Team-BHP > Introduce yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 16th June 2006, 00:35   #1
Senior - BHPian

Vrrrrrmmm!!

A big Hi to all. I am an electrical engineer working as a software consultant with a reputed software firm, but as you may guess from myself registering here, my heart lies in automobiles. I have been following your site for quite sometime now but somehow kept myself away from registering.

Moving onto more about myself, my name , I have no problem in mentioning, is Anirban Ghosh. My first words in my 30 years of life was "Gaari". I used to be fascinated by them, used to sketch them whenever and wherever. Had been punished a lot many times in school for drawing a car on my excercize book. Although a similar thing in a developed country would have groomed me towards the direction of automobile styling. Even now, my meeting notebooks have somepart or the other of a car scribbled on them. However,have been trying to stop it ever since as most people do not beleive I do it subconsciously and am still attentive to them while doing so.

I am in awe of the Mercedes-Benz cars, although I particularly love the W123 shape but that must be something to do with my growing up years. But speaking of practicality, I have my fathers 1969 Fiat 1100d, which somehow appeals to me even in this age of modern MPFI cars, even if my other car is a scorcher of an 2004 sept Ikon 1.6 zxi (bought when SXi's Became ZXi). Why and how I bought the Ikon is a interesting story which I would definitely like to share (but would like some suggestions as to which section that should go to), as far as I was concerned I was completely towards Fiat and used to regard Ford as one boring Brand! However I love my Fiat 1100d like Family, Ikon too, but not much till now.

My first car however was a 1989 2dr Honda Accord SEi with Folding headlights in US, It used to be a lOOKER even a runner, compared to the newer Corollas that our people used to buy, My second car there was a 1991 Honda Prelude Si this was a 5-speed version and was very quick and nimble. Both of these cars although quite old at the time I bought them were in perfect working order and gave me so much fun (read speeding tickets) that the cars available in India that I can afford appear dull in comparison. This is where I developed the love for driving on ice.

Prior to this , I grew up for a few years in a country called Nigeria. I learnt to drive there almost at the age of 9-10 in Peugeot 504 and Mercedes 280E (W123). About the Later, I got a big scolding from my dad but that seemed to be the drive of my life (I was around 11 then). But in anycase the 504 was a very enjoyable car as it used to fishtail sometimes in my hands! Actually there were 2 versions there, a 1800 and a 2000 it was the 2000 that used to fishtail as most roads were gravel (as we used to live in the insides of the country). That sort of a thing with a front driver is almost impossible. One would be surprised to know that I used to indulge in drifting then little to my knowledge that its a form of motorsport. Anyway my Fiat can powerslide on loose surfaces that must be one of the reasons why I love it!

I have a daughter who is 6 month old at this time (she is a end 2005 model). One of her pet names is Mercedes. For this, really had to show the history of Emil Jellinek and his daughter to the family people (mainly relatives as my Mom Dad already know) who think Mercedes is only the name of a car! Had it been just cars then her name could have been anything from Miura to Cinquecento, who cares. F40 anyone?!
1100D is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2006, 03:05   #2
Team-BHP Support

Wow thats quite an intro dude. Welcome to the forum. Enjoy your stay here and make sure you go through the Announcements section.

Regarding FWD drifting, read up about the scandanavian flick on how to drift a FWD. There is a video by Tiff(Formerly TopGear and now Fifthgear) on youtube about FWD drifiting. Just go to http://www.youtube.com and search for Tiff drift . All the best!
Old 16th June 2006, 10:05   #3
Senior - BHPian

Thanks tsk1979. "Youtube" doesn't seem to open from where I usually browse (read that as office). But will definitely try at home.

About the scandanavian flick, have tried that quite a few times in the past in my Accord on Ice. But to tell you the truth its not the same fun as with a RWD, there is no such adrenaline rush as the rear tyres agitating on the surface because of raw torque from the engine itself.

But have driven a few RWD cars on Ice, the only way it seems you can drive them (the examples I had my hands on) on that surface is by driving backwards (But I guess with Traction control its a lot better)..
Old 16th June 2006, 11:57   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D

I have a daughter who is 6 month old at this time (she is a end 2005 model).
Hey i really liked that

Welcome to the forum and enjoy your stay

Cheers
Old 16th June 2006, 12:28   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D
Prior to this , I grew up for a few years in a country called Nigeria.
Welcome, Oga, to TBHP-o! How now?

Very nice intro, spoken like a true motorhead - enjoyed every word.

Welcome once again! Join the party.
Old 16th June 2006, 13:02   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid
Welcome, Oga, to TBHP-o! How now?

Very nice intro, spoken like a true motorhead - enjoyed every word.

Welcome once again! Join the party.

As good as Yam and Cassava!
Old 16th June 2006, 17:52   #7
Senior - BHPian

Hey 1100D,

Welcome to T-BHP..That was some intro man..

Now coming to more interesting stuff, How come you powerslide the old fiat..does it have the power to actually do it ??

cheers
Old 19th June 2006, 12:06   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers
Hey 1100D,

Now coming to more interesting stuff, How come you powerslide the old fiat..does it have the power to actually do it ??

cheers
Can do it on gravel or slippery surfaces (second gear turns with balancing on the clutch). Anyways the engine of my car is still powerful enough. It has been given the auto advance distributor from the Padmini (giving it a very good top end).

Lot of people could do it in the 70's 80's. It was the only drivers car that was available in India for quite sometime remember. The Herald being a very rare find.
Old 11th October 2006, 17:30   #9
Senior - BHPian

hey man! wish we could drift our cars near rajarhat. but the best place to do is in the drive way around 22camac street (west side). wanna play some day when you are free? but watch out for the speed breakers and the nagging security guards. take care.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks