Team-BHP > Introduce yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 19th September 2015, 01:25   #1

My introduction

Hello there. My name is Jack and I was pretty stoked when I got the approval email for being part of this prestigious forum. I'm going to go right ahead and share a brief introduction about myself:-

I am 24 years old, originally from Mumbai but currently based in Los Angeles, working in Film Production. Started driving at the age of 14 and I've always found this forum super helpful for any motoring questions I've had so I finally decided it was time to join in on the action and sign myself up. More so, I can't emphasize enough how glad I am to be approved as a member. I'm basically researching new cars at the moment since I plan to get rid of my 2006 Sonata Gold when I get back to India next month.

Here's a list of cars I've owned in the past:-

Mumbai

1. 2002 Honda Accord 2.3 VTI (2002-2005)
2. 2003 Opel Astra Club 1.6L (2003-2006)
3. 2005 Ford Ikon 1.3 Flair (2005-2011)
4. 2005 Hyundai Sonata GOLD 2.0 (2005-Present)

Los Angeles

1. 2011 Ford Mustang V6 (2012-Present)

Now that I've done the formal introduction thing, I'd like to pose a quick question. Like I said, I've been researching new D segment sedans to buy when I'm back in Mumbai next month. I'm currently torn between The Toyota Corolla, VW Jetta & Hyundai Elantra. I'd like some feedback on which one is the best bank for my buck, in your opinion. I'm looking for a good combination of sophistication and pep.

Also, side note: I'm really impressed with the Hyundai Creta as well. So much so that I might consider buying my first SUV. Are there any members who currently own The Creta? Any feedback is welcome.

Keep revving, folks!
jack91 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th September 2015, 07:08   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: My introduction

Congratulations and welcome to the club. On your D segment question, the first car that comes to mind when you say sophistication and pep is the Skoda Octavia.

The Creta is a good car but in a different segment. Read up the official review and ownership reports by Ravenavi, Naveen Raju and BNM. Should give you all the info you need.

All the best.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2015, 07:15   #3
BHPian

Welcome aboard and very interesting to read that you work in Film Industry. Hope you enjoy your stay here.

Regarding your query, please post it in appropriate forum of Team BHP.

Best to You.
Wildy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2015, 07:52   #4
BHPian

Congratulations and welcome on board, jack91!

Among the three, I'd suggest for the Altis, followed by the Jetta. The Altis has the smallest engine and is least powerful of the lot, and it might not be fun to drive. However its advantage on reliability front is unmatched. Cost of maintenance for a 6 figure mileage is lower than all the immediate competition.

A close family friend owns a first in India generation 1.9 TDI Jetta. The owner is happy after using it for 6 years / 70000 kilometers. However he has a manual transmission variant. I have driven it for few times. It's fast, handles well and is built like a tank. If you go for Jetta, go for the manual transmission over the DSG. The regular cost of maintenance will be more than a Toyota.

On a side note, why not think of a Renault Fluence?
Swapnil4585 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2015, 16:17   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: My introduction

Welcome!

Mod Note: Lets not turn this into a 'What Car' thread please. We have other dedicated discussions for that.
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th September 2015, 18:42   #6
Team-BHP Support

Welcome aboard Jack91!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack91 View Post
Are there any members who currently own The Creta? Any feedback is welcome.
Do get familiar with the search / title search / advanced search functions.

For now, knock yourself out:

Cheers,
R
Rehaan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2015, 21:26   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildy View Post
Welcome aboard and very interesting to read that you work in Film Industry. Hope you enjoy your stay here.

Regarding your query, please post it in appropriate forum of Team BHP.

Best to You.
Thank you. Yes, I realize now that I should post this on the "what car" forum. Rookie mistake. Appreciate your thoughts though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Congratulations and welcome to the club. On your D segment question, the first car that comes to mind when you say sophistication and pep is the Skoda Octavia.

The Creta is a good car but in a different segment. Read up the official review and ownership reports by Ravenavi, Naveen Raju and BNM. Should give you all the info you need.

All the best.
Thank you! Yes, I have to admit that Skoda Octavia really appealed to me. However, it's about 2-3L higher variant to variant when compared with the options I mention. I guess if I really stretch my budget, I could aim for it. Not sure about it's VFM though. Either way, I'm going to move this query to the "What Car" thread. Glad I've gotten these many responses. Appreciate it.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 19th September 2015 at 22:08. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Please use the multi-quote option (QUOTE +) to quote and respond to multiple posts.
Old 19th September 2015, 22:13   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Welcome!

Mod Note: Lets not turn this into a 'What Car' thread please. We have other dedicated discussions for that.
Yes, realize that now. Moving this query over to that thread. Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Welcome aboard Jack91!

Do get familiar with the search / title search / advanced search functions.

For now, knock yourself out:

Cheers,
R
Thanks a ton, Rehaan. I read your post and was very amused by all the in-depth info it provided on the recent Compact SUV boom in the country. Since I wasn't around in India when it took place, the details you provide are invaluable. Congratulations on your Hyundai Creata AKA Lazarus. May you have many more smiles and miles with it.

More so, I'm moving this query over to the "What Car" forum. Thank you once again, buddy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swapnil4585 View Post
Congratulations and welcome on board, jack91!

Among the three, I'd suggest for the Altis, followed by the Jetta. The Altis has the smallest engine and is least powerful of the lot, and it might not be fun to drive. However its advantage on reliability front is unmatched. Cost of maintenance for a 6 figure mileage is lower than all the immediate competition.

A close family friend owns a first in India generation 1.9 TDI Jetta. The owner is happy after using it for 6 years / 70000 kilometers. However he has a manual transmission variant. I have driven it for few times. It's fast, handles well and is built like a tank. If you go for Jetta, go for the manual transmission over the DSG. The regular cost of maintenance will be more than a Toyota.

On a side note, why not think of a Renault Fluence?
Thank you for your feedback. I echo your sentiment about the Altis, especially when you consider that it's the better VFM option compared to the rest. The slightly underpowered engine options aside, it certainly delivers on most other aspects demanded from this segment.

The Jetta too is an extremely competent choice I found. German engineering has it's own perks and it's in a league above it's Korean & Japanese rivals in that respect. But as you mentioned, maintenance costs and a slightly higher price tag are it's drawbacks.

Appreciate your feedback and just wanted to say I will be moving this query over to the "What Car" thread. Thanks once again.

Last edited by aah78 : 19th September 2015 at 23:03. Reason: Posts merged. Please use MULTI-QUOTE/QUOTE+. Thanks!
Old 22nd September 2015, 18:05   #9
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack91 View Post
Thanks a ton, Rehaan. I read your post and ... ... ...Congratulations on your Hyundai Creata AKA Lazarus.
I think you're confusing me with RavenAvi
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks