Team-BHP > Introduce yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 7th March 2014, 00:12   #1

An excited soul says hi!

I don't think I know of words that can express how excited I felt when I got to know my membership got approved

I work as a technology analyst in a leading (presumably) financial firm. I graduated last year with a distinction (okay, saying it out is the least I can do with it - or is it the most?) in B.Tech, Computer Science from NIT, Trichy. I totally believe my passions drive me. And on the top of the list is cars.

Honestly, though I knew about team-bhp for about a year now (I'm 21, so I guess I'm not old), I didn't know much about the registration process. I used to visit the site at least once a day (from the day I got to know about it) for a variety of reasons - to see GTO's review on the then latest car, to see pictures of cars' accessories that helped me decide on things for my car. I got to know about the difficulty in getting a membership approved through one of my colleagues, who has a very good background in automobiles (he chose a software job though). He got through after getting rejected once. So I decided to give it a try, and here I am - very much excited and overwhelmed to be a part of the elite group.

I bought the Honda All New City (Petrol) very recently, and I'm waiting for the delivery. From the test-drives that I've had, I felt totally impressed - both by the looks and the technical specifications. This is supposed to be my intro, so I'll take it light on the car

It'd be fantastic if you guys can help me get inducted into the forum, and let me know of the best ways to engage myself much here. I want to learn from the others as well as help others with what I know.

Thanks,
AK
arvind_kumar is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 7th March 2014, 08:27   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: An excited soul says hi!

Welcome to the forum, Arvind!
Spend the first couple o' hundred posts watching the threads and you'll be good. No worries. You have to be really creative to get an infraction in the moderated 25 posts, so carry on!

And if I may, what are you doing in finance after a computer engineering degree?
mayankk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2014, 10:07   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvind_kumar View Post
I don't think I know of words that can express how excited I felt when I got to know my membership got approved
I understand that feeling. Even I was recently approved to be a part of this forum. Welcome aboard. Hope to see you around.
Old 7th March 2014, 12:48   #4
BHPian

Welcome to the Forum. I can completely relate to how you feel when your membership got approved.

Mine got approved few days back and i'm so very excited about it. The feeling is still to sink in.

And by the way, congrats on your new car. Happy Revving & Safe Driving.
Old 7th March 2014, 13:54   #5
Senior - BHPian

welcome aboard Arvind!

as for the induction, i'd revert to whatever Mayank said
Old 8th March 2014, 11:53   #6
BHPian

Congratulations Arvind and welcome on board! !! I can almost feel your excitement in your words!! Do share your new car experience with us when you get it..
Old 8th March 2014, 13:08   #7

Guys, thanks a lot for the overwhelming welcome

Mayank, I work as a technology analyst in our firm, I'm not in the finance division. I feel passion drives me more than anything - I wanted to work in technology, which is why I studied computers at school, and later finance interested me - so I'm here.

Thanks Saurabh for the welcome and letting me know about this. To fellow members who don't follow the context, this is the colleague (aka automobile geek) whom I was referring to in my first post.

I think I'll spend my initial days actively looking at threads and contributing only wherever I feel I've the most confidence.

I was recently enthralled by Apple's "Carplay" service which they announced in the Geneva motor show. Looking forward to write/see about this in our team.
Old 12th March 2014, 01:40   #8
BHPian

Welcome!

As Mayank says, spend time on the posts and it will all make sense and fall in place. I am a newbie too. Let me however warn you, this is addictive. Before you know you will be spending hours here, check threads when you wake up in the morning and check threads while you go to sleep.

But then who is complaining

Mod Note : Post Edited. Smiley usage is restricted to two per post on Team-BHP. Please do NOT use more than 2 smileys in a post.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by Aditya : 17th March 2014 at 10:57. Reason: Removing extra smiley
Old 12th March 2014, 19:46   #9

Absolutely. It's been almost a week and I'm still unable to come out of the excitement.

I got the app on my phone and started using it more than facebook I was surprised to know there are threads for gadgets and movies too - gadgets come just next to cars in my passion list. I'm loving this forum and I just can't wait to start contributing.
Old 12th March 2014, 22:18   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post

And if I may, what are you doing in finance after a computer engineering degree?

Finance after engineering is what all the academically oriented rats choose. Believe me, I was (am) one.

How it worked (for the majority) is I looked up whats the next best thing after a good Class XII/Board score, this led to engineering. Once I get there, I realised this did not interest me at all. Once i wade through an engineering degree, the best options (even financially) seemed to be a change of professions and I chose an MBA from a top 10 (whatever that is!) college. Its not over yet. Once you get through the MBA, the finance sector pays better than the FMCG and other sales jobs. No offense to anyone in particular but this is the route most bright young kids take.

The problem of-course is that middle class kids are so hung up on making a good career and having good academic scores that they don't ever stop to think what they really want to be. The immediate future seems the only important thing.

Anyway completely
Old 13th March 2014, 00:30   #11

I think money SHOULD drive a person in his (/her) twenties - I'd ideally say thirties also. It makes you change yourself for the better, learn things the hard way so they stay forever, and most importantly - gives you the push to do try doing things which you wouldn't otherwise. Once we reach that level of maturity, I think we'd stop thinking of short term goals and make sure our passions drive our life to the maximum extent possible.

Adding to the OT, totally. Apologies.
Old 14th March 2014, 18:40   #12
BHPian

Welcome aboard and like many people here even my membership got approved recently and i'm really exited about it too.

Even i bought a Honda City recently (Mine is Diesel) and am waiting for its delivery.I'm about your age (I'm 20) but have been following team bhp for over 3 years now , i'll be graduating this year but have no idea what to do next.
Old 15th March 2014, 01:11   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketscience View Post
Even i bought a Honda City recently (Mine is Diesel) and am waiting for its delivery.I'm about your age (I'm 20) but have been following team bhp for over 3 years now , i'll be graduating this year but have no idea what to do next.

That's fantastic! I got my car delivered just today. It was one of the best days of my life. I shall post about my experience with the car very soon.

By the way, which course are you majoring in? The final year of college is definitely dilemmatic, when there's an ocean of options around. Hope you figure out your interest soon and get in right there.
Old 15th March 2014, 01:32   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I think money SHOULD drive a person in his (/her) twenties - I'd ideally say thirties also. It makes you change yourself for the better, learn things the hard way so they stay forever, and most importantly - gives you the push to do try doing things which you wouldn't otherwise. Once we reach that level of maturity, I think we'd stop thinking of short term goals and make sure our passions drive our life to the maximum extent possible.

Adding to the OT, totally. Apologies.
Hi Arvind,
Sorry about continuing your OT, but I have to behave like my dad did.....

Don't let money drive you right now. Let your interest drive you. I mean, try out different things to see which one holds your interest. There's loads of time to earn money later on, but this time to explore options? Never again.
That may seem like pish-tosh, as it did to me, but trust me, it is true.
Which was why I found your post a little bi.

Have a good stay, and for god's sake don't treat me as "that preaching uncle" if you spot me in the forum.
Old 15th March 2014, 08:41   #15
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I think money SHOULD drive a person in his (/her) twenties - I'd ideally say thirties also.
Hope that was a typo. Did you leave out NOT after SHOULD? In that case I agree with you. I will be 45 this month, and I have never let money drive me, and glad for it.
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks