Team-BHP - Great feelings becoming a Team-BHP member
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Introduce yourself (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/introduce-yourself/)
-   -   Great feelings becoming a Team-BHP member (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/introduce-yourself/189564-great-feelings-becoming-team-bhp-member.html)

Hi everyone,

To begin with, I must confess that I have read t-bhp posts since quite a few years and I always found it authentic and came back for more. As I came to rely on members' views more and more I finally thought why not me. So one day in the very recent past I did apply and was promptly turned down. When this was repeated the next time, I began to wonder whether I was eligible at all. But as things turned out, I corresponded with GTO who reconsidered my application and so finally here I am. And it's a great feeling being a part of this vibrant community.

All through my life my family and friends have called me car crazy. They were probably justified too! After all, I remember that during one of my summer vacations, I had thoroughly read the AA Book of the Car. Whatever I learnt from the book, I used to verify when our car (the trusted Amby) went to the mechanic. My earliest childhood memories start with our Landmaster. Then came the Ambassador Mark 1 which was with us for many years. It had the original Smith gauges with a clock in the middle; a rotary switch on the key slot, a separate knob for the self starter; and a side jack. A cranking handle was given with the tool kit and on rare occasions I have seen my father use it. This car covered 100,000 miles (yes, miles) in front of my eyes.

We switched from Amby to Maruti 1000 in the 1990s. Since then we have had a Maruti with us. Maruti Omni, Maruti Esteem Diesel, Swift VXi, SX4 ZDi (still with us) and Swift LDi (still with us). In between we had a Tata Indica LSi for a few years. Apart from these two I also have an XUV500 which I acquired with the express purpose of long distance travel.

My first driving experience was in my friend's Standard Gazel when I was in Class 12. I believe that I drove it rather smoothly right at my first attempt without any hiccups. This friend of mine, who learnt to drive much before I did, later told me that I did quite well. Evidently, my instincts simply guided me and I did not become nervous or confused even a bit. That was in Kolkata.

I lived in Bangalore during my college years and took my driving test there. I started driving regularly in Bangalore. It was a pleasure to drive then with smooth roads, orderly traffic and heavenly climate.

I am based in Kolkata and am in the publishing industry. I have been a book editor for donkey's years and I used to go through author manuscripts. My main work during that time was to make their writing as easy to read and understand while keeping the concepts undiluted. My background is in Science and it helped that I already knew what the author was trying to communicate and explain but could not put it succinctly in words. At present, I am more into admin and ops than core editing.

I am a Bengali and I love Kolkata although these days I am appalled by the driving habits I see all around me. With the advent of good cars, the quality of drivers (specially professional ones) has become atrocious. This is one of my pet topics and maybe I might begin a thread on driving etiquette, road manners, and, defensive driving. I believe that just learning the driving technical, such as, how to engage the clutch and shift gears, and so on, is not enough. A good driver also has to be a careful and considerate person.

I could go on and on but won't. As an intro it has become quite verbose. But I will be happy to contribute my bit in whatever way I can. I sure look forward to interacting with other bhpians in the coming weeks.

Once again I thank the moderators, specially GTO, for your support.

All are welcome to get in touch with me.

Welcome to forums. Looking forward to your contributions

Welcome mate... and look forward to your contributions :thumbs up

Thanks. I am getting to know my way around. I'll surely chip in with what I can.