Team-BHP > Introduce yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 24th August 2014, 10:16   #1
BHPian

Namaste

Hello, Namaste, salutations to all from a newbie on this forum,

I am absolutely delighted to be part of this group and share my own little stories behind the wheels as well as learn from you folks on how to drive safely yet enjoy the drive.

Though I am a newbie on the forum, I am old enough in real life to remember the Indian car scene in the pre-liberalization days when possessing a Maruti Suzuki 800 was a matter of pride, a contessa was considered a "limousine" to every other car and the good old Amby was the symbol of power!

I learned driving on my dad's Premier President - a rickety car which always had the justification "par iska Engine accha hain" - I remember once while driving from Jabalpur to Nagpur, we had managed to get an incredible 16km per litre mileage! While the car served us well, my dad increasingly lost interest in it and we had to eventually scrap it around 1999. I had just started working then and buying a car was out of question '- besides I was working in Mumbai so never felt the need of having a personal vehicle.

In 2003, I moved to Pune and then I was left with no option - I bought my first bike - a Pulsar 150 DTSi and absolutely loved zooming around the city on it. Around 2004, I went to the UK and suddenly re-discovered my by now dormant interest in cars, thanks to my room mate. We bought a well maintained second (or possibly third) hand Toyota Carina for ourselves. My room mate was my driving instructor and taught me all the rules, especially those around the round abouts . I drove quite a bit in the UK and learned the art of driving fast (on some routes where I new where the speed cameras were, I had averaged 75mph ) yet driving safely. I found out that in the UK people drive pretty fast but very skill fully and safely. Oh, and I also mastered the art of reverse parallel parking, a must for city driving in the UK!

I cam back in 2005 and immediately bought a Swift Zxi - and ever since then, I have been learning to drive in India. That's it from my end for the introduction, I will share my experience on Indian roads in the coming months.

Last edited by moralfibre : 24th August 2014 at 17:19. Reason: Only two smileys permitted per post please.
saumitra_joshi is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 24th August 2014, 13:12   #2
BANNED

Re: Namaste

Quote:
Originally Posted by saumitra_joshi View Post
I cam back in 2005 and immediately bought a Swift Zxi - and ever since then, I have been learning to drive in India. That's it from my end for the introduction, I will share my experience on Indian roads in the coming months.
Namaste,

Welcome on-board the community and one advice, do read the rules before proceeding.

Nice simple intro there. Shall be waiting to know your Indian driving experiences.

Note: Rules say not more than 2 smiley's and you have used 3. Be careful and take care.

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th August 2014, 13:36   #3
BHPian

Namaste Joshi Saheb!

Another BHPian from Pune. Welcome to the forum and please go through the rules section so that you drive safely in Team-Bhp!

Would be nice to read your experiences, travelogues and about the good old times.

Regards,
Amit
amit_purohit20 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2014, 18:18   #4
BHPian

Quote:

In 2003, I moved to Pune and then I was left with no option - I bought my first bike - a Pulsar 150 DTSi and absolutely loved zooming around the city on it.

Welcome Sir ! Good to see one more TBHPian form Pune.
Thar4x4 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2014, 22:23   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Joshi ji, Welcome to the forum. Safe driving is not too much fuss if one has the right perception of safety of fellow motorists and self on the road. Simple age old rules like following speed limit, lane driving, wearing seat belts and non usage of mobiles are some common practices that lead to safe driving. And to top it all, order tbhp stickers and place "I Drive Safe" on your car.

Like you I also learnt my driving on Premier Padmini and mind you it actually had a great engine. At the time of selling in 2006 October, my car use to give 15 km/L and was a really sturdy car which remained with us for 15 years.

Do share your experiences and details about your car soon. Have a pleasant stay. Nice to have you!

Take good care!

AD
ad3952n is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2014, 07:16   #6
BHPian

Thank you sirs for the warm welcome and apologies for having more than two smileys - will remember the rule now!

AD sir, I used to like my dad's Premier a lot - I earned my spurs on that. However, my dad did not maintain it well enough, and was quite rickety although a pleasure to drive. However, due to bad maintenance, I had my share of unpleasant moments - like once I was driving from Marine Drive to Colaba and the clutch plates gave away... I could barely drive it back home at what ever speeds I could manage, much to the amusement of everybody else on the roads. I do have extremely pleasant memories of the car though: My dad drove it all the way from Ranchi to Mumbai via Jabalpur/Nagpur - and I accompanied him on the Jabalpur Mumbai stretch - this was in 1990 when I was a school boy - unfortunately I did not have a camera in those days. I will share more stories and whatever pictures I have of the old car as well as my Swift in the coming days.

regards,

Saumitra
saumitra_joshi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2014, 23:19   #7
BHPian

Hello saumitra sir. We met near Maharashtra bank chowk. I was on my black access. Remember? Welcome to the group.
vaibhav amlekar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2014, 00:44   #8
Senior - BHPian

Nice to see a Punekar join the forum. Hope to see you around in some team bhp meet.
Please elaborate on driving fast and safe, would love to learn few tips.

Drive Safe !!
F150 is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks