Team-BHP > Introduce yourself

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 20th April 2019, 15:30   #1
BHPian

I am finally reborn

Hello BHPians,

I want to start my introduction first by thanking the moderators for approving my membership in this esteemed forum of revvies (I made this up - intended meaning is rev happy folks). After a wait of 9 years, yes you are reading this right 9 years since my first registration attempt in 2010 I finally got the approval to enter this forum and I am so happy that yesterday went out for just a drive in traffic with wife and kid for nothing, just celebration.

I am a Software Engineer by profession, type of a sinner you can say who introduces bugs in programs and later on cleans up own mess and even gets paid for that.

I am born and brought up in Kolkata, have been mostly here only with some official trips and vacations outside Kolkata. I am a fish eating Bengali by the way.

Needless to say I am a car enthusiast like you all on this forum. Passion to drive and passion to Live Cars is a bug which is what my wife says, I keep saying this is in men by nature, she understood finally when my toddler seems to only say bus and bike 80% of the time. Its indeed in the genes.

The excellent reviews on this forum attract me very much followed by the wonderful travelogues. I wish some day to be able to write similar travelogues myself on this forum. Its just that I will also put some more survival info in mine like how frequent to keep a stop for bio breaks and all. Ha ha ha ha.

Nevertheless a few lines about my first love and first wife, my 2007 Hyundai Getz Prime 1.3 which has entered its 12th year now with 90,000 KM + on the odometer. It still runs strong although the service cost has gone higher up now but in spite of having a 2nd i10 1.1 litres in the family I am faithful and loyal to the first love. I still find the Getz better in drive ability for its killer 3rd, 4th and 5th gears which make it the perfect urban commuter by making power burst available that can cut traffic very easily. Of course its not the speed alone but the right lane selection that adds more value in traffic and it grows with experience. The smooth gear shift, light touch gas pedal, clutch foot rest and the factory fitted driver armrest were rare back in 2007 and still it makes the car drive ability very enjoyable. I would say that in 3rd and 5th gears the car drives like automatic only as i can rest my left leg on the dead pedal and only with both hands in steering by a light touch on the accelerator.

If I have to differentiate the Getz and the i10 I would say that the Getz builds up 0-60 very quickly and thereafter the power build up slows down. Although I have driven it in 130 max on HP petrol and occasionally even until a few years back on highways at 100/110 although 90% of my drive is in city traffic. But on the other hand the i10 gives a gradual build up on power and it delivers a linear increment till 75 / 85 easily. Some people had warned me on using a i10 for highways but it is also excellent in highway runs too just that its tyres default heat rating may not be supportive of continuous cruising for hours at 100+ so I prefer to keep it limited to 60-70 mostly.

The Getz have VKool films all over (the wind shield once broke so i did not get it filmed after the replacement) VK-70 for the front and J60 Gold-dust for the rears including the one on the backside and since 2008 its running strong for last 10-11 years with no bubbles or any discoloration. Sad in Kolkata they do not sell anymore but speaks of quality.

On the i10 we have Lumar all over with similar VLTs as the VKools and even in the 5th year (its a 2013 model, we bought in 2014 and then fitted the films) the films are absolute gems. Although quality wise I thinks VKools had a slight edge. Nevertheless they do an absolute great work.

Beyond cars, I am a foody and also like movies, music listening and sleeping along with addiction towards an occasional lazy state of being called "lyadh" in Bengali which is being idle and doing nothing.

Thats all for now. Lots to learn and share with you all. Proud to be here.
Live Cars and Live to Drive !

Thanks
Saikat
haisaikat is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 21st April 2019, 21:08   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: I am finally reborn

Saikat, welcome to team-bhp !!!

The Getz1.3 is indeed a lovely car. Quite a looker too in its heydays. It's 1.6D variant was a stonker giving much bigger cars a run for their money. Though not many of it were sold.

Have fun on the forum.

Cheers
SB.
supremeBaleno is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2019, 23:33   #3
BHPian

re: I am finally reborn

Congratulations and welcome to Team-BHP, haisaikat!

The Getz was a really good car for its time, and although its very rare on Kolkata's streets now, it's good to know that there are still owners like you who swear by it.

Only in Kolkata, can one boast about the sunfilm on their cars. I see so many cars with jet-black tints everyday. Guess the police here are "lyadhkhor" too

Have a great time, and I hope to see you at the official meets some day!
boniver is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2019, 22:14   #4
BHPian

Re: I am finally reborn

Quote:
Originally Posted by boniver View Post
Only in Kolkata, can one boast about the sunfilm on their cars. I see so many cars with jet-black tints everyday. Guess the police here are "lyadhkhor" too

Have a great time, and I hope to see you at the official meets some day!
Film business is still running strong in Kolkata.

Looking forward to meets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Saikat, welcome to team-bhp !!!

The Getz1.3 is indeed a lovely car. Quite a looker too in its heydays. It's 1.6D variant was a stonker giving much bigger cars a run for their money. Though not many of it were sold.

Have fun on the forum.

Cheers
SB.
You know I selected the gets only for its 2nd row shoulder room at a time when I did not know how to drive. Its only later I realised after some time with it that its drivability is awesome. I learnt about the crdi version here on tbhp only back then when I was as aspiring member.

Anyway good to be here with you all. Thanks for the warm welcome
haisaikat is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed