Team-BHP > Introduce yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 22nd June 2018, 07:46   #1
BHPian

Petrolhead since the age of 6!

Hello everyone
It is not everyday that one gets to become a team bhp member. Ha ha. I have had my own ups and downs. But the good thing is that finally I am here.

I have always had a fascination for automobiles ever since I was a little kid. Things really took a turn when one day my father; I don't know what got into his mind; got me a copy of auto car India. I was six then. I very clearly remember the main article on Skoda Octavia 1.9 tdi by hormazd sorabjee. Octavia had just been launched at an equivalent price of 6 lacs and Skoda was contemplating coming to India. First time I saw that a car can really be so beautiful. I mean growing up all we had around was ambassadors, fiats and the Marutis. I was floored. Still have that magazine.

I guess this has something to do with genes and I can say I inherited this from my father and grandfather. My grandfather had a std rover 2000. A great car and looker. Later ambys took over. My father was so fond of driving that he would buy a new car every two years. I still remember sundays, when dad would take out our fiat, fill up the tank and head onto one of the highways in any direction. We had relatives in himachal and jammu so ended up exploring the north. Drive till the tank was nearly finished, fill up again and drive back. I loved those long drives. Stopping at fuel bunks, eating at roadside Dhabas, stopping at train crossing and watching trains go by; it was an occasion in itself.
Then we got a Maruti van. Spacious and modern my dad said. Life was fun in the eighties.

Sadly in 88 we sold our car and dad was even contemplating shifting from Punjab. But somehow we didn't. Meanwhile I grew up. Education and fees came up. I would sneak out with my friends and drive their cars. Life moved on. Finally it was 2003, I was into my third year in Mbbs when we brought a car again. The mighty Hyundai santro. It was a pre worshipped one, had 40,000 on the odo. Dad said he bought this to teach me how to drive. The only occasion when dad ever scolded me was when I scratched both sides of the car. Driving is not easy. My dad got the car painted three times. So pathetic I was then. Anyways life moved on and so I progressed . Had that car for 4 years then dad bought another santro. A silver deluxe model. Power windows. I was the designated driver and the Sunday drives continued onto become weekend drives. Drove that around for nearly 1.7 lac kms when the car had a freak accident and was totaled. Dad was returning home after dropping me off at the college. He remained safe. So floored was he with the safety of the modern monocoque chassis that we bought a third santro- a white erlx- 2007 till present. And it has been my best buddy since. Has stayed with me in ludhiana, delhi, Gurgaon,chandigarh, Kanpur, Amritsar and now Jalandhar. I finished my MS surgery and after a few jobs and residencies moved on to govt medical college Kanpur for my super specialization in open heart surgery and bypass but the santro remains my humble companion and has clocked 1.5 lacs on the odo and still going strong. Dad always said- your car is like your second wife- take good care of her and she will take good care of you and how right was he.
Came across team bhp 5 years ago while looking up a review on XUV5OO. I was very excited. I read many reviews on this forum. The best thing was and I also told Gto about this- these reviews and experiences were written by people like me. Who loved cars from their heart and wrote this out of pure passion. This is why this forum is so honest and true. A group of like minded people. Life moved on, struggles continued till I settled in Jalandhar and finally decided to join team bhp. And here I am.
I still love my santro. It has taken me places up to Jispa and keylong and still going strong. Would never sell it. But with family now am planning to upgrade in the near future, a decision I will take later but with help from this forum.

As you can see, everyone s life is a journey. We all struggle, ride over hiccups and potholes in search for the elusive ride into the sunset, carrying over burdens and feelings along. And as my santro has taught me, life is all about the journey.

Thanks everyone for their time who reads this.
Hopefully it will be a good journey from here.

Keep revvin.

knrn
knrn is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2018, 09:02   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Petrolhead since the age of 6!

Welcome to T-BHP knrn

Quote:
Originally Posted by knrn View Post
I was six then. I very clearly remember the main article on Skoda Octavia 1.9 tdi by hormazd sorabjee.
Finally it was 2003, I was into my third year in Mbbs
Did I miss something here?
Old 22nd June 2018, 13:41   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hello everyone
Welcome to Team-BHP knrn.

Quote:
Things really took a turn when one day my father; I don't know what got into his mind; got me a copy of auto car India.
I remember my first magazine. It was a copy of BS Motoring. Then came a few issues of Overdrive followed by a subscription to Autocar India. One of the best auto magazines. I had an opportunity to intern with Autocar UK. Loved my time there.

Quote:
My grandfather had a std rover 2000.
Ah, the Rover SD1. A good alternative to the common Ambassadors and Fiats.

Looks like you thoroughly enjoyed your childhood. Nothing beats a weekend drive.

Quote:
The only occasion when dad ever scolded me was when I scratched both sides of the car.
We've all made mistakes while learning to drive and scratched cars.

Quote:
He remained safe.
Glad to hear that your dad made it out ok.

Nice to have a highly qualified doctor on the team. Looking forward to seeing your posts on the forum.

Maybe an ownership report on your Hyundai Santro?
Old 22nd June 2018, 16:04   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Boss View Post
Welcome to T-BHP knrn

Did I miss something here?

Sorry. Didn't get you
Old 22nd June 2018, 21:07   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Sorry. Didn't get you
You were 6 during Octavia launch (end of 90's) and by 2003 you managed to get into MBBS 3rd year
Old 23rd June 2018, 08:23   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Boss View Post
You were 6 during Octavia launch (end of 90's) and by 2003 you managed to get into MBBS 3rd year

Ha ha ha. I get that pretty often. Please allow me to clarify. Whenever we in India think of the the brand Skoda- the Octavia comes to mind and why not. With 5 million units sold worldwide it has become synonymous with Skoda and is the most common perception. The version that we all refer to and know is what was launched in India in 1996. And I am sure that is what you had in mind and are confusing it with.

The brand name Octavia was used by Skoda first in 1959 for the eighth car they made- Octavia. Which continued to be in production till 1971. It included a wide model range and preceded by the 440/445:450 and succeeded by the 1000 mb . Those were real beauties and my favorite was the 1000 mb, the successor to the Skoda Octavia. I mean all I had seen was ambassadors and fiats and then there it was. It was the tenth model they produced. It was later succeeded by the model 110 /110 coupe Things continued like this and when Skoda went global in 1996 they decided to re surrect the name Octavia.
So Octavia and Skoda have been around since very long. I hope this suffices.
Old 23rd June 2018, 14:21   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
So Octavia and Skoda have been around since very long. I hope this suffices.
No doubts about the Octavia's history, but Octy + 1.9 tdi combination came around mid of 90's is my understanding. Still my math couldn't correlate the time frame you mentioned with my limited knowledge.
Mr.Boss is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2018, 16:59   #8
BHPian

Am confused too. Autocar India was first published in September 1999. Something doesn't add up.

Anyway, welcome to the forum, knrn.
Old 23rd June 2018, 23:10   #9
BHPian

Aha. The devil is in details. Autocar has been in publishing since 1895 by lliiffee and sons. It was an international copy that dad had somehow got hold of.
Yes I acknowledge in my excitement I mentioned 1.9 tdi wrongfully which came around 1996. Thanks for pointing that out and I acknowledge it.

But hey folks the story of life doesn't always add up. And mine is so topsy turvy. Also it's not everyday that one gets to join team bhp. Takes a lot no of efforts and perseverance. I can vouch this to the credit of all those who have made it here. Let's celebrate while we are here and let's keep those wheels revvin. Looking forward to many more years of camaraderie and high rpms.
knrn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th June 2018, 01:42   #10
BHPian

Wow congratulations and welcome to Tbhp.

It seems this Autocar magazine has given birth to many enthusiasts. Its high time I get one copy for my 2 year kid he can't read but can definitely enjoy pictures.

Last edited by roby_dk : 24th June 2018 at 01:43.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks