Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 17th July 2017, 10:36   #1
BHPian

I finally made it to Team-BHP

Hello everyone,

Greetings from a newbie.

Have been a regular visitor to this site for the last 2 years after a friend of mine introduced it to me. The interesting topics and discussions led me to my first attempt to gain entry and I failed, made a second attempt and failed again. By this time I knew that one liners are the cause of my failure so I added some meat to the bones. And yesterday I was informed about my success. So here I am making my first post in T-BHP, introducing myself.

I am a Mechanical Engineer by qualification and a Drilling Engineer by profession. I work in Oman on rotations of 28 days i.e. I work for 28 days and then fly back home for my 28 days paid vacation. Cool job? you might be thinking; Yes, but occasionally it gets too 'heated up'.

So far as my driving is concerned, every month I am shifting from Left Hand Drive to Right Hand Drive (driving in India and driving in Oman). So you can understand the challenges I face; when I should be signalling for a turn, I could be turning on my wipers and vice a versa. (I did the same mistake twice while appearing for a license test in Oman; but the explanations that I gave to the Inspector in support of the mistake, did make him understand my situation driving in two different countries with opposite driving systems). And then occasionally I have my wrong hand looking for the gear lever on the wrong side of the steering wheel. People mistake me for a novice at times although I have been driving for the last 20 years.

So at work I drive a 4x4 Land Cruiser and back home I drive a Honda City - What a contrast!

I have my eyes set on X3. I am at present filling up my purse to be able to visit a BMW dealer - it may take 2 more years to make that much-looked-forward visit. Please pray for my early visit to the dealer.

Thanks and Safe Driving to all.
Sravan Kumar Chettry

Last edited by Rehaan : 17th July 2017 at 23:46. Reason: Welcome aboard! Adding some paragraph spacing to aid readability :)
skchettry is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 18th July 2017, 09:53   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: I finally made it to Team-BHP

Welcome Sravan! Great to have you onboard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skchettry View Post
I work in Oman on rotations of 28 days i.e. I work for 28 days and then fly back home for my 28 days paid vacation. Cool job?
Wow man, that must be something...having a month long holiday. In my entire career, I think the max I've taken off for has been 2 weeks, and even that's an exception rather than the rule. Lucky you.

Quote:
So far as my driving is concerned, every month I am shifting from Left Hand Drive to Right Hand Drive

Quote:
I drive a 4x4 Land Cruiser
Beautiful. Which series? Please share pictures.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2017, 13:16   #3
BHPian

Thanks GTO.
The Land Cruiser that I drive in Oman is company owned. It's a 4L DLX.
Here are a few pictures (of the car and ... the driver too)

I finally made it to Team-BHP-lc-front.png

I finally made it to Team-BHP-lc-rhs.jpg

I finally made it to Team-BHP-self-lc-jpeg.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Welcome Sravan! Great to have you onboard.
Thanks GTO.
In the oilfields, 28/28 or 14/14 are common duty schedules. As far as my LC is concerned, It's company owned 4L DLX. I will post some pictures of the same. I am still learning to get my way around with ways to post, the do's and dont's, uploading pictures and all.

Regards Sravan

Last edited by ampere : 18th July 2017 at 14:33. Reason: Back to back posts merged
skchettry is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th July 2017, 18:05   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Hello everyone,

I am a Mechanical Engineer by qualification and a Drilling Engineer by profession. I work in Oman on rotations of 28 days i.e. I work for 28 days and then fly back home for my 28 days paid vacation. Cool job? you might be thinking; Yes, but occasionally it gets too 'heated up'.

So far as my driving is concerned, every month I am shifting from Left Hand Drive to Right Hand Drive (driving in India and driving in Oman). So you can understand the challenges I face; when I should be signalling for a turn, I could be turning on my wipers and vice a versa. (I did the same mistake twice while appearing for a license test in Oman; but the explanations that I gave to the Inspector in support of the mistake, did make him understand my situation driving in two different countries with opposite driving systems). And then occasionally I have my wrong hand looking for the gear lever on the wrong side of the steering wheel. People mistake me for a novice at times although I have been driving for the last 20 years.
Welcome to TBHP community of petrol heads, Sir. I'm sure you'll be having wonderful experience in any discussion that you will have in this community. I think your job is cool with 28/28. You get enough time to dust off the desert sand and chill the days you spend in India.

In one of the pictures where you are seated in the driver's, is that the big tube behind and over your head, the Roll over protection system.
pranavGTI is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2017, 18:39   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranavGTI View Post
Welcome to TBHP community of petrol heads,
Thank you very much

Quote:
In one of the pictures where you are seated in the driver's, is that the big tube behind and over your head, the Roll over protection system.
Yes, that's the Roll Over Protection Bar. All hired vehicles run by my company for the deserts need to be a 4x4, have Roll Over Protection and equipped with 2 x spare tires.

Regards
Sravan
skchettry is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th July 2017, 15:59   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Hello everyone,

Greetings from a newbie.

Have been a regular visitor to this site for the last 2 years after a friend of mine introduced it to me. The interesting topics and discussions led me to my first attempt to gain entry and I failed, made a second attempt and failed again. By this time I knew that one liners are the cause of my failure so I added some meat to the bones....

Thanks and Safe Driving to all.
Sravan Kumar Chettry
Welcome on board @skchettry.

Nice pictures of the LandCruiser you drive and wish you all the best to have the Beemer (BMW) as early as possible!
SSD2122 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2017, 21:42   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I work in Oman on rotations of 28 days i.e. I work for 28 days and then fly back home for my 28 days paid vacation. Cool job?
Welcome Sravan, I am sending you my resume. My wife would like to see me away half the time
V.Narayan is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 19th July 2017, 22:44   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
Welcome Sravan, I am sending you my resume. My wife would like to see me away half the time
Thanks V.Narayan.

You know the funny thing with me? When I am back home after 28 days of work in the deserts running 55 deg C, I am good at home for a week only. The rest of the 21 days, the looks of my wife is like why is this man here? So a 28/28 days work schedule may work for you for a while only!
skchettry is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th July 2017, 07:35   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
You know the funny thing with me? When I am back home after 28 days of work in the deserts running 55 deg C, I am good at home for a week only. The rest of the 21 days, the looks of my wife is like why is this man here?
Many many years ago I switched from being an employee to my own business. In between there was a preparation period of a few months where I was working out of the dining table at home with my PC and land line phone (mobiles were not in by then). After 2 months of seeing me hanging around in pyjamas the whole day my better half put her foot down and said, "this is my territory ie the home. You are welcome for breakfast and dinner but in between you better find some where to go".

A father/husband hanging around at home has other unintended consequences. One of my kids then 6 years old informed the neighbours very proudly that 'papa has been sacked'. So be careful my friend!
V.Narayan is offline   (8) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks