Team-BHP > Introduce yourself

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 8th October 2012, 21:17   #1

Hello All BHPians

Hello all Bhpians. I am ummieg, a 51 yrs old, serving Army Officer, presently in J&K. Although I have driven all types of vehicles in the Army, the best experience has been driving TATRA on the sand dunes in Rajastan.

I and my wife are driving enthusiasts and have driven all over India in our WagonR. Notable ones are

(a) Ahmedabad-Bangalore-Coorg
(b) Coorg-Bangalore-Hyderabad-Nagpur-Bhopal
(c) Bhopal-Delhi
(d) Bhopal-Chandigarh via Gujarat and Rajastan.
(e) And recently, Kanyakumari to Srinagar.

My WagonR is about to clock two lakh kms. Planning to upgrade to Skoda Yeti, while moving from J&K next year, however, after sales service issues are making me think through my head rather than my heart. Plan to hear everything from Team BHP Yetians before making up my mind.
ummieg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2012, 22:51   #2
BHPian

Re: HELLO ALL BHPians

Hello Sir,

Let me be the first one to welcome you. Those are some serious miles behind you and wow Tatra, that must have been awesome.

Skoda Yeti is an amazing car. Maybe going through a few ownership reviews will help you make up your mind, there are quite a few on this forum.

And like always, cannot skip on the most important part, please do go through the rules which will guide you.

Always good to see serving officers on board. Enjoy!
Old 9th October 2012, 05:40   #3
Senior - BHPian

Welcome aboard tbhp ummieg. It is always a pleasure to have an army officer on board. My fathers brother and one of my mothers brothers are both ex army so I know what their lives had entailed.

I must say that you have had a variety of driving experiences, which can only serve you well on a website like this. Most of us have petrol rather than blood in our veins.

You are lucky that your job let's you travel and see some of the most beautiful sites in the country, a pleasure the rest of us have to pay for. I am sure you could write some amazing travelogues and we look forward to those
Old 9th October 2012, 10:40   #4
BHPian

A very warm welcome to you Ummieg

My dad also served in ARMY and retired a couple of years ago as a JCO. Alas! I could drive any of the Gypsies and MM550s even though they were always around.
Request you to pen down few of your experiences that will give us an insight into the lives of defence personnel.

Now that we have a an officer on board, that too a serving one, we can expect a few retired 550s coming our ways. There are many members here dying to lay hands on one. Would you please help us out?
Old 9th October 2012, 11:38   #5
BHPian

Welcome @ummieg,

As far Skoda after sales go, I had a pleasant experience. My one year old fabia was accidentally topped up with petrol mixed with 2T oil.
By the time this fuel reached the engine, it refused to start.
I called up the helpline at about 8pm and they offered to send a flat-bed to pick up the car that night itself, even though the service station was more than 110 km away.
Anyway, I asked them to send it the next morning and they promptly arrived and took the vehicle to the station at no cost.
The subsequent tank cleaning etc was done very professionally as well.
So I would strongly recommend the Yeti. The only downside could be the poor resale value.

All the best.
Old 9th October 2012, 11:40   #6
Senior - BHPian

Ummieg sir, welcome. As a common request, do share your experiences with us(of driving those all wheel drive monsters). Happy miles.

Once again welcome aboard.
Old 10th October 2012, 16:43   #7
BHPian

Re: Hello All BHPians

Welcome Aboard Sir,

My dad was in the army too Took voluntary retirement and retired as a Lt. Colonel way back in 1990!

As a child I remember dad taking us on a lot of road trips, covering most of the country. One of the trips were similar to yours. He drove us in our 1961 model Amby from Srinagar (He was posted there at that point of time) to Kanyakumari. Needless to say he was an auto enthusiast.

Like father, like son

Wish you a wonderful stay on teambhp Sir!
Old 12th October 2012, 10:29   #8

Hi Thanks everyone for welcoming me to the team. I will strive to be a worthy member of the group.

Nice to see so many BHPians with Army connection.
Thank you once again.
Old 12th October 2012, 12:10   #9
BHPian

Hello ummieg

How come your join date is showing as Dec 2006? am i missing something here!
Old 12th October 2012, 21:13   #10

Dear Engrohit,

It is right. I joined Team BHP in 2006. I did not complete all the formalities to be able to post. I used to log in occasionally and mostly remained a ROM(Read Only Member). Now I have decided to be active in the team and here I am!
ummieg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2012, 12:08   #11

[quote=pganapathy;2927046. It is always a pleasure to have an army officer on board. My fathers brother and one of my mothers brothers are both ex army so I know what their lives had entailed.
[/QUOTE]

Dear pganapathy,

Nice to meet a person from Coorg on team BHP. I am also from Coorg(Somwarpet). I learnt from one of your latest posts that you have studied in Netherlands. My sister and Brother-in-law were in Netherlands for more than 40 yrs and have recently moved to India and settled at Madikeri.
Old 15th October 2012, 12:04   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ummieg View Post
Dear pganapathy,

Nice to meet a person from Coorg on team BHP. I am also from Coorg(Somwarpet). I learnt from one of your latest posts that you have studied in Netherlands. My sister and Brother-in-law were in Netherlands for more than 40 yrs and have recently moved to India and settled at Madikeri.
It is a small world indeed. There are a couple of people from Coorg on the site as well. Met one recently and know of a few others.

I am from close to Gonikoppa in Coorg. Right now my folks are at home on the estate.

The Netherlands was truly an awesome time in my life. I still miss that place a lot.

Once you have posted 25 times, your PM will be activated. We can exchange details at that point and keep in touch.
Old 15th October 2012, 13:51   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ummieg View Post
Dear Engrohit,

It is right. I joined Team BHP in 2006. I did not complete all the formalities to be able to post. I used to log in occasionally and mostly remained a ROM(Read Only Member). Now I have decided to be active in the team and here I am!
In that case, you should be welcom'ing' many of us
Old 15th October 2012, 17:35   #14
BHPian

Chief,

Thank you for deciding to get active on this forum! We look forward to you recounting interesting travelogues. As an aside, I hope to make it to Coorg within the next 2-3 months - been a long pending plan.

Cheers!
Closed Thread

Most Viewed