Team-BHP > Introduce yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 1st March 2018, 12:17   #1
BHPian

Call of Duty - Most Wanted : M.D

What did you just read? No, it's not a new game or show, but rather, it's a description of my influences.

I was born in the interiors of Kerala, brought up in erstwhile Madras, Bangalore, Dharwad, Thrissur, Calicut and am finally back to Bangalore, where I work as a writer – of code. Yes, a Software Engineer, but not your typical one. As a kid, I dreamt of working with computers by day, and as a Musician (Singer, Instrumentalist and DJ) by night. Sleep? No kid ever wants to sleep, and so I got into music, identifying myself very closely with Linkin Park and EMINƎM.

Anyway, one day, I was introduced to a computer game called Need For Speed 5: Porsche 2000, and that was the beginning of my automobile journey. I grew passionate about cars, driving them fast and modifying them with great detail, in my virtual world. Then, I gained access to Need For Speed: Most Wanted where I learnt that speed isn't everything: precision driving is just as important. This, coupled with various influences from iconic movies such as The Fast And The Furious (2001), The Transporter (2002) and The Italian Job (2003) led me to aspire being a good driver, and I began observing my dad when he drove. Though my parents didn’t allow me to drive till I turned 18, I aced my driving test with flying colours. (Finally beating Sharmaji Ka Beta at something)

All this while, my passion for computers grew and the desire to play the latest games (which now included FPS like HL2 and Call Of Duty) led me to become adept at tuning my computer to suit larger demands. I sincerely thank Microsoft and it’s product Windows, for all the issues it has thrown at me in the past. Troubleshooting has only improved my knowledge and I am keen to share it with the world. Also thanks in part to Yahoo for familiarizing me with using a search engine and also for turning down multiple times Google’s desire to be acquired, thereby allowing Google to become bigger and better. And enormous thanks to Wikipedia for helping me with my research. While at the time, many articles were bogus, it was a valuable starting point for be to become proficient with tuning computers.

I see tweaking cars to be something similar as tuning computers. At the very least, they are both machines, and I hope that having knowledge in one domain can help with another. The car my family currently owns is now old enough to vote - a 1999 Zen (Carburetted) LX, named Peacock for her colour. She has zero electronic systems, not even a music system. Parents couldn’t afford it then, and now, I can live without one as I notice her behaviour more. With zero electronics, she becomes fairly predictable and I enjoy driving her and am thoroughly grateful for her company, often taking me to great speeds on highways where even Innovas, Fortuners and Travelers do not dare to flex their muscles. She will forever remain my one true love, but might move into the hands of a friend soon, as the family gets ready to welcome a 20th Anniversary Edition Honda City Petrol.

I look forward to learn from the community and share whatever limited knowledge I have in the best way I can. (Big fan of the ELI5 Subreddit).

Cheers!

CaptainPrice

PS: The last part of the thread's title, M.D is a reference to the show, House M.D, which has played a big part in defining me.

Last edited by CaptainPrice : 1st March 2018 at 12:32. Reason: Punctuation correction
CaptainPrice is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 1st March 2018, 13:27   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Call of Duty - Most Wanted : M.D

Welcome home!
Have a great time here, and by the way wasn't NFS5 called as 'Porsche Unleashed'? (It is one of my all time favorites).
abhishek46 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st March 2018, 13:42   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek46 View Post
Welcome home! Have a great time here
Thank you, Abhishek.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek46 View Post
and by the way wasn't NFS5 called as 'Porsche Unleashed'? (It is one of my all time favorites).
It was released as Porsche 2000 in Europe as per the following Wikipedia article. Don't know how my cousin managed to get his hands on that version though. When I returned from his house after my vacations, I spent a good two years at a cyber-cafe playing this game after completing my project work, and there at the cafe, it was titled Porsche Unleashed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Need_f...sche_Unleashed
Old 1st March 2018, 14:16   #4
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainPrice View Post
Anyway, one day, I was introduced to a computer game called Need For Speed 5: Porsche 2000, and that was the beginning of my automobile journey. I grew passionate about cars, driving them fast and modifying them with great detail, in my virtual world. Then, I gained access to Need For Speed: Most Wanted where I learnt that speed isn't everything: precision driving is just as important.
Sadly, they don't make games like "Need For Speed Porsche Unleashed" anymore. If you want to play those classic games, sign up for -http://store.steampowered.com/

Nice handle "Captain Price" - huge Call of Duty fan here.

And welcome to Team-BHP!
SmartCat is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 1st March 2018, 16:55   #5
BHPian

The feels. It was a wonderful time-period of my life. Only recently was I able to complete Test-Driver without the game crashing even once, and with my improved skill-set. What a rewarding feeling! Hope you've checked it out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
Sadly, they don't make games like "Need For Speed Porsche Unleashed" anymore.

I will sign up one day. Until then, it's physical disks for me. Or loaners.
Quote:
If you want to play those classic games, sign up for -http://store.steampowered.com/

This made my day! Looking forward to greater interaction. Thank you smartcat. Cheers!
Quote:
Nice handle "Captain Price" - huge Call of Duty fan here.

And welcome to Team-BHP!
CaptainPrice is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st March 2018, 17:45   #6
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Welcome aboard man! Great to have you with us. Phenomenal writing style - some lines had me .

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainPrice View Post
I see tweaking cars to be something similar as tuning computers.
Especially today!! Where coding (remaps) is the easiest way to get more power from turbo-petrols & turbo-diesels.

Quote:
She has zero electronic systems, not even a music system
Sounds a lot like my Jeep. Similar age too.

Quote:
20th Anniversary Edition Honda City Petrol
Congratulations. Can never go wrong with a Honda City .
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2018, 02:34   #7
BHPian

Welcome aboard, Cap! Looking at your handle brought up smile of my face. Huge fan of COD series. Still play COD4 multi-player on Ps3. What a game that is. More than a decade old but still kicks ass.

Hope you have a great time here in this beautiful community and get to meet Soap real quick

"Let's do this! "
Col Mehta is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2018, 22:10   #8
Senior - BHPian

Welcome Aboard Cap!

We will surely have frequent rendezvous moving forward on this forum

COD is one of many gaming enthusiasts legendary games! My favorite is the Ghost edition and it just blows me away each time I play it on my playstation 4 after World War series in COD which is just worlds apart in gaming platform.

Looking forward to connect more often soldier! Until next time, Dismissed!
gururajrv is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2018, 13:31   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col Mehta View Post
Welcome aboard, Cap! Looking at your handle brought up smile of my face. Huge fan of COD series.

Hope you have a great time here in this beautiful community and get to meet Soap real quick
"Let's do this! "
Of course, mate. "Just another day at the office"

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Welcome aboard man! Great to have you with us. Phenomenal writing style - some lines had me .
Haha. I try. Seriously, thanks for having me aboard.

Quote:
Sounds a lot like my Jeep. Similar age too.
Timeless classics, I say!

Quote:
Congratulations. Can never go wrong with a Honda City.
Thank you. Truth be told, one of the motivations was how much people talked about you ownership of the OHC. Then, I finalized the idea in my head after watching that Dyno run of yours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gururajrv View Post
Welcome Aboard Cap!
We will surely have frequent rendezvous moving forward on this forum . Looking forward to connect more often soldier! Until next time, Dismissed!
Until next time, soldier! See you. And thank you for the welcome.
Old 3rd March 2018, 16:38   #10
BHPian

Whoah! Welcome mate. Just for the record NFSPU and COD are my favourite games. Finished playing Porsche Unleashed on Jan29th for 17th time and right now on COD 5 after completing previous series. Have lost count of how many times I replayed and finished COD 1&2.

Last edited by akshay380 : 3rd March 2018 at 16:39.
akshay380 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2018, 17:50   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay380 View Post
Whoah! Welcome mate. Just for the record NFSPU and COD are my favourite games. Finished playing Porsche Unleashed on Jan29th for 17th time and right now on COD 5 after completing previous series. Have lost count of how many times I replayed and finished COD 1&2.
Thank you for the welcome, mate. Your game time is impressive! I lost count of how many times I've played PU. And Most Wanted, even more than that. I even remember the serial key by-heart. Mind you, it's a key that's from 13 years ago And I love Modern Warfare 1 the most among COD. Played that starting mission umpteen number of times, just for the exit scene.

Hope to interact with you more on the Forum! Happy Weekend!

Cheers!
CaptainPrice is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th March 2018, 10:47   #12
BHPian

Welcome to Team-BHP. I must admit that you have great writing skills with good sense of humour. So far I have kept myself away from virtual games, but going through your introduction it seems that I missed some fun. But it is never late to try out new things!
FirstRay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2018, 09:10   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstRay View Post
Welcome to Team-BHP.
I must admit that you have great writing skills with good sense of humour. So far I have kept myself away from virtual games, but going through your introduction it seems that I missed some fun. But it is never late to try out new things!
Thank you for the welcome, FirstRay! Thank you also for the compliments.

And yes, I agree that it's never too late to try anything, and I'm sure that while I was playing computer games, you were also up to something interesting that others may not have experienced. Anyway, if you want to begin your foray into computer games, give it a shot and see for yourself. Feel free to PM me for any clarification.

Cheers!
CaptainPrice is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2018, 00:11   #14

Welcome to Team-BHP!

I too was passionate about games in my school and college days and played quite a few games then, some to name are Need for speed, Silent Hill, Pitfall, Tekken and Tomb Raider II.
And now recently started all over again with Uncharted series with The Last of us, and now eagerly waiting for The last of us 2 in 2018.

cheers,
Old 7th March 2018, 02:03   #15
Senior - BHPian

Ah welcome. a fellow member with a CoD inspired handle!
Any guesses where i got mine
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks