Team-BHP > Introduce yourself

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 31st January 2016, 01:48   #1
BHPian

On the Runway

Hi,

Just a quick one about myself...

1. I am Karthik. Don't see a reason to hide my name. It's just an identity on this planet.

2. I have been around the sun 36 times.

3. A lawyer by profession, I became a petrol-head long before Indian laws would allow one to drive. I do not endorse this. Times were different back then in the deep interiors of a not so progressive and feudalistic state. Its just a fact and nothing else.

4. Learned driving on an abandoned WWII Runway in an old Jeep. What a thrill!

5. Love driving, motorcycling, and astrophotography (photographing the night and deep sky imaging).

6. Have had the privilege of experiencing the following which we have had or still have:

(a) Good ol' Fiat Premier Padmini - 1979-1996
(b) Maruti 800 - 1996-2001
(c) Maruti Zen - 2002-2005
(d) Maruti Esteem - 2005- TIll Date
(e) Maruti Esteem - 2010 - Till Date
(f) Royal Enfield 350 Classic - 2011 Till Date
(g) Royal Enfield 500 Classic - 2011-2014
(h) Bajaj Avenger - 2011 - Till Date
(i) Yezdi - Can't remember - till date
(j) Thunderbird 500 - 2014 - Till Date

This is a great place and I now wonder what took me so long to get here. But as they say, "samay se pehle, aur bhagya se zyada, kisi ko kuch nahi milta hai" :-)
karthik008 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st February 2016, 00:54   #2
BHPian

Re: On the Runway

Karthik
Hi
Good to read your self introduction and loved the ending " samay se pehle...."
Welcome to TeamBHP.
You have owned quite a few cars.... seems no loyalty to a trusted one
You mentioned astrophotography. The best place I have seen the night sky in India is at Drass. Was there a day after Eid in August 2011. There may be something better but as I am totally against carrying a camera I would not know about it.
Regards
faustus77 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st February 2016, 10:32   #3
BHPian

Welcome to TBHP, Karthik008

Nice introduction !

Even I had learned to drive 'at a young age' and like you, I do not encourage / endorse this in any way. Sadly , no WW2 runway for me and an old Amby during my learning curve.

Your list of car and bikes are similar to my own variety !

Do have a great time on the Forum !!
TheStranger is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2016, 21:58   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Welcome Karthik, my drivers license and you share the same age
V.Narayan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2016, 01:20   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by faustus77 View Post
Karthik
Hi
Good to read your self introduction and loved the ending " samay se pehle...."
Welcome to TeamBHP.
You have owned quite a few cars.... seems no loyalty to a trusted one
You mentioned astrophotography. The best place I have seen the night sky in India is at Drass. Was there a day after Eid in August 2011. There may be something better but as I am totally against carrying a camera I would not know about it.
Regards
Thanks faustus. The Ladakh area is probably the best for astro related work. I was last there in June 2011! Some of the best moments are always captured in our minds and not on the camera

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStranger View Post
Welcome to TBHP, Karthik008

Nice introduction !

Even I had learned to drive 'at a young age' and like you, I do not encourage / endorse this in any way. Sadly , no WW2 runway for me and an old Amby during my learning curve.

Your list of car and bikes are similar to my own variety !

Do have a great time on the Forum !!
Thanks TheStranger :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
Welcome Karthik, my drivers license and you share the same age
Thanks V.Narayan Ji Hope to learn a lot from this community and contribute my two cents worth.

And yesterday we added the Ford Figo Aspire 1.5 Petrol DCT AT to the stable. See the pic below. Also attached is Milkyway Panorama which my wife and I shot last year from our place in the hills
Attached Thumbnails
On the Runway-figo-asprice-1.5-dct.jpg  

On the Runway-open-category1-milky-way-arch.jpg  

karthik008 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2016, 07:39   #6
Team-BHP Support

Hi Karthik,

Welcome to Team-BHP.

Congratulations on your new car. The Ford Figo Aspire is certainly my favourite among the sub 4 metre sedans in India at the moment. It is the best looking and nicest to drive.

That's a fairly long list of cars and bikes you have had in your garage over the years. The Zen is probably my favourite among them. Nice to see a Yezdi in there as well.

Astrophtography is an interesting hobby. The shot you have taken is absolutely wonderful.

Trust you have gone through Team-BHP's posting rules.

See you on the forum.
Aditya is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2016, 11:55   #7
Senior - BHPian

Welcome to the forum mate going by your intro I'm sure you have many interesting stories and great shots for us Would love to read an ownership review of your Esteem twins. I had no idea they even sold the Esteem right upto 2010.

Cheers!
IshaanIan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2016, 18:38   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
Hi Karthik,

Welcome to Team-BHP.

Congratulations on your new car. The Ford Figo Aspire is certainly my favourite among the sub 4 metre sedans in India at the moment. It is the best looking and nicest to drive.

That's a fairly long list of cars and bikes you have had in your garage over the years. The Zen is probably my favourite among them. Nice to see a Yezdi in there as well.

Astrophtography is an interesting hobby. The shot you have taken is absolutely wonderful.

Trust you have gone through Team-BHP's posting rules.

See you on the forum.
Thanks for your kind words Aditya.
The Zen was in fact a great car. Was amazing for its time back then. The Yezdi was a gift from my FIL and is in perfect running condition!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
Welcome to the forum mate going by your intro I'm sure you have many interesting stories and great shots for us Would love to read an ownership review of your Esteem twins. I had no idea they even sold the Esteem right upto 2010.

Cheers!
Thanks Ishaan. I in fact love my second esteem, which I purchased in 2010 as a third owner! It is in fact a 2007 model. It had 13k on it when I bought it. It's done around 88k and with God's Grace, is still awesome! Gives around 15 kmpl on the highway and a full tank lasts me long long time. I had in fact just returned from the US after having lived there for couple of years and was disheartened to learn that Esteem's production had been stop to prevent it from cannibalising the SX4. I was in Pune then and looked and looked until I found this baby. What a keeper :-) the other one was a first hand from 2005 and was mostly used by my folks. That is also in a very decent shape!
Closed Thread

Most Viewed