Team-BHP > Introduce yourself

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 13th October 2012, 21:29   #1
BHPian

Me, myself and my machines

There are forums and then there are more forums; and finally, there is Team-BHP! Period.

Folks, it gives me immense pleasure being a part of this august forum. But my membership of this forum means two unfortunate implications for the group - I effectively increase the average age and decrease the average IQ levels of this group! So, my apologies for this! I am not even an intermediate as far as auto knowledge goes - but heck yes, I know a good machine when I see/drive one. Would not my decision to go in for the 1.6L, 100 horses powered S10, 9years back, be ample evidence of this?

At 40 years, with a soulmate (she is an architect and interior designer - now, a full time mother), 2 kids and 2 EMIs, am the quintessential middle-aged, middle-class Indian. I work for a large technology multinational that does everything related to technology under the sun - well, almost everything! I live in Mumbai (Chandivli, Nahars - anyone close by, would be happy to connect) and hence have learn't the art of being patient! Am a non-resident, fake mallu (was born in Bhubaneswar, spent 25 years of my life there and then have worked in Chennai, Hyderabad and now Mumbai).

Like I hinted earlier, I had a long affair with a canary yellow Italian beauty called the S10. That was my first and only crush that resulted in a 9 year old relationship. But her 'drinking problem", the cardiac-arrest inducing pace of price increase of her fuel and an expanding, weekend-vacations demanding family forced me to find her a new home - thanks to the Team-BHP classifieds, a fine, young man from Hyderabad took her home last saturday. And in a strange way, I realized how fathers felt when their daughters left home to spend their remaining lives with someone else; someplace else.

As I write this, am yet to decide who could take her place - another Italian stunner - the Linea MJD, a wannabe SUV - the Duster or the can't-ignore-the-looks and equipment loaded Fluidic Verna CRDI. At times when my mind disconnects itself from my financial reality, the Yeti flirtatiously sways in. In a nutshell, main aur meri tanhai aksar ye baatein karte hain, thoda aur cash hota to kya hota!! Need to decide fast, though! Not a surprise then, am busy looking into this forums archives to help me take a decision soon. Will keep you guys posted.

Till then, ciao and drive safe.

Siju -> a Soul-on-4hweels.
soul-on-4wheels is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 14th October 2012, 22:00   #2

Re: Me, myself and my machines

Hello Siju. Its my turn to welcome you now. i hope you get all the help to get your perfect machine. Try and take as many test rides as possible. They say you don't choose your machine but the machine chooses you. (i think i picked this up from the movie TRANSFORMERS. i don't remember who said it though)

Have fun while you are at it.
nikhill is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2012, 00:33   #3
BHPian

Hearty Congratulations Siju and Welcome to Team-Bhp.

Kindly spare a moment and go through the rules and regulations.

Sorry to read that you had to part with the Italian beauty, S10.
Nevertheless,
Somethings are beyond our control and we have to accept them as they come,
no matter how much they matter to us.

Don't get disheartened mate.
I am sure you would be able to find an equivalent and competent beauty soon.

Wish you many miles and smiles.
Have a nice day.!
palash987 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2012, 04:43   #4
Senior - BHPian

Welcome aboard Sir. Wish you have a great time here. How about starting your first thread in What Car section to decide on your next car?
Anand123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2012, 08:23   #5
BHPian

Thanks, Nikhill, Palash987 and Anand123! The search is still on. Have TDed the Linea, ANHC MT & AT, Rapid D, Vento D, Scala D, Duster 110 D and Etios D. Now I am thoroughly confused! Anyways, hope to take a decision soon. Incidentally, the ANHC AT was such a dream to drive - aah, if only the petrol prices were not so criminal, the decision would have been made by now.
soul-on-4wheels is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2012, 10:37   #6
BHPian

Welcome soul-on-4wheels!
That's one nice intro!

Have a wonderful time!
a*ed is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2012, 13:27   #7
BHPian

Welcome to the forum sir.
Nice write up indeed.
Looking foreward for more intresting articles from you in various sections.

Last edited by WDM007 : 16th October 2012 at 13:27. Reason: change in thoughts
WDM007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2012, 13:28   #8
Senior - BHPian

Welcome aboard tbhp, soul on 4 wheels.

It is never a problem to admit that you don't know something. All of us have things we can learn and admitting we don't know it is the first step to learning. There is a Chinese proverb that says "he who asks a question is a fool for five minutes, he who remains quiet is a fool for life". Ask away and we shall try to increase your knowledge, just like we all ask about something or the other.
pganapathy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th October 2012, 16:56   #9
BHPian

Nice to know you Siju and a pretty amusing introductory write-up

I'm very happy to see this recent spurt of membership on T-BHP from the island city. May our tribe increase!

Btw am not very far away from you and would be happy to sync up sometime. Have fun and goodluck!
Omtoatom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2012, 01:11   #10
BHPian

Dear Siju,

One of the most beautiful piece of writing. Thanks for you new thread. Will eagerly wait for your new selection. I am looking fwd to your feel of Linea D vs Rapid D when you find some time to share!
Happy motoring.
sanyal779 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2012, 08:07   #11
Senior - BHPian

That was a soulful write-up, soul on 4 wheels. Welcome to Tbhp and happy hunting for your new car
mallumowgli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2012, 18:45   #12
Senior - BHPian

aha! Welcome to the forum, Siju. I am sure you will be at home with the members. A Fiat, 100 horses, well what else does any one want more? I am sure the heart burns, pocket burns made up after you drove the S10 - limited edition, Man! That was class!

Loved the write up / introduction. I am sure you will find the perfect car that will replace the S10 in near future.

Last edited by planet_rocker : 18th October 2012 at 18:47.
planet_rocker is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2012, 21:30   #13

Welcome aboard Siju. That was an excellent intro. Loved going through it. Happy hunting for your new car.
ummieg is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed