Team-BHP > Introduce yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 10th December 2014, 00:47   #1

Aloha from Doha!

Hello mateys, this is Jasim from Qatar, hailing from Kerala. I still remember the very first time I happened to check T-BHP out and that was regarding the aftermarket air filters for motorbikes. Right from the scratch, everything was explained in detail in here that, not to butter up, I couldn't find such a comprehensive article anywhere else on and off the W3.
I'm really thankful to the fantastic mods and wayward expert members here for the tonnes of articles I already benefitted from and I'm pretty sure I'm gonna be bankrupt for the same and many yet to come.

I've been into many sorts of vBulletin forums about anything to everything. But here in T-BHP it's all a different binge the members enjoy everyday. And I'm super-delighted to be part of the great community.

So the punchline is:

"If internet is a village, T-BHP is going to be my second home"

Love you wonderful people!! Wroom wrooom!!!!
roaddler is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 10th December 2014, 09:53   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Aloha from Doha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by roaddler View Post
Hello mateys, this is Jasim from Qatar, hailing from Kerala.

So the punchline is:

"If internet is a village, T-BHP is going to be my second home"

Love you wonderful people!! Wroom wrooom!!!!
Welcome to the Forum!!

Hope to know the automobile scenario from you in Qatar!!

Incidentally, my brother is also working in Doha.
arnabchak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2014, 12:19   #3
BHPian

Hi roaddler,

Welcome to Team-BHP.

Cheers,
embee
embee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2014, 14:09   #4

Thank you for the welcome.

It's been just one year since I shifted to this country. And I'm getting used to being a part of the scores of young expats here.

Since the region holds the major share of oil & gas and it switches between being an oven and a chiller every year, a vehicle is a must for everyone to hang out. Though there are means of public transport, sometimes even spending a few minutes in the waiting shed will be miserable. Add to it, the country tops the list in terms of per capita income in the world and the obvious result is roads flooded with Land Cruisers and Patrols. Even the LX570 makes it to the top 10 list of most sold vehicles out here. I'm told that though it is a real active market for super car manufacturers, most of the units sold here do their miles in the west.

Since the country is undergoing a major revamp and development in infrastructure and road network due to the FIFA World Cup the country will possibly host in 2022, it's really terrible being in the traffic during the rush hours.

Not to mention, 99% of the cars are having auto transmission including the AMT trim which is doing the rounds now back in India. Diesel variants are hardly seen among cars.

Sand dunes spread along some of the outskirts of the country are enticing for anyone who ventures into there; especially the Inland sea. And no wonder, it's weekly activity for many people, both countrymen and expats, to make it to the dunes. Yeah it's like a serene pilgrimage. The same time, these are the same places especially the Empty Quarter between Qatar and Saudi Arabia which have claimed many lives who were lost in the desert without food and fuel.
roaddler is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th December 2014, 15:23   #5
BHPian

Welcome :-) .

So what car /bike would you prefer to move around in Doha?
john doe is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2014, 16:51   #6

I think SUVs will work well all over Doha as there are ridiculously many number of speed breakers here except the main ring roads and expressways. Off the few vehicles I drove around ( which, of course I didn't own) I loved LC ( No offense to Patrol fans. I didn't get a chance to drive one yet.) for day to day drive, FJ Cruiser for off-roading ( though I were into the dunes before, I was not the one in the driving seat) and BMW 335i coupe hard-top convertible for highway cruising.

Coming to bikes, I drove only a CBR600RR till date while there are many Busa's with longer swing arms ruling the roads. So I've no choices on that.

Afterall, I'm just a toddler on the roads here. Hehe!
roaddler is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th December 2014, 15:10   #7
BHPian

Welcome to t-bhp, roaddler. Yeah, since I'm from Kerala, it should be pretty obvious that I'd have relatives in the GCC, Qatar included. Doha's relatively a small place, isn't it? Never been there myself, UAE and KSA being the closest I ever got.

Anyways, it'll be good to have another Gulf malayalee on board. The more the merrier, I say.
coloneljasi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2014, 16:19   #8
BANNED

I am a bit confused - ALOHA and DOHA sounds very interesting. I do not understand how this greeting is associated with Doha!
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2014, 06:04   #9

Thanks pal coloneljasi. Absolutely right! On a continuous note, There has been a massive emigration to Qatar from my neighborhood. I even have heard someone saying the Indian embassy in Qatar should be renamed as Kerala embassy. Another occasion I laughed my lungs out was when a lady from Houston working in Qatar, while in an elevator straight away asked me am I from Kerala ( not India!).

Doha is just the size of Calicut, they say, and can be explored in a single day. But still, I just love this place as it feeds thousands of our households back in India.
roaddler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2014, 06:20   #10

Haha sg Sir, I fear I'd go a bit defensive but it's just for the rhyming purpose I chose that word as everybody likes to rhyme right from their KG days.
Old 23rd December 2014, 12:35   #11
BHPian

Welcome Welcome!

I was going through one of the many TBhp meet threads; and then I started searching for TBhp members who were in Doha. That is when I stumbled up on your thread.

I too have recently moved to DOH. The wind is blowing and the weather is cool; winter in the desert isn't bad after all.
Spinnerr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th December 2014, 21:37   #12

Thanks mate Spinnerr!

Good to know a fellow BHPian is around; just a hi5 away. Even i was wondering how many folks would be here in the forum from Doha. Though I didn't do a specific search for that purpose, I never have come across/noticed one from the threads I have been glancing through.

And yea, I hardly find any reason not to fall in love with the weather and the place; save for the chilling wind :-) After all, Lawrence of Arabia was a damn cool guy, right? He shouldn't be wrong, I think.
Old 25th December 2014, 09:10   #13
BHPian

hi Roaddler....congrats for you new assignment there. Was there quita a longtime ago. Spendt my childhood there and than worked 5 years also.Lovely place and that where i learnt how to drive. Would take the Nissan Patrol or the Audi Quattro coupe of my Uncle to the beach near the Al-wakra.

Also use to go to the dunes at mesaide near the inland sea there and off roading near Dukhan. You just brought back the good old memories .

Also remebred had hard time trying to do donuts with an Audi quattro Coupe and easily with a Nissan Patrol while in 2WD mode on the beach at Al-Wakra during the low tide.
Old 3rd January 2015, 14:26   #14

Thanks mate Gsb350. Happy to know that you lived it out here to the fullest. Needless to say, the doughnut scars on the roads every Friday morning will make me remember your post.

Did you make any road trips to beyond the country? Of course, i didn't mean Dubai or Saudi Arabia as it is too simple a long drive. I really want to make it to Egypt or somewhere near. Any clues how it would be?
Old 3rd January 2015, 21:21   #15

Hello roadller! Not surprised to find a keralite abroad (I am a keralite myself). Keep up the spirit and do keep us updated.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks