Team-BHP > Introduce yourself

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 14th July 2014, 22:03   #1
BHPian

Howdy BHPians, Namaskaar!!

Hey guys! This is my first post on Team BHP. I am really looking forward to interacting with fellow enthusiasts and hope to be an active member of the forum for many years to come.

So a bit about myself - My name is Kedar and I am basically from Aurangabad, Maharashtra (born and brought up). But right now I am settled in Pune because of my job. I am software professional and have just completed 5 years.

I was introduced to road tripping at a very early age. I remember going to Ellora caves, Daulatabaad, and Khultabad (spots nearby Aurangabad) with my parents, on a Kinetic Honda. I used to stand in the front, hold onto the handle and feel as if I am riding the Honda myself. That motoring bug stuck somewhere deep inside my head and has been growing!

The Two wheelers

Because I was such a nutcase for anything on wheels, my grandfather got me a Bajaj sunny even before I turned 18. I later graduated to TVS scooty, which was actually supposed to be for my younger brother. I was on an HH splendour during junior college and upgraded to the first version of the digital Bajaj Pulsar during my engineering days. Going to school, college, classes was just an excuse to go for a ride on my pride possession so I rarely missed classes.

The cars: starting with a Fiat

My Grandfather was a civil surgeon and owned a Fiat from the early batches that were introduced in India. Don’t remember much about that car, except that its battery was always discharged, and was connected to a plug point for recharging all the time. I have a picture of me, all of one year into this world, sitting on the bonnet of this Fiat (and I look happy!)

Maruti 800 (2nd generation, the one with square headlights)

Later my dad upgraded to a Maruti 800. Whenever there were five adults in the Maruti, my seat used to be on top of the handbrake, on a makeshift seat of pillow and blankets (Safety was never really on anyone's mind back then). I probably concentrated on the road as hard as my father did, who would be in the driver’s seat. We used to talk about whether we can overtake a truck (the roads were single lane back then and overtaking required meticulous planning and calculations).
Back in those days, my dad used to take me on a nearby ground, and allowed me to steer the car while he operated the clutch and accelerator. I was fascinated by the steering wheel of a car and used to play with it a lot when I was young.

Tata Indica DLE

I was on the driver’s seat the moment I could press the clutch fully. We had the Tata Indica back then. This was from the very first batch. My father booked the car and got selected in the lottery that Tata conducted. It took nearly a year for that car to arrive though. But ours was the second Indica in Aurangabad. I still didn’t have a driver’s license, so my driving was limited to empty grounds and reversing, parking the car in our driveway. I got my driver’s license on this very Indica. But by then, it was more than 5 years old, and my father was scared of the diesel maintenance which might start rearing its ugly head (people’s perception of a diesel was still very bad back then). So he shifted to a Santro.

Hyundai Santro Xing

When my father booked the Tata, he had finalized the first generation Santro. But this was dropped when we got selected in the Indica lottery. So finally after 5 and a half years, when the Xing was just launched in the market , we sold the Indica and bought a Santro. By this time I was a regular driver, with license to drive! and whenever I was in the car, I would be on the driver’s seat. Dad was only too happy to sit in the passenger seat!

Honda City Vtec (4th Generation, the one after the dolphin)

Santro was sold rather quickly, in a year and 2 or 3 months. It only had 12000 KM on the odo. My father felt the car was underpowered and needed something powerful for the highway. The City was just upgraded, and was again available with a 100 BHP Vtec motor. Looking at the cult status of the first 2 generation of VTecs, we went for the top end Honda City Vtec (chrome tipped exhaust and all). This was a great car to drive on the highway, which were getting better compared to what they were earlier. Very comfortable seats, butter smooth engine that loved to rev, fuel efficient at the same time. The only grouse I had with the car was the steering wheel, which was akin to a video game console wheel. It was very light and lacked feel and felt disconnected from the road.

My very first car – The Ford Figo diesel ZXi

It was my dream to buy a car from my first salary. Of course, that would have been impossible, given that I didn’t graduate from IIM or IIT. But I had a full-fledged plan of saving enough to buy my first car as soon as possible. As my parents were not dependent on my salary, and I didn’t have a Girlfriend, I managed to save considerable amount of money very quickly. The moment I had enough, I emptied by bank account, took a small loan and got my very first car, a Ford Figo. I was always a fan of the Ford cars and had heard that they are great to drive. True to its reputation, the Figo had one of the best steering wheel this side of a BMW, it handled amazingly well, was extremely stable on the highway and had a decent ride quality. The diesel had a very small turbo lag and was sufficiently powerful. I clocked 45000 KM in three years before selling it (the reason is a completely different story, probably for some other time)

Then there was a lull of 6 months, when I used my father’s car (who had upgraded to a VW Vento TDi highline) or my brother’s Honda Brio.

My second car, the Maruti Suzuki Ertiga VDi

I am now a proud owner of a Maruti Suzuki Ertiga VDi, Granite Gray. I got the delivery on 27th June 2014. While researching for the car, I went through almost all of the ownership threads on team BHP that really helped me decide on the car. It also inspired me to join the gang and share my views, ownership experience general enthusiasm for all things automobiles. An extensive ownership review coming up shortly!
KedarB is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 14th July 2014, 22:54   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Howdy BHPians, Namaskaar!!

Hello Kedar, Warm welcome to Team-Bhp. A very detailed write-up about your cars and bikes.

So, We can expect some highly detailed ownership reviews of your rides.

Great to have you on-board. Have a great time here.

Drive Safe!

Thanks.
ad3952n is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2014, 23:28   #3
BHPian

Hi Kedar,

Welcome to Team BHP Family. That's a very Loooooong Intro buddy and in detail too.

Hope you will have a good time here. As ad3952n said, hope we will have some detailed ownership reviews from your side.
JoseVijay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2014, 07:42   #4
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by KedarB View Post
So a bit about myself - My name is Kedar and I am basically from Aurangabad, Maharashtra (born and brought up). But right now I am settled in Pune because of my job. I am software professional and have just completed 5 years.
Now here is a demand from our side! Please show us some snaps of the Lonar Lake which I am sure you must have visited.

Welcome again.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2014, 09:17   #5
Team-BHP Support

Welcome, looks like your cars are growing faster than your family!
ajmat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th July 2014, 10:16   #6
BHPian

Dear kedar

Welcome to the family of Motor vehicle enthusiasts!

"As my parents were not dependent on my salary, and I didn’t have a Girlfriend, I managed to save considerable amount of money very quickly". This is very true but both Cars and Girlfriends needed to be taken care of properly for a peaceful life! (Not of theirs but that of yours). If you still don't have a Girlfriend now even after 5 years in service, you may consider switching over to a new BMW!

Welcome again to the family!
Gokrish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2014, 09:33   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ad3952n View Post
Hello Kedar, Warm welcome to Team-Bhp. A very detailed write-up about your cars and bikes.

So, We can expect some highly detailed ownership reviews of your rides.

Great to have you on-board. Have a great time here.

Drive Safe!

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoseVijay View Post
Hi Kedar,

Welcome to Team BHP Family. That's a very Loooooong Intro buddy and in detail too.

Hope you will have a good time here. As ad3952n said, hope we will have some detailed ownership reviews from your side.
Thanks for the warm welcome! Somewhere I was worried that its getting too long, but I thought what the hell! This is my first post, if people get bored, I'll trim it down next time
Old 16th July 2014, 09:53   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Welcome, looks like your cars are growing faster than your family!
Honestly, most of them belonged to my father, and the Fiat was my Grandfather's. I have very vivid memories of all the cars we have had in our family and I felt like they were mine, so I wrote about them all.

Actually, Figo was my first car, and I recently upgraded to an Ertiga a month ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gokrish View Post
Dear kedar

Welcome to the family of Motor vehicle enthusiasts!

"As my parents were not dependent on my salary, and I didn’t have a Girlfriend, I managed to save considerable amount of money very quickly". This is very true but both Cars and Girlfriends needed to be taken care of properly for a peaceful life! (Not of theirs but that of yours). If you still don't have a Girlfriend now even after 5 years in service, you may consider switching over to a new BMW!

Welcome again to the family!
Thanks for the welcome Gokrish! Well I got married the same year I bought the Figo, so now I have a wife! And we became proud parents of a baby boy a month and a half ago, which was a motivation for an Ertiga kinda vehicle. So I don't see a BMW anytime in the near future , but I don't want to rule out the possibility!

Right now its the Ertiga! We did 45000 KM on the Figo, but we plan on doing at least a lakh on Ertiga before thinking of changing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Now here is a demand from our side! Please show us some snaps of the Lonar Lake which I am sure you must have visited.

Welcome again.
Yes I did visit the Lonar lake, but that was when I was very young. So I accept your demand, and thanks for the idea. My wife couldn't travel during pregnancy and the kid is too young right now, but she is already craving for a road trip. It's very close to my home town and will be a great spot for a day out with my family and can be our son's first road trip!

Pictures of Lonar Lake, in all its monsoon glory coming your way very soon!

Again, thanks everyone for the warm welcome!
KedarB is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2014, 11:12   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KedarB View Post
Thanks for the warm welcome! Somewhere I was worried that its getting too long, but I thought what the hell! This is my first post, if people get bored, I'll trim it down next time
Naah! It wasn't boring at all, infact it was kinda interesting. Enjoyed reading your intro. You wrote your heart out.
The Kinetic Honda part brought back some old memories. There was a different kind of fun in it, right?
Welcome to the family Kedar, have a great time and happy motoring!
Closed Thread

Most Viewed