Team-BHP - Never say never
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Introduce yourself (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/introduce-yourself/)
-   -   Never say never (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/introduce-yourself/165547-never-say-never.html)

Hi everyone @ Team-BHP. Thank you mods for accepting my membership on this wonderful forum. Well, they say never say never and voila, I am a member now since 17th June 15.

A brief about me:
Name: Amit Satpathy

Where I am from: Bhubaneswar, Orissa (The temple city of India)

What I do: IT consultant with 10.5 years of experience in product development, testing, product consulting.

How did I hear about Team-BHP: Came to know about Team-BHP searching over google for car reviews.

My Current Interests: Understanding paint/dent processes on a car. Browsing through Civic forums and understanding the do it yourself stuff. Also I am exploring on noise deadening for the cars.
Projectors and hid headlight fitments (I have HID's on my car sans the projectors) and interior enrichment/restoration of the car is another interest area.

Automotive's aside, I have keen interest in photography, closely follow F1 season every year, I am a avid/semi pro badminton player and currently have picked up interest in complex financial instruments e.g. CDO/Synthetic CDO's (Collateralized Debt Obligation).

Cars I have previously owned, currently own or wish to own:
I have a 2007 Model Honda Civic S which was bought on 1st Jan 2013, that being my 1st car ( I learnt to drive after I bought this car) and I wish to buy a Mercedes A Class in the next 2-3 years.

My Team-BHP Membership (Never say never):
I tried, I re...re-tried, and after 2 and half years and on my 5th attempt finally I am a member.

1st attempt: 6th Dec 12 – Then I was planning to get a car, had finalised on getting a pre-owned Honda Civic, my first car, all knowledge on the car, courtesy Team-BHP.

2nd attempt: 2nd Jun 13 – Failed – I was wondering what did I do wrong.

3rd attempt: 5th Sep 13 – Failed – Did some re-search and had re-applied, but failure again.

4th attempt: 12th Sep 13 – Failed – This time around I was not able to figure out why. I was more than determined to make it count the next time, it was like a “do and do and don't die” situation for me (It's the way I put a do or die situation.)

Half hearted/false attempts: I saved all the entries for the Why Team-BHP?, Which Policy?, Which Indian Car and read and re-read those and took at least 3-4 attempts between Oct 14 till recently as April 15 to register only to cancel the attempt at the final stage, re-viewing my response to the questions and making modifications to it time and again.
5th attempt: 10th Jun 15 - 17th Jun – Membership approved. Wooohooo. :Cheering: Thank you again Mods. It is a great achievement getting into Team-BHP and I am already feeling the responsibility of being a member of this wonderful forum.

My Learnings:
The first thing I learned after I bought the car in 2013 was how to drive, yes I had never felt or had the desire to drive earlier.

By this time I have been a car owner of 2 and half years, with average of 1 accident in my car per year and 2 service visits.

1st accident (May 13): Front bumper torn while taking a u turn courtesy, biker with phone slotted in ear inside helmet. Learnings: Stop, Look forward and look backwards and look forward again before taking a u turn.

2nd accident (Mar 14): Rear bumper torn on highway, courtesy auto-rickshaw stopped abruptly on road and I stopped behind, bike rams from behind, lucky me, its the rear bumper torn and no other damages.
Learning: Always maintain a safe distance or be on different lanes to auto-rickshaw's as they are the most unpredictable drivers and can stop abruptly anywhere.

3rd accident (May 15): Rear bumper torn and boot lid dented, courtesy: self. I was backing up in a narrow lane undergoing drainage work and looking to the right mirror, I missed a obvious electric pole in the rear. :Frustrati Still cursing myself for this, though I have had it fixed. Learning: Take a good look at the things behind on all the sides before reversing or else, find a crossing in front somewhere where you can reverse easily.

Now I am determined to get through without any accidents in 2016. Keeping my fingers crossed for the same.

In closing I would like to say owing a car has been a great learning experience and I am very happy with it. I have learnt a few other things other than my experience with the accidents the hard way but that is how we learn things and learning never stops.

My ownership experience including my bike to car story coming soon.

Welcome to the community Amit :)

Feels good to see someone from the same city, with same industry and with same craze about automobiles. :thumbs up

Hope you have a good time here and do share your street and travel experiences, vehicle ownership reports and anything else that comes to your mind.

Welcome again.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 (Post 3743121)
Welcome to the community Amit :)

Feels good to see someone from the same city, with same industry and with same craze about automobiles. :thumbs up

Hope you have a good time here and do share your street and travel experiences, vehicle ownership reports and anything else that comes to your mind.

Welcome again.

Thank you Soumyajit 9. So we have a lot in common, thats great and yeah I am looking forward to the insider experience here :).

I can't help it, I just get emotionally attached with my rides, I love it that way.

Thanks once again for the welcome and if you are here @ Bhubaneswar we can sync up sometime.

Hey Amit,

Great to have you with us. Welcome :).

Quote:

Originally Posted by amitsatpathy (Post 3742734)
I have a 2007 Model Honda Civic S which was bought on 1st Jan 2013, that being my 1st car ( I learnt to drive after I bought this car) and I wish to buy a Mercedes A Class in the next 2-3 years.

Ah, a pre-worshipped Civic. Can't go wrong with one. Hope she is serving you well. My Civic's now in its 8th year and I still don't feel like selling her. What a nice & tight driving package.

Hope you plan to continue with the pre-worshipped route for your A-Class. In another 2 - 3 years, there will be lots of options in the market. Can also consider rides like the Cooper S :thumbs up. The used market is a dream for us enthusiasts.

Drive safe!

Quote:

Originally Posted by amitsatpathy (Post 3743175)
Thank you Soumyajit 9. So we have a lot in common, thats great and yeah I am looking forward to the insider experience here :).

I can't help it, I just get emotionally attached with my rides, I love it that way.

Thanks once again for the welcome and if you are here @ Bhubaneswar we can sync up sometime.

I am working out of Bangalore, and make a home trip every 6 months. Will PM you when I am home :)

Thank you for the Welcome GTO

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTO (Post 3743298)
Ah, a pre-worshipped Civic. Can't go wrong with one. Hope she is serving you well. My Civic's now in its 8th year and I still don't feel like selling her. What a nice & tight driving package.

Hope you plan to continue with the pre-worshipped route for your A-Class. In another 2 - 3 years, there will be lots of options in the market. Can also consider rides like the Cooper S :thumbs up. The used market is a dream for us enthusiasts.

Drive safe!

The Civic is my partner, it has never let me down and yeah mine too is in its 8th year and will hold on to it for 1.5 Lakh Km atleast, right no it has only run 70K.

And yeah I will continue on the pre-worshipped route for the A-Class or the Cooper S, Team-BHP immensly inspired/helped me all the way with my 1st car purchase, definitely it will help me in my second venture agree:.

When you mentioned the Cooper S, what flashed in my mind immediately is the cars used in The Italian Job. Hope the used market has a lot of examples of these 2 cars in the next 2-3 years.

Quote:

Originally Posted by amitsatpathy (Post 3742734)
Hi everyone @ Team-BHP. Thank you mods for accepting my membership on this wonderful forum. Well, they say never say never and voila, I am a member now since 17th June 15.

Hello Amit,

Welcome to the TBHP family. I'm glad to see another member from Bhubaneswar. Though I am from Sambalpur, I have been living here since the last 8 years. Is your Civic silver in colour, as I think have seen one with LTD stickers near Infocity.
The Civic is a keeper. Just take care of its basic maintenance and she will serve you faithfully. Drive safe.

Some of us are planning to meet and then plan a short/long drive very soon. Please do join us if interested. Check out the Bhubaneswar meet thread.

Warm regards,
Ashis Satpathy
94380-47007

Quote:

Originally Posted by ashis89 (Post 3744826)
Hello Amit,

Welcome to the TBHP family. I'm glad to see another member from Bhubaneswar. Though I am from Sambalpur, I have been living here since the last 8 years. Is your Civic silver in colour, as I think have seen one with LTD stickers near Infocity.
The Civic is a keeper. Just take care of its basic maintenance and she will serve you faithfully. Drive safe.

Some of us are planning to meet and then plan a short/long drive very soon. Please do join us if interested. Check out the Bhubaneswar meet thread.

Warm regards,
Ashis Satpathy
94380-47007

Hey Ashis,

Thanks for the welcome, glad to know you are @Bhubaneswar. And yes my Civic is silver in color and have stickers on it, but not the LTD one's, so that might be someone else's.

You are right, the Civic is a keeper. I will hold on to it for quite some time to come :).

Team-BHP Meet would be cool, and yeah I am ready to join in, will check the Bhubaneswar thread and post there.