I too retired from the navy in August this year after 32 years. What were your findings in the vista vs swift comaro, or is it classified info?
My report on the comparative study between Swift VDi and Vista Quadrajet is Tata Motors' intellectual property and so I cannot share it publicly. However, I can say this much that broadly I found the two cars not radically different / dissimilar, i.e., none is leagues ahead of the other. In certain areas the Swift (diesel) is somewhat ahead and in some other areas Vista Quadrajet offers the customer a bit more. I made a detailed presentation at PCBU, Pune [which was attended by Mr. Girish Wagh & his design team + Head (Car Plant - PCBU) & his manufacturing team] where in addition to a feature-by-feature technical comparison, I highlighted certain issues of brand positioning and brand perception.

Though the 1.3 litre Multijet / Quadrajet engines of the two cars are identical in design and construction, there are differences in the ECU settings which make the behaviour (torque curve, primarily) somewhat different.

For the 3-week long trials I was given a brand new Vista Quadrajet which I tested in and around Jamshedpur and Calcutta and then drove it to West Sikkim and back. Subsequently, I also drove on the Bombay-Pune Expressway to check out the car's high speed performance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Welcome to Team-BHP, Sir. Your blog is too voluminous to read at one go, but your pictures on Picasa were great. We do love looking at beautiful pics too, and I'm sure you'll enjoy participating on these two threads as well: 1. and 2. Would you mind sharing what gear you use for photography?
I shall certainly check out the threads mentioned by you. My present camera is a simple compact digicam -- Canon SX100IS. However, I make full use of its features and almost never use it in full AUTO mode.

Last edited by Technocrat : 20th September 2012 at 00:20.
debuda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2012, 20:12   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Debuda, your posts (#5 and #6) would be considered back-to-back posts since they are posted a few minutes of each other, which is not encouraged on this forum. It is recommended that you take a look at this section.
SS-Traveller is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2012, 13:57   #7
BHPian

Welcome aboard Debuda.
Its great to see so many people now on teambhp from Jamshedpur
We look forward to reading more about your experiences
vikramvicky1984 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2012, 20:23   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikramvicky1984 View Post
Welcome aboard Debuda.
Its great to see so many people now on teambhp from Jamshedpur
We look forward to reading more about your experiences
Thanks, VikramVicky. I have no idea how many Jamshedpuris are here on TBHP. But even if there are a handful of us, we can probably have a TBHP get-together at Jamshedpur! I'm game for it any time.

I'm about to purchase a XUV500. So I'm more active on the XUV threads (XUV Niggles thread and XUV Test Drive & Review thread).

Last edited by debuda : 15th October 2012 at 20:37. Reason: Minor correction
debuda is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed