Team-BHP > Introduce yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 24th September 2013, 21:16   #1
BHPian

An introduction

Hi to all team members and administrators.
First of all thank you all for accepting me as a member on my first attempt itself.
Now let me introduce myself, My name is Varghese Philip, 55 years of age, working in the Merchant Navy as a Captain since 1987, staying at Cochin (at home and on the roads only during my leave periods).

Got my first driving license in 1982 or so from Mumbai RTO and had been driving occasionally on my father's car (Premier Padmini) during my leave periods and was not at all confident in driving around on the Kerala High Ranges (Ghat roads), as most of the time we were on board the ships. Finally in 1989, when our daughter had to start her schooling, we made our home at Cochin, then thought of buying a car, but before that i just checked with my friends and relatives and realised that my driving license was no more valid as they have changed the format. Then wasted sometime at the RTO for getting it revalidated with no success. Then i found the solution, do the driving test again but found that i have to take a "Learners license" and can appear for test only after 45 days. Thus, i joined a driving school, got the "learners", appeared and cleared my driving test second time in my life.

Thus, i bought my first car (a second hand Red Maruti 800, new body with Japanese Original parts) and then onwards had been extensively driving around (off roading) on all the difficult terrains to Nilgiris, Vayanad, Western ghats, all over Kerala, Chennai etc. Roads were horrible those days and was enjoying the power of my M800!
After about 5/6 years of Maruti 800 usage, decided to upgrade to the then latest Maruti Zen and got one pc. from the first 1000 Zens released in India on NRE payment. Thus, the comfort and reliability of my car and my confidence improved and used this car for 10 years till 2004.

During the early years of this century, a lot of new brands came into the Indian market and in 2004 bought my Honda City GXi, which i used till 2010, when the next car came, the latest model of Honda City with V-AT and improved engine and still enjoying the vehicle.

As you can see from the above, I had been using my cars for 5-10 years, because i fall in love with them and look after them with a lot of love, care and affection. In return, they always cope up to the demands and never disappoint me.

Apologies for such a lengthy introduction. Shall join with some threads as i get some free time.

Wishing you all safe and happy driving!
philgrac is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 24th September 2013, 22:17   #2
BHPian

Re: An introduction

Hi Varghese Philip,

Welcome aboard! Enjoy your stay here.

Glad to see one more Kochiite here. There are many active BHPians from Kochi who meet regularly. You can follow this thread - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/team-b...hi-cochin.html.

Just curious to know the driving school you went to.

Cheers and drive safe!

-- Jose
Old 25th September 2013, 10:11   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by philgrac View Post
Hi to all team members and administrators.
First of all thank you all for accepting me as a member on my first attempt itself.
Now let me introduce myself, My name is Varghese Philip, 55 years of age, working in the Merchant Navy as a Captain since 1987, staying at Cochin (at home and on the roads only during my leave periods).
Welcome Aboard Sir,
Glad to meet a senior here. As Jose mentioned, we have an active Cochin group here and conduct drives. Couple of sailors in our group too. Hope to meet you soon. Keep an eye on that thread.

Enjoy your stay here.
Old 25th September 2013, 17:22   #4
BHPian

Hi Josejoseph & Naveen.raju,

Thanks for reading my intro and the replies.
Gone through the threads and found the Cochin team. But the latest meet i could find was in 2012, is there any more ? However, pls do let me know when we can meet again.

As for the driving schools; The Mumbai one was "Good luck" at Byculla and later on the Cochin one was "Sri Muruga" on K.P.Vallon Road. As both the driving schools were located in the city area, chances of getting some tough ride experience was always difficult and i used to overcome this by going for special sessions for out of town drives on Sundays on extra payment. Later on driving on Kerala Ghat roads was on my own.

Looking forward to meet you all.
Till then, Happy and Safe driving.

Philgrac
philgrac is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2013, 10:11   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by philgrac View Post
Hi Josejoseph & Naveen.raju,

Thanks for reading my intro and the replies.
Gone through the threads and found the Cochin team. But the latest meet i could find was in 2012, is there any more ? However, pls do let me know when we can meet again.
We had a meet couple of weeks back. Just check the last page.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/team-b...ochin-120.html
naveen.raju is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2013, 14:08   #6
Senior - BHPian

Welcome to this prestigious group. Happy to see our Kochi wing is expanding .

M800 to Zen to City to All New City AT, a seasoned upgrade I would say. Shall meet up in the coming days.
Old 26th September 2013, 14:48   #7
BHPian

Greetings Mr.Varghese,

As mentioned by Naveen, we do have our occasional meets and it would be our pleasure if you can join us at any of the meets.

Most of the planning is done thru whatsapp/SMS, so kindly share your mobile number thru IM.

regards,
Rajoy.
Old 26th September 2013, 16:55   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacs View Post
Welcome to this prestigious group. Happy to see our Kochi wing is expanding .

M800 to Zen to City to All New City AT, a seasoned upgrade I would say. Shall meet up in the coming days.
Hi Jacs,

Thank you, Can see your vehicle registered at Kottayam.

Cheers
Philgrac
Old 26th September 2013, 17:11   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajoy123 View Post
Greetings Mr.Varghese,

As mentioned by Naveen, we do have our occasional meets and it would be our pleasure if you can join us at any of the meets.

Most of the planning is done thru whatsapp/SMS, so kindly share your mobile number thru IM.

regards,
Rajoy.
Dear Rajoy,

Thanks yours. Considering my age, am not into whatsapp etc. By the way, is IM same as SMS? Shall try to find your mobile number. In the mean time,
Cheers
Philigrac
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks