Team-BHP > Introduce yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 2nd November 2018, 08:46   #1
BHPian

A dream come true! My entry into the Team-BHP forum

Even as I type this post, I have mixed feelings. One feeling is being happy that I've finally become a member of this esteemed forum while the second feeling is that of being a bit nervous that I don't fumble in my first post itself.

About me:
I am in my mid 20's currently working as a freelance content writer. I previously used to work full time for an automobile blogging website and that's how I found out about Team-BHP.

While the first few weeks passed just scanning the news section, I later strayed into the forum section out of curiosity and boy did it get me hooked! It's been three years since that I've been reading up on Team-BHP and have also tried my luck registering a few times earlier before I was finally approved as a member yesterday.

Just like a few other members here, I grew up around toys which included dozens of HotWheels and a few scale models (still have a few of them with me). Growing up, I once fired up my OHC (Old Honda City) while I was barely old enough to be studying in the secondary section of school.

After getting me a license at the age of 18 as my birthday gift, my dad rarely allowed me to drive the car as he thought I was under the bad influence of a few friends at the time. I still used to sneak out with the car keys every once in a while to practice nonetheless, until I was caught in the act one fine day. A few months later, my parents understood my hunger to drive a car and began to give me the car to drive around the area for various household duties, of course, under their supervision.

While my father was later okay with me driving a four-wheeler, a two-wheeler was a strict no as it was a very risky mode of transport according to him at the time. I still ended up buying a second-hand Activa with all the money I had saved till that day. My father was pretty furious with me at the time and didn't talk to me for a whole week. But at the end of the week, I clearly remember him asking me for the keys to the Activa for a spin. And as they say, the rest is history.

My garage:
My family currently owns three cars including a Maruti Suzuki WagonR (the current workhorse of the house), a Type-II Honda City and a Hyundai Creta. In the two-wheelers department, I own a TVS Apache RR310.

My current interests in the automotive field include the supercar and superbike section (as I aspire to own one some day) as well as a few consumer related issues (such as the Flipkart malpractices issue and the infamous Maruti Baleno fake servicing issue). Outside the automotive field, I have my interests in animal welfare (I've been volunteering with an animal NGO for the past few years) and also have a little interest in technology, the major pull being mobiles.

Last but in no way the least, I would like to thank all the mods, especially GTO, for approving me as a member of this forum and I hope I can be of help to other members with whatever opinions and insights I share.

Last edited by SDP : 2nd November 2018 at 08:58. Reason: Please make an effort to capitalize each "I" when you use it :)
Torque_Curve is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2018, 09:03   #2
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Re: A dream come true! My entry into the Team-BHP forum

Welcome Torque_Curve to the forum!

A Thane member! Good! My eyes light up a bit when I see someone from Mumbai-Thane-NaviMumbai join the forum as the chances of bumping into them on one fine day are significantly higher.

How many members in your family drive? Quite a big garage (3 cars + 1 bike), by Mumbai-Thane standards.

Last edited by SDP : 2nd November 2018 at 09:07.
SDP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2018, 14:55   #3
BHPian

Thank you for the warm welcome sir. I agree it feels great to know that one has higher chances of bumping into a fellow BHP-ians who stay in the same or nearby area. In case we don't casually bump into each other, I'm sure we could meet during the next Team-BHP meetup.

Regarding the garage size, the Creta and the Apache are fairly new members, both being barely a year old.

There are only 2 people including me and my father who drive in the family. The WagonR is used by my mother (she has a driver for the same) as a daily driver to work while the City is used by my father to for commuting as well as for the family holidays. The Apache is used by me regularly to as a commuter to a few work related visits as well as for weekend rides. We had originally planned to sell off the City and the WagonR (which is showing it's age after having clocked about 1.25 lakh kilometres in the past 10 years) after the Creta arrived and replace them with a hatchback. Unfortunately though, the registration papers of the City were lost by an agent when the car had gone to the RTO for the purpose of the green tax certificate. We are now in the process of getting the paperwork done ourselves which should take some more time.

It is definitely a big garage by the city standards and trust me, it is a nightmare to find parking too, specially in a society like mine where there is no alotted parking for anyone and the number of cars are increasing with each passing day.
Torque_Curve is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2018, 16:57   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torque_Curve View Post
Even as I type this post, I have mixed feelings. One feeling is being happy that I've finally become a member of this esteemed forum while the second feeling is that of being a bit nervous that I don't fumble in my first post itself.
Hi Torque_Curve,

Welcome to the forum.

I can relate a quite a few things you mentioned in your post. I used to take our old 800's keys when nobody was at home and start her up, move the car a few feet forward and reverse it back. I was not allowed to drive my car even after I got my license. I was driving other cars in the family. It took a few years till dad gave me our Ritz keys. I probably came across Team-BHP while writing for some automotive website.

What size scale models do you collect? I collect 1:18 and have few smaller models as well. Do take a look at the Scale Models thread and post pics of your collection as well.

Looking forward to seeing your posts on the forum and hopefully ownership experience of your cars.

Last edited by ChiragM : 2nd November 2018 at 16:59.
ChiragM is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2018, 18:27   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torque_Curve View Post
Welcome Torque_Curve. Seems like the Thane group is increasing in size with every passing day

Good garage there. Hope to read more about your experiences and rides going forward. Enjoy the forum, make friends and keep riding/driving
sunilch is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2018, 23:15   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiragM View Post
Hi Torque_Curve,

Welcome to the forum.

I can relate a quite a few things you mentioned in your post. I used to take our old 800's keys when nobody was at home and start her up, move the car a few feet forward and reverse it back. I was not allowed to drive my car even after I got my license. I was driving other cars in the family. It took a few years till dad gave me our Ritz keys. I probably came across Team-BHP while writing for some automotive website.

What size scale models do you collect? I collect 1:18 and have few smaller models as well. Do take a look at the Scale Models thread and post pics of your collection as well.

Looking forward to seeing your posts on the forum and hopefully ownership experience of your cars.
Hi ChiragM, thank you for the warm welcome. I'm glad to know we share a few experiences as you mentioned above.

Regarding the scale models, I don't collect them per se, rather I've been gifted a few of them over a period of time. I have more of the HotWheels toys/cars when compared to the scale models.

I'm currently away from home and hence will post a few images in the thread shared by you once I'm back. I will also be posting the ownership experience of my Creta and Apache around the same time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunilch View Post
Welcome Torque_Curve. Seems like the Thane group is increasing in size with every passing day

Good garage there. Hope to read more about your experiences and rides going forward. Enjoy the forum, make friends and keep riding/driving
Hi Sunilch, thank you for the warm welcome. Wow! Another BHP-ian from the lake city! I hope we (the Thane BHP-ian's) have a meetup soon.

Thank you for the compliment on the garage.
The City is probably the most special car for me in the garage as it was the very car from which i began driving and words would fall short to describe how much i love her. But unfortunately, the car will have to be sold soon as both my parents are unable to use it due to their individual health issues. Initially i had plans on keeping her with me and do something like a resto-mod, but mind wins over heart when it comes to issues such as the safety aspect and parking constraints.
Would you believe me if i told you that she's run just about 42,000 kilometres in the past 16 years? And in all these years, save for the periodical services, the only components that have been changed include the battery, tyres and the suspension. In fact, on rare occasions that we give her a start maybe after a full month, she still cranks to life the same way she did when she was brought home. Atleast that's what my father says (too young to remember at that time).
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks