Team-BHP > Introduce yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 11th September 2016, 22:28   #1

Hello Team-BHPians

Hello all,

This is the most authentic, no-nonsense forum for automotive stuff in India. It's great that the content is open read-only to the public, from which I've benefited in the past. Its a privilege to be part of this forum.

I'm 40 years old, residing in Bangalore. Am in the IT industry, lived in Germany for nearly 7 years and visited the US many times.

I started driving 20 years back; have had 2 antique cars (a Hillman Minx and a Standard Super 10 companion), my dad's '72 bullet (4 years older than me, yeah!), Maruti 800, Omni, Alto, Zen, Gypsy and a Mitsubishi Lancer in the family. Except the 800 & Omni, the rest are still there. And almost forgot, the LML Vespa and Hero Puch are also still there. When in Germany, I owned a VW Bora Kombi (high-end Golf stationwagon platform), in which I could cruise at 220+ kmph for more than 30 minutes at a stretch (thanks to the autobahns).

Back in India, my own serious vehicles are the '04 Lancer and the 4WD Gypsy. Well actually, I ride my Giant Rainier mountainbike on a daily basis. Yes, am a bicycle commuter; use the car only when necessary. Bought the bike new in 2004, so yes I've been bicycle commuting for a long while, both abroad and here; and I've a bunch of bicycles but that's a different topic.

Apart from the vehicles at home, I've had the chance to drive many others, either rented or borrowed, and include multiple BMWs, Audis, VWs, Fords, Buick Century, even a Mercedes Benz truck. The most memorable long term rental was a convertible Mustang (had it for 6 weeks).

Coming to my most memorable drive ever; last year I had a chance to take a Tesla model S for a spin from their dealership on Santana Row in SFO Bay Area. That experience and further reading later on left me utterly convinced that the future is electric. (Atleast I like to believe so).

The Tesla has no gears. It has a flat-torque electric motor, that can take you (today's model with Ludicrous mode) from 0-60 in under 3 sec. Even when I drove it, it was Ludicrous enough. The showroom staff who accompanied me guided me to the freeway entry point, and politely said, "Sir, you may now take off". I floored it and maxed out to the speed governed 85mph before actually joining the freeway. He said helpfully, "Sir, that governor won't be there on the model you buy".

OK, left to myself, I'll continue to ramble about my automotive experiences, though, compared to many here, I must admit it's rather shallow. I haven't done any really long drives in India; look forward to it. The stories shared here and the guidance on the forums will go a long way to support me in that.

Thank you for reading.
lancer_gypsy is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 12th September 2016, 15:21   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Hello Team-BHPians

Welcome .

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer_gypsy View Post
This is the most authentic, no-nonsense forum for automotive stuff in India.
Thank you! I hope we can count on you to share your knowledge wherever possible & keep the wheel turning.

Quote:
have had 2 antique cars (a Hillman Minx and a Standard Super 10 companion)
Sold? Got pics?

Quote:
Back in India, my own serious vehicles are the '04 Lancer and the 4WD Gypsy.
Both are icons in their own right. Good choice .

Quote:
even a Mercedes Benz truck
Haha! Please share your experience in the commercial vehicle section. Will be an interesting read for all of us. Only truck I've driven is the humble Tata 407.
Old 14th September 2016, 17:57   #3

Re: Hello Team-BHPians

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Thank you! I hope we can count on you to share your knowledge wherever possible & keep the wheel turning.
Thank you, GTO; yes I'll try my best!

Quote:
Sold? Got pics?
No, these two are still there. Unfortunately no pics on hand at the moment.

Quote:
Both are icons in their own right. Good choice .
Thank you. We've had both for a long time (me and my brother bought them together, right now he's out of the country). I intend to care for and maintain them in the best possible shape.

Quote:
Haha! Please share your experience in the commercial vehicle section. Will be an interesting read for all of us. Only truck I've driven is the humble Tata 407.
It was to help a friend move household goods, since he didn't have a license. Not sure if I can write a comprehensive review of it, but I'll sure try.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks