Team-BHP > Introduce yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 1st April 2019, 18:07   #1
BHPian

My grand new adventure with Team-BHP

Hey guys!

I've been using Team-BHP forum for almost a decade now but I've never had the courage to register on the forum. An old colleague of mine was a reason why I felt a mental block. He told me that the forum is extremely restrictive and closed to outsiders....I don't want to discuss his views but now I'm finally here.

I'm a Fiat owner, and this is my second car. My first was a Maruti Alto- which I'm trying very hard to forget!!!

I want to tell you an adventure I've had since I joined this forum last week. Couple of months ago, my car was badly vandalized by someone who got creative with a coin. The damage was extensive to the paintwork, and 2 doors were completely ruined. Naturally, I was really dejected. It was during this time that I started asking around for a workshop in Chennai where I could get it painted.

Luckily Team-BHP Provided the answer. There was a thread on one Moto Mall Nandanam which I called up. Turns out they had shifted to St. Thomas Mount. I called and spoke to the people who were mentioned in the earlier thread... (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/chenn...chennai-6.html (Car Accessories : Privilege Moto Mall (Chennai)))

I got special treatment from them from the moment I stepped in. My Team-BHP credentials had immense weight. I can tell you that I got every bit of attention I didn't deserve as a result of this membership. To me, it was something spectacular.

You know...in Fiat service centres, its written "You are. We Car". That sums up my emotions at this time. My car is a centrepiece of my life, and its given me so many memories and joyous moments. It would be an injustice if I didn't mention it here...

I got an awesome discount, and it cost way below what RDC Fiat had charged me. 2 Doors, 1 Running Board and 2 ORVMs cost me only 12,999/-. The work was exceptional too! The paintwork was as good as the company work.

I'm just posting a couple of pics for you guys to see. I just got back my car from the workshop earlier this evening!

I hope to use this forum to socialize, meet other like minded car owners who share a passion for vehicles, and get to meet some other Fiat Owners and share stories with them!

I'm a researcher at IIT-Madras. Doing my Ph.D. Into my second year now. I've had 10 years work-ex prior to this though!
My grand new adventure with Team-BHP-20190401_151405.jpg

My grand new adventure with Team-BHP-20190401_151407.jpg

My grand new adventure with Team-BHP-20190401_151437.jpg

My grand new adventure with Team-BHP-20190401_151438.jpg

My grand new adventure with Team-BHP-20190401_151640.jpg

My grand new adventure with Team-BHP-20190401_151648.jpg

My grand new adventure with Team-BHP-20190401_152246.jpg
JohnKT777 is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 4th April 2019, 10:18   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: My grand new adventure with Team-BHP

Hello JohnKT777,

Welcome to the forum. Glad you could make it through the membership process.

Quote:
My first was a Maruti Alto- which I'm trying very hard to forget!!!
Do tell us what happened with the Alto and why you are trying to forget it.

Good to know that your Linea has been fixed. Please share an ownership review of the car.

Since you are doing your Ph.D. now, take a look at our Ph.D. thread.

Please take some time to go through the posting rules of Team-BHP.

Looking forward to seeing your posts on the forum.
Old 4th April 2019, 13:01   #3
Senior - BHPian

Hey John, welcome to team-bhp !!!
Good to see another member from Namma Chennai.

Chennai team-bhpians used to have a robust meet culture during the mid-to-end 2000s, which has gone down a bit, but I guess the guys still manage to meet up once in a while. Do look for the Chennai-meet thread to catch up with like-minded folks.

Cheers !!!
-SB
Old 13th April 2019, 16:07   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiragM View Post
Do tell us what happened with the Alto and why you are trying to forget it.
My Alto was a bad purchase from pretty much the day I got it. When I bought it in 2012, the new model was just around the corner....but the salespeople told us nothing. In the end, just a few weeks after my purchase, I realized that I was driving an out of production model.

Also, the issue with the Alto was always its build quality. It was pretty poor. The car produces all kinds of sounds from the dashboard, and it never gave me a feeling of being inside something more solid and well built. The doors were flimsy, and the car was anything but aspirational. Close to being 6 feet tall, it was always a little too uncomfortable for me in the front seat. I wasn't too inspired by the brakes too, especially if you have 3 more passengers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiragM View Post
Good to know that your Linea has been fixed. Please share an ownership review of the car.
My Linea ownership has been good. Its a solidly built vehicle. The vehicle has its own quirks, especially since its built in a factory shared with the Tatas. There are panel gaps in the build, and it accumulated rust after 4 years, despite good care, especially in the corner areas which were hard to reach. There were issues of tyre wear too. I got all my tyres replaced by 27.5K. The rear left tyre was completely worn out. Tyre wear was uneven for my car. I understand its a common problem with Tata cars too, especially the Indica.

My grand new adventure with Team-BHP-img20190325wa0010.jpg

However, I am proud of owning this car. I like its beautiful looks, the body shape and size at over 4.5 metres long, the 500 litres boot, the overall quality of plastics and the inspired confidence it gives me during driving. I like its hydraulic steering and its overall performance. The engine is not the most refined, but it does its job well. The car never gave me any trouble for the last 4.5 years of ownership. I have traveled all the 14 districts of Kerala as well as a couple of Kochi-Chennai trips on the car, and its performed beautifully. You don''t feel fatigued inside the car. Ride quality is good, and it feels very safe inside.
Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Hey John, welcome to team-bhp !!!
Good to see another member from Namma Chennai.
Hey SP, looks like you commute pretty often between Chennai and Kerala...can you describe your experiences? And tell me how to make the driving plan a lot safer? There are issues I faced during driving between the 2 states...in Salem for example, I once crashed through a speed breaker at over 50 Kmph. Thankfully, my vehicle suspension survived, although my audio system popped out and a switch panel broke inside the dashboard. I don't do too many interstate these days because my wife is concerned, and I got a child, and also because my parents and in-laws are frightened at the prospect. But I feel that with some sound advice, and good preparation, I should be able to plan it out well. Please share your own thoughts on this. Let's plan out something and meet up if we can SP!
JohnKT777 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2019, 16:33   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnKT777
Hey SP, looks like you commute pretty often between Chennai and Kerala...can you describe your experiences? And tell me how to make the driving plan a lot safer?
Not often, but have done quite some Chennai-KL drives, the first one being in 1998 in our '85 non-ac M800. Roads weren't good then and it used to be a 15-16hr affair. Would jump into the car straight after work and drive through the night, with friends & a few casette tapes for company. If feel sleepy, we would just park safely and take a nap.

After marriage, switched to day driving & the Baleno. Start early morning around 5AM or so and reach by late evening - with breaks in between for tea, breakfast, lunch etc. For the first 3-4 drives I took the Kochi-Cbe-Salem route, then tried the Madurai - Tenkasi route and finally settled for the Kumily-Theni-Dindigul route, which seems to me to be the best (fastest and less kms). Not to mention the ghat drive on the Kerala side, which is scenic, but slows down the average speed.

Attached is a log of a drive I did alone in Nov-2016. The timing is inclusive of breaks - driving time alone was less than 12hrs. The average speed dips to like 30kmph on entering Kerala. In Tamilnadu, its so much fun to drive, with way higher average speeds.
My grand new adventure with Team-BHP-balenochennaimvkanov2016.jpg

Quote:
There are issues I faced during driving between the 2 states...in Salem for example, I once crashed through a speed breaker at over 50 Kmph.
A friend had his Getz's catalytic convertor (or muffler) fall off after he sped through an unmarked speed breaker on the highway around Salem.

On the Kumily Theni route that I frequent, I think between Cumbum and Theni, there are a few culverts that are built at a much great height than the approaching road. If taken at high speed, it can be a frightening flying experience and dangerous too.

Quote:
I don't do too many interstate these days because my wife is concerned, and I got a child, and also because my parents and in-laws are frightened at the prospect. But I feel that with some sound advice, and good preparation, I should be able to plan it out well.
No doubt that our roads are dangerous, but if we take adequate care (safe driving, enough rest & breaks, no driving if feeling sleepy etc), IMO should be OK.

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 18th April 2019 at 16:34.
Old 19th April 2019, 07:11   #6
Team-BHP Support

Great to have you here! And also amazing to note, that after 10 years of work experience you came back to mainstream academics. Not many do that!

Hope you have a great time at IITM. What is it you are researching upon?

Welcome again and see you around!
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks