Team-BHP > Introduce yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 12th October 2012, 04:03   #1
BHPian

Got in to Ivy league in a single attempt, but 5 attempts to get a membership here :D

Hello Everyone
I am very glad to finally come on board, after 5-6 fruitless attempts spanned over 2 years to get in here

Yes, it was in the mid of July 2010 on my birthday, i.e., 13th July to be precise when i came to know the good news that my team has been selected for BAJA SAE INDIA 2011.
Till then it was well and good.All my dreams about designing and fabricating an ATV will become true in just few months, I thought.But then, suddenly i ran out of ideas (Due to happiness, may be ? ) and all the ideas that occurred to my mind seemed like mere rants.Then i remembered Team-BHp, a wonderful community, which i found out a year earlier, somewhere in 2009.I decided to sign up for Team-BHP , so that i can share my ideas of ATV with this and all the motor-heads here can guide me very well, Again a thought I say.
That evening, after the party ( It was my birthday in my 2nd year of Engineering, ah the good times) , I went home and registered, hoping to get accepted the next day so that i can start posting. I heard that getting in to Team-Bhp was not an easy task, but i was too over confident to say the least.
Bang!! Came the reply in next 3-4 days.It says try again and the forum is open to non members too and one can read all the posts without registering.Nevertheless i was doing the same for the past one year, i thought.
I re-registered again with in a couple of days.The reply did not change.I browsed Facebook and shocked to see a friend's status which goes something like this " I could have cleared CAT if i had tried 3 times.But not Team BHP membership " .By this time, I figured it out that, its not easy to get in here.
We started the design and fabrication work of our ATV and many times, we were lost completely.Our college did not fund the project and we spent zillions of hours trying to get sponsors. Also, our batch founded SAE club in our college.So there were neither the seniors, nor the faculty who know a thing called SAE exists.Also, none of the machines which are used fabricate are available at our college.So we had to travel 45 kms from the heart of the Hyderabad city, where we rented a garage for the sole purpose of fabrication. In the mean while, i tried to get in to Team-Bhp so that we can be on track again, with the suggestions from here.But,Rejected again.
At the same time of the BAJA SAE INDIA 2011, I was preparing for my GRE.So it was really a nightmare to manage between sponsor's search,team's management, our college management's hostility towards the project and my GRE.

P.S: It took 10 days for our HOD to sign the BAJA SAE document, who thought that this was kind of a scam, dont ask the name of our college.It is one of the zillion engineering colleges in Hyderabad.Forget about the funds, they did not even provide us with the attendance for the time we were sweating in the garage to build an ATV.Later , when our car got media's attention, while we were testing it on the roads, the college boasted that every single paisa was borne by the college for the project. For the fact, it was we students, who shelled out a good sum of 3.5 lakhs among us to keep the project running.
Finally, we built or own ATV, fully done in the garage that we rented.We all are set to go to Pithampur,Indore,MP, finally for the race.And then there, I met Behram Dhabhar Sir. What an inspiration he was.
Now coming to me, after BAJA 2011, i ramped up my GRE preparation, spent one good year in waiting for admits and finally, I am here in the US in one of the top universities in the world and one of the best for Electrical Engineering, supposedly called public Ivy League.The God of Power Electronics and Electric drives,Professor Ned Mohan is in my university and i am currently taking a course under him. As you all know, Electric drives has very much important role in the field of Electric Vehicles , which is going to be the future mode of transport i suppose.Also, I am currently seeing great number of Chevy Volts here, which is a good sign and I am loving the place here.

P.S : Minneapolis is the only place in the US, where you see a substantiate number of bikes,mopeds ( just like Scooty's back in India ).

P.S : I tried to upload the pic of the ATV, But i am not sure whether anyone will read this, as i know I am not a good writer at all.
Also, I still could not figure out how to post pictures in this community.Can anyone guide me through , where i can find the procedure ?

Last edited by Koenigsegg220 : 12th October 2012 at 04:27.
Koenigsegg220 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th October 2012, 04:17   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koenigsegg220 View Post
Hello Everyone.

I am very glad to finally come on board, after 5-6 fruitless attempts spanned over 2 years to get in here

P.S : I tried to upload the pic of the ATV, But i am not sure whether anyone will read this, as i know I am not a good writer at all.
Also, I still could not figure out how to post pictures in this community.Can anyone guide me through , where i can find the procedure ?
Welcome to Team-Bhp

Click here (Uploading photographs directly to Team-BHP) to find out how to upload a picture on Team-Bhp.

Most of the US folks spend their time on the following thread for all US car related discussions

Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

See you around
Technocrat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th October 2012, 04:33   #3
BHPian

Re: Got in to Ivy league in a single attempt, but 5 attempts to get a membership here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Welcome to Team-Bhp

Click here (Uploading photographs directly to Team-BHP) to find out how to upload a picture on Team-Bhp.

Most of the US folks spend their time on the following thread for all US car related discussions

Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

See you around
Thank You Technocrat !
Thank you for the link to Tutorial.I will upload them soon.
I will surely follow that thread in the days to come.
Old 12th October 2012, 07:26   #4
BHPian

Re: Got in to Ivy league in a single attempt, but 5 attempts to get a membership here

Just asking , which Ivy league is in Minneapolis?
Old 12th October 2012, 09:56   #5
BHPian

Welcome to Team-Bhp.

And University of Minnesota in Ivy League? What is "Public Ivy League"?
Old 12th October 2012, 10:03   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.abhijeet View Post
Just asking , which Ivy league is in Minneapolis?
I mentioned public Ivy League in the post.
There are no characters left in the subject to write the full word "public"

Oh, man now i feel that i exaggerated it.
Started typing the thread the moment i got the acceptance e-mail.That may be the reason.

P.S: Anyway U of M is ranked much higher than Ivy leagues AFA my branch is considered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBR_SHR View Post
Welcome to Team-Bhp.

And University of Minnesota in Ivy League? What is "Public Ivy League"?
Public Ivy leagues are universities that are comparable to ivy leagues and in sometimes better than some of the original Ivy Leagues in some areas of expertise such as Engineering, Law etc.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_Ivy

Last edited by Technocrat : 13th October 2012 at 03:40. Reason: Note from the Team-BHP Support: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the same thread.
Koenigsegg220 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2012, 15:15   #7
Team-BHP Support

Welcome aboard Koenigsegg220!

Quote:
P.S: It took 10 days for our HOD to sign the BAJA SAE document, who thought that this was kind of a scam, dont ask the name of our college.It is one of the zillion engineering colleges in Hyderabad.Forget about the funds, they did not even provide us with the attendance for the time we were sweating in the garage to build an ATV.Later , when our car got media's attention, while we were testing it on the roads, the college boasted that every single paisa was borne by the college for the project.
Wow thats awful. Add that to the long list of HOD-Horror-stories that most Indian FSAE teams have. They should get extra points in the competition for that

Since you're here, do see this thread, especially point #2, and keep that in mind when posting on the forum.

Cheers,
R
Rehaan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2012, 15:35   #8
Senior - BHPian

Welcome Koenigsegg220.

All is well that ends well, eh? Looking forward to your ATV photo. Better still you can start a thread on your experience
mallumowgli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2012, 01:49   #9
BHPian

Quote:
I mentioned public Ivy League in the post.
There are no characters left in the subject to write the full word "public"

Oh, man now i feel that i exaggerated it.
Started typing the thread the moment i got the acceptance e-mail.That may be the reason.

P.S: Anyway U of M is ranked much higher than Ivy leagues AFA my branch is considered.
Welcome to the the forum and to the US. I am a U-of-M Wolverine myself, and a proud follower of the exploits of the world class group of solar-electric automotive engineers and professors at this University. I'm planning to write something about the abominable Solar Car Team of the Univ of Michigan some day, my sluggish nature permitting. These guys are really inspiring and are at the top of their game.
NinadJoshi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2012, 21:40   #10
Senior - BHPian

Congrats man! Welcome aboard. Have a nice stay, happy miles. Study well, I am sure, you won't face anymore of these HOD issues in the U-of-M. So, enjoy your studies and let your mind wander for new thoughts.
AlphaKilo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2012, 07:12   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Wow thats awful. Add that to the long list of HOD-Horror-stories that most Indian FSAE teams have. They should get extra points in the competition for that

Since you're here, do see this thread, especially point #2, and keep that in mind when posting on the forum.

Cheers,
R
HOD horror stories,yes.
But those days are absolute fun, learning by experience.
If there were any points like that, no doubt our team's points will make other competitors sleepless.lol

All the points in that thread are duly noted and will adhere to them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallumowgli View Post
Welcome Koenigsegg220.

All is well that ends well, eh? Looking forward to your ATV photo. Better still you can start a thread on your experience
Thank You mallumowgli.
An idea of thread is on cards already. All that I need is some time .
Here is our ATV photo.
Got in to Ivy league in a single attempt, but 5 attempts to get a membership here :D-dsc01860_2.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinadJoshi View Post
Welcome to the the forum and to the US. I am a U-of-M Wolverine myself, and a proud follower of the exploits of the world class group of solar-electric automotive engineers and professors at this University. I'm planning to write something about the abominable Solar Car Team of the Univ of Michigan some day, my sluggish nature permitting. These guys are really inspiring and are at the top of their game.
Thank You Ninadjoshi.
Hey, I am not in Michigan-Ann Arbor. Mn-Twin cities it is.
You guys are much more awesome when it comes to automobiles.
Sadly, they call both the universities by the same name- U of M.
AFAIK, they are building a solar car here too, with a budget of whooping 1,00,000 $ for the Australian Solar GP 2013.
I registered for that too and i will keep posting the updates for sure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaKilo View Post
Congrats man! Welcome aboard. Have a nice stay, happy miles. Study well, I am sure, you won't face anymore of these HOD issues in the U-of-M. So, enjoy your studies and let your mind wander for new thoughts.
Thank You Alphakilo.
No more miles as of now. It hurts when i remind myself of the fact that it has been more than 3 months since i laid hands on a car.
Next mission, driving license in US.
Can anybody guide me about the procedure to get driving license in Minnesota, in particular ?
Yes, as far as enjoying studies, its going really well now.
Duly noted the gyaan

Last edited by Technocrat : 15th October 2012 at 22:40. Reason: only 2 smilies per post allowed, please read the board rules carefully before proceeding further, thanks
Koenigsegg220 is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks