Team-BHP > Introduce yourself

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 2nd September 2004, 02:41   #1
BHPian

I can't say I'm totally mad about cars. I mean, I grew up flipping thru car magazines and playing with a few hundred different 1:36 scale models, and then shifted to playing car games on whatever gaming system I could lay my hands on. But I never spoke car-tongue like the rest of the people.

By the end of school, everyone I knew had a dream car that they'd really want to swing around the hood in, but I was silent when asked about mine. At times I tried, and the best (or worst?) I could come up with was Knight Rider's car. The very fact that I call it that, and not "the Corvette Z6 'KIT'" or whatever that car was, is evident enough about my nonchalance with respect to the four wheeler culture.

I had to find a better car. Knowing almost nothing about them, I didn't know where to start. You don't just pick thru a list of cars and say "Yes, this shall be my dream car!" So what could I do? Nothing. And that's what I did. Then I saw the movie "As Good as it Gets" and that Saab 9-3C really stuck out of the frame for me. I did think about it for an exceedingly long amount of time, and well, I guess I could say that was my first "dream" car. I had big plans of moving to the US for higher studies and then landing a good techie job with a great salary, eventually leading to the purchase of the 9-3C.

None of that happened. And I even forgot about the car in all that followed.

Then I played Colin McRae Rally 2.0 and i found myself driving only one car all the time, so much that I didnt even know what the other cars responded like. The 2000 Mitsubishi Lancer Evo 5 or 6 or whatever. A part of my attraction towards that car could be attributed to the fact that was the only rally-bred car that was actually available in India. Ok, not spec-wise but at least it had pretty much the same body - buy it and Tommi it up like its 1999! Not like I'm gonna need Turbo to go from Mahim to Bandra and back, which is pretty much all I really drive. It looked great to me, and I also saw a more possible dream of owning that car in the near future.

There I had it. My dream car. The only car I've really loved, the only car I've really wanted to buy, the only car i WILL buy some day.

Well, almost.

Hello people of Team BHP. I'm Aalaap from Mahim. I'm a computer whizz-guy (can't say "whizz-kid" anymore!) and I love the Lancer. But I can't afford it, so I'm temping in my white 99 Zen for now.

Any questions?

- Aalaap

Old 2nd September 2004, 04:14   #2
Team-BHP Support

Hey Aalaap,

Welcome aboard bro!
Im sure if you spend enough time on TBHP your "car drive" will increase substantially
So what kinda computer whizzing are you into?

Goodluck on your lancer pal....im sure itll happen soon!
cya
R
Old 2nd September 2004, 11:53   #3
Senior - BHPian

Welcome Aalaap......enjoy your stay!
Old 2nd September 2004, 12:00   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Aalaap,

You have just won the award for the longest intro yet...and one of the most interesting!

Join the club, the EVO 6 is a favorite with many of us Team-BHPians. In fact, its on my Top 10 cars ever.

Why dont you check out Team-BHPs Encounter with the EVO 6 in Mahim?

GTO
Old 2nd September 2004, 12:07   #5
Team-BHP Support

welkome
Old 2nd September 2004, 14:12   #6
BHPian

Hey Aalaap,

A shout out from anutha Lancer-luvin' brutha!

Couldn't help identifying with the 'the only car i WILL buy some day' sentiment. Though it may not be the ONLY car I buy, I have spent many a lazy afternoon lying back and dreaming of riding into some day's sunset behind the wheel of that car...

Old 2nd September 2004, 17:42   #7
BHPian

lol, of course, i'd love to say that the Lancer may not be the ONLY car I buy, however, I can't even afford one, so putting others on the list is just too much wishful thinking!

- Aalaap
Old 2nd September 2004, 17:53   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]So what kinda computer whizzing are you into?
I make sites, I make software, I write articles, I make wallpapers for my phone and play WRC/CMR/NFS on my PS2. I'm a programmer / web designer. I've worked for Chip mag, TechTree, and Directi. I've had a few of my freeware titles listed on CNet and such sites. And everyone says I type like i have a NOS tin on each finger, I guess that's true!

Right now I'm taking some time off to mend a few things that arguably went wrong earlier on in my career. But let me not bore you with that!

Thanks for the warm welcome guys! I know I'll enjoy my stay here.

- Aalaap

Old 4th September 2004, 02:34   #9
BHPian

Oh, man, I don't believe this!!! [img]http://www.team-bhp.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/***.gif[/img] Your story's uncannily similar to mine! "Kit" was a favourite of mine for a very, very long time... infact everyone in my family calls me Kit! Got hooked on to CMR2, too, and still find it better than 3 and 4. Made mistakes and didn't make it to the US. Can't afford a Subaru WRX yet so throw a Zen around in the meantime. Maybe we can race sometime... fingers if not cars!!!
Welcome to the 'hood, bro!!! This is the next best place to be after the cockpit of a WRC EVO!!!
Old 4th September 2004, 02:45   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]Got hooked on to CMR2, too, and still find it better than 3 and 4.
Haven't played much of 3 or 4 on the PC, so I can't compare, but I know the Evo in CMR2 is the exact shape I love. I dont like the '03/'04 models :~(

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]Maybe we can race sometime... fingers if not cars!!!
Hah yeah sure, head over with a six-pack ... Evo vs. WRX bring it on !!! Btw BYOC* !!!

- Aalaap

* BYOC: Bring Your Own Controller!

Old 4th September 2004, 20:22   #11
GTO
Team-BHP Support

The two of you would probably be interested in our Knight Rider for sale thread.

GTO
Old 4th September 2004, 20:22   #12
Senior - BHPian

Welcome Dude....Hey good to know bout ya Lancer love.Its really a wonderful car.Sum work on it and its ready to roll!!!
I love Lancers too and like u if i have a choice i wud knock down a V-tec over it.
Cya around.......
Old 5th September 2004, 00:00   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]The two of you would probably be interested in our Knight Rider for sale thread.
Not anymore!!!

- Aalaap
Old 6th September 2004, 14:32   #14
BHPian

hi aal, nice to have u here.the intro did make for some interesting reading........good to know u're an avid car-gamer too. cheers and enjoy the stay
Old 7th September 2004, 02:04   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (aalaap @ Sep. 04 2004,01:15)]Hah yeah sure, head over with a six-pack ... Evo vs. WRX bring it on !!! Btw BYOC* !!!

How 'bout I BYOP (my own PC!). We could try it online sometime... it's always better if you know something about the dude you're racing

Hope to catch your EVO in my WRX's rear view someday, bro... hang in there, I'm sure you'll be driving one someday!

"GTO: our main man who's always armed with just-the-perfect-link... keep it comin'!"
Closed Thread

Most Viewed