Team-BHP > Introduce yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 4th July 2014, 11:38   #1
BHPian

Mechanical Engineer turned Fashion Photographer

Hello All,

I am a fashion photographer based out of Bangalore and just joined TBHP a week ago when I was looking at buying a used Grand Vitara. Did not end up buying it for some reason. However I was amazed with the kind of information available on this forum. I've been on many forums, behaved badly on some but this was the hardest to crack. I just made it through all the questions etc and the articles in the first go. Am so glad I got in and value this membership very much. I do not intend to lose this membership come what may. I plan to ensure that I maintain decorum and make the best out of reading the informative articles here. Am a mechanical engineer by profession and turned into a full time fashion photographer around 4 years ago.

I own a Maruti 800 5 speed 45 bhp MPFI and recently learnt that it was one of the best Maruti's ever made. This made me love my badly maintained car even more. Within a week of reading all the info available here, I washed the car and there was a sudden increase in the love for my car.

I also read about torque and how it affects a car and its relation to BHP. This has really rekindled my interest in automotives and am back on track and plan to use all my photography skills and equipment to get some great shots of my car and future purchases in the automotive arena.

- Your age - Am 33
- What do you do? - Work as a fashion photographer
- How did you hear about Team-BHP? - Oh well its the first search result anytime I google about any query on cars and so realised its the best place to be.
- Your current interests (within the automotive field and out of it) - Cars/Photography / Drumming
- Cars you have previously owned, currently own or wish to own - Maruti 800.... will buy a Honda City ZX Vtec in three days after reading all the reviews here.

madmanscam is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 4th July 2014, 12:30   #2
BHPian

Re: Mechanical Engineer turned Fashion Photographer

Welcome to the forum madmanscam. Unique name!

Let me congratulate you on the fact that you are living every mechanical engineering student's secret dream

Looking forward to your ownership review of the iconic M800.
trek is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 4th July 2014, 16:41   #3
Team-BHP Support

Welcome aboard!

That's an interesting jump in your professional life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmanscam View Post
This has really rekindled my interest in automotives and am back on track and plan to use all my photography skills and equipment to get some great shots of my car and future purchases in the automotive arena.
Do give this thread a look:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...ge-thread.html

cya
R
Old 5th July 2014, 10:09   #4
BHPian

Thank You Trek,

Absolutely, with the number of mech engineers moving into software, this is probably something that is in our gut and it does come out as passion when we see things that move and interest us. Photography again, is a lot about light, gadgets and the kind. I worked with HP for 7 years in a content management role before shifting into Photography.

Thanks Rehaan,

I will have a look at that thread.Meanwhile I am gifting my M800 5 speed to my wife who says she would be maintaining it very well. Am gonna work on keeping that clean too. We might sell our Nano and buy the Honda City in a few days.

R,
Arvind
madmanscam is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2014, 12:43   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

A fellow fashion photographer welcomes you to Team Bhp. Coincidentally i was also in Bangalore for 8 years. Later i left my job for Photography and our family business. Currently am based at Kolkata but i keep on visiting Bangalore. Will love to meet you at Bangalore some day. I must say cars and photography tags along quiet well.
Old 5th July 2014, 12:58   #6
Team-BHP Support

Welcome to Team-BHP. Many of us BHPians are also amateur fashion photographers, but our models are all cars.

Check my garage to see what I mean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmanscam View Post
I also read about torque and how it affects a car and its relation to BHP. This has really rekindled my interest in automotives
I find this bit curious. As a mechanical engineer, didn't you already know about torque and BHP?
Old 5th July 2014, 13:33   #7
BHPian

Hey Samurai,

Yeah I did know about torque, starting torque, hp , the various transmission losses and eventually bhp which is the actual hp (bhp) after all transmission losses. Its been 11 years since I completed my mech engineering and never really had that sort of fascination for cars initially. I just read about one of the shares here about how the same power(bhp) can be used to run a tractor slowly but at the cost of doing a lot of work ( say ploughing a field at a slow speed of 20kmph) and also how the same bhp can be used to run a car faster instead of pulling a heavy load.

This kinda got me to understand the concept even better beyond rpm which is just a random number. Academics are made to look quite boring and when you're out of college things seems to sink in better. My love for mechanical was purely with mechanisms and how they move ( scotch Yoke being my favorite). I still use so many mechanical things in my current profession which includes sliders/steadycams/pantographs etc.

My mother once hit my remote toy car on the floor and broke it since my brother and I were fighting for it.I had tears in my eyes while I lifted the broken pieces and found a motor inside it. The many days that followed this incident were sheer joy. I made a small washing machine , fan and so many other things with this little motor and to this day am glad that my mother broke it.

As I started photography, being from a technical background these concepts really inspired me to learn the technicalities involved in photography and how maths / science and physics form the basis of all technology. The other journey understanding art and fashion took a little longer since it was much more than technology. So here I am standing in the midst of all this planning my first big car.

I was in total awe for the HR regn Grand Vitara....no other car even made me want to buy it as much as the Grand Vitara. It was truly grand. I had this conversation with you about this car and within a while this was sold (for all I know this should be at some automotive showroom that sells seconds cars in Indiranagar). Like I earlier said my eyes are still on the search for a used Vitara and I would gladly buy it since an SUV would suit me best. As of now I might give my M800 5 gear to my wife as the first "mechanical wonder" gift. I might be picking up a used Honda City Vtec 2007 model (sadly not the VTEC OHC as we fondly call it on tbhp) since its one of my dad's good friends car and I might get it at a special price. I have really slogged it out all these years working hard to buy myself a home and then got married/ had a baby and all that. The car thing has waited really long. My dream of owning a Merc SUVas my first car didn't really happen and I had to settle down for the M800 due to safety reasons and I didn't want to go for shoots carrying all my equipment on a bike. My friends bought cars the moment they got their first salary and I've waited 11 long years to splurge on a car and so I thought this would be the right time to give in to this temptation.

I did see the pics of your beauty, the GV and loved the pictures. You have indeed shot them well. It looks like a cheetah dodging its prey behind the dry Masai grasslands. And there are some great shots of your Baleno shot by Rudra Sen. He's shot some great shots too.

The journey through joining tbhp was a tough one with all the essay writing etc but its been totally worth it. And if you even plan to sell your beauty the GV, please keep it for me but am sure that's not gonna happen int he near future!

I've had many friends in real life who have been a part of this forum. They include Chethan a very good friend who I worked with for 7 years at HP, he owned a OHC Vtec and recently lost his life in an accident/ Amolpol from wildzests and some others.

Regards
madmanscam is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th July 2014, 15:27   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
I find this bit curious. As a mechanical engineer, didn't you already know about torque and BHP?
And I already know the curiosity of Samurai for Torque and Power.

Well @madmanscam

If you have not already gone through this thread I post the link again for Torque and Power understanding.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-te...tribution.html
amit_purohit20 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2014, 08:22   #9
Team-BHP Support

Fashion photographer! Interesting!! Surely like to see your work in http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...ge-thread.html

Welcome to TBHP. Trust me, there's never a dull moment here.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks