Team-BHP > Introduce yourself

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 18th July 2013, 17:21   #1
BHPian

The nutjob from Bombay

A big hello to all fellow bhpian's

Firstly, thanks for accepting me to this community.

I have to thank someone for referring me to this community. Till now, I thought I was the only one living who had thoughts about cars. The kind which I read here on this forum.

I am a doctor by profession, and a petrol head by passion. I eat, sleep and drink cars. Besides cars, I am active only in the medicine community. Otherwise, I am generally regarded as a recluse by all my friends and family. I spend all my free time reading books and maintaining my cars.

Coming to cars, as of now I don't own my personal ride as yet, but am responsible for maintaining all of family rides. So, I have a good know how about the functioning and maintenance of cars in general. My family rides are as follows:
1. Chevrolet Spark: 2007 model, done 90K kms as on date. The car I learnt to drive in, it holds a special place in my heart.
2. Ford figo: 2010 model, done 30K kms. My dads primary ride, its the titanium diesel. My favorite ride as well.
3. New ford fiesta dct: My mom's ride. Done 10k till date. Its an excellent car, but just doesn't pull my heart strings. But its the only car I prefer to drive when I have to, largely due to the A/T convenience.

History (since I have been born) in the following order:
1. Maruti 800 (x3)
2. Opel corsa 1.6
3. Honda city (x2): the dolphin model
4. Maruti zen: jelly bean
5. Skoda Octavia 1.9tdi
6. Skoda Laura L&K pumpe duse.
7. Toyota qualis
8. Maruti Ritz

Yeah, my dad is a crazy living being.I have learnt whatever little knowledge I have by doing maintenance of above cars

Apart from the above cars which we own, I personally am caretaker of 7 other cars of friends and extended family. I get allotted an annual budget for the maintenance of all these vehicles (includes 7 other cars as well). Its not a generous budget either (you see, my parents believe strongly that a vehicle shouldn't require any maintenance at all, they prefer to let the authorized service centers loot them, and sell off the car in 5 years). But thanks to my interest in automobiles I now can proudly say, that in spite of a strict budget, my cars are simply superb mechanically. Although I have to compromise as far as the looks are concerned (read --> dents, dings and scratches), I hope to close the gap in the near future (read--> 5-6 years, I have to fight for a higher allotment for car care every year in the budget you see).

A little more about myself:
1. I am a firm believer of long term car ownership, and I love cars of 70's and 80's era a lot more than the new ones which are rolled out from factories today.

2. I prefer a well engineered car, than a feature loaded and a aesthetically beautiful one.

3.The modifying bug hasn't yet bitten me yet, since I thoroughly research about anything that might go into my car, and as of yet, I haven't devoted enough time to understand the pro's and con's of modifying a car.

4. I actually don't drive around much. I prefer to walk or catch a train. Hate travelling by buses, auto-rickshaws or taxis. Most of the mileage in the cars is put up by my family and extended family. However, I love long drives

5. Am not into photography as well, prefer to enjoy the scenes through my eyes and imprint them into my memory rather than see through the lens and then spend a lot of time photo shopping to make the same photo a little bit better (no offense to enthusiasts, my own brother is into photography)

6. Firmly believe in learning and sharing whatever we learn.

Hope to share my car ownership and maintenance experience with all of you here. You will find me more active in the technical section and ownership review sections.

Thanks for reading,

Drive safe,

Simple_car
Simple_car is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 18th July 2013, 18:20   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The nutjob from Bombay

Welcome doc! Hope you contribute to this much-visited thread of ours!

I suppose the Simple car in your handle is your beloved Chevy Spark? My best friend (a doctor, incidentally) owned a Matiz and we loved that car because we could zip through Bombay traffic anywhere in it. Then Daewoo went under and he sold the car for a pittance, despite me warning him against it. He still misses that car, so I guess I know how you feel about your Spark!

Looking forward to many good contributions from you. Please make sure you familiarise yourself with our rules and posting etiquette. Have fun!
noopster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2013, 18:43   #3
BHPian

Hello sir,
Thanks for initiating me into this community.
In the doctor hierarchy, I am at a very junior stage right now. So at this point, my contribution to this thread will be strictly as a guide. I won't be able to help out in specific treatments, but I can guide other members as in how to approach their ailments, if they are taken for a ride etc.
I for one love to share whatever I learn with others.

As far as my handle, it is a poor reflection of my thought philosophy. I believe and adore simplicity in all its aspects. Be it my life, or cars.

Thanks,
Simple_car
Old 19th July 2013, 00:01   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Welcome aboard, Simple_car. I'm sure you'll enjoy the stay, and even get addicted over a period of time.

We do have quite a few petrolheads here with medical qualifications, as you would be discovering already!
SS-Traveller is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2013, 13:21   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Welcome aboard, Simple_car. I'm sure you'll enjoy the stay, and even get addicted over a period of time.

We do have quite a few petrolheads here with medical qualifications, as you would be discovering already!
Thank you very much sir.

I wish I knew this community 4 years back when I first started maintaining cars. Would have saved me time, money and frustration.
I hope to learn and share my experiences with others.
I hope you won't mind if I bother you with inquiries regarding routes and car maintenance.
I just love maintaining my rides, and aim to have my own personal garage at home in the near future.

Thanks,
Simple_car
Old 23rd July 2013, 16:11   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple_car View Post
Thank you very much sir.

I wish I knew this community 4 years back when I first started maintaining cars. Would have saved me time, money and frustration.
I hope to learn and share my experiences with others.
I hope you won't mind if I bother you with inquiries regarding routes and car maintenance.
I just love maintaining my rides, and aim to have my own personal garage at home in the near future.

Thanks,
Simple_car
You're welcome to ask about routes, car maintenance, and anything else to do with (or even not to do with) cars - Team-BHP always has an answer, even if at times I personally may not!

Personal garage full of interesting cars - now, that's a dream all of us have. May your dream come true!
Old 23rd July 2013, 23:13   #7
BHPian

Welcome to the forum and we all are car nuts here.
supercars is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed