Team-BHP > Introduce yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 28th April 2019, 11:56   #1

A rare species?

Hi Team-bhp!
I've been visiting this website for 6 to 7 years now but only a few days ago I stumbled upon the 'Introduce yourself' thread and realised that one doesn't just get Team-bhp membership just like that. One has to earn it. I never went for membership before as I did not have a phone of my own (until recently) and I was also busy with finishing school.
It took just 2 days for the Team-bhp admins to approve my first attempt at a request for membership. Many thanks to them for considering me worthy enough.

My love for cars started from video games when I was around 7 years old. Me and my brother used to play games on our PC for hours on end. Video games were my first source of knowledge when it came to cars. Here are a few of the many things I learned from video games:
1. Lamborghini is a supercar manufacturer.
2. I shouldn't drift race a Ford Focus or a Toyota Corolla, later realising that the reason was that both are FWD
3. Better Suspension and Tires are instrumental to better handling of a car.
4. Turbocharged cars have a whistling sound.

However I even feel that I got this passion for cars from my dad. He loves all kinds of jeeps and has been driving them since his college days. We owned a Mahindra CJ when I was a kid in pre-primary school. It was succeeded by a MG410 Gypsy on which my dad got a successful engine swap done. Till date that Gypsy remains the most insane I have ever seen. Due credit to the 2.4 litre Toyota Qualis diesel in the engine bay, I distinctly remember the Gypsy could do burnouts!
Now we own a 2017 Brezza ZDi and my dad has resisted his urge to mess with its internals till now.

I am from Haldwani, a city around 40 kilometres from Nainital. Yep, my weekend getaway destination is Nainital whenever I am home.

Finally I would justify the title of the thread. I think I might just be a really rare species of petrolheads who are fond of Rotary Engines (hence my avatar, if you noticed). By the way, the 2nd generation Mazda RX-7 (FD3S) is my all time favourite. It is a dream of mine to own a JDM RX-7 in the future. For others who think those Lamborghini V10s have the sweetest sound on earth, just listen to the brapping of a Brigdeported Rotary. You'll never look back at V10 again, take that from me.

It is an honour to be a part of the best automobile website existing today.

Cheers,
WR10forever
wr10forever is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 29th April 2019, 08:10   #2
BHPian

Re: A rare species?

Welcome to the forum wr10 forever.

Most of us on this forum have been fascinated by automobiles of various hues ever since we were kids.

I have grown up in your neighborhood (Himachal Pradesh) & my dad also had a CJ-3B when I was in school. Later on that gave way to an Ambassador, a Tata Estate & a few Gypsys (MG 410/W). Couple of years ago I also invetsed in a new Gypsy that is currently parked at my parents place in Shimla.

Very interesting choice you have there for your avatar. My Marketing Professor in the University had a RX-8 and he used to track it on the weekends. It is sad indeed that Mazda decided to discontinue production of rotary engines in 2013. In any case Wankel engine would have found it extremely challenging to meet the stricter emission norms that are coming into effect. You can actually still buy a late model RX-8 (GT/GS) for around $10,000 around here.

As you've been a frequent visitor to the forum for a few years now you would know the quality of content is top notch & exchange of ideas is encouraged. I would suggest that you familiarize yourself with the form rules & we look forward to you contribution soon.

Drive safe!
Vikram Arya is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th April 2019, 08:37   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikram Arya View Post
It is sad indeed that Mazda decided to discontinue production of rotary engines in 2013. In any case Wankel engine would have found it extremely challenging to meet the stricter emission norms that are coming into effect.
Thank you very much Vikram

I've read about rumors that Mazda is actually working on a rotary engine as a range extender for hybrids. It was supported by a diagram of a patent filed by Mazda which shows a single rotor placed flat on its side in an engine placed in the boot of a hatchback. It is nearly the size of a shoebox!
Mazda though is a cash-strapped manufacturer and therefore it is hard to expect it to reintroduce a rotary anytime soon.

Quote:
Drive safe!
Well I do not have a driving licence right now and I don't even have any driving experience Hope to learn soon. As a BHPian of course I always have to be responsible on the road (and off it too).
wr10forever is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th April 2019, 17:19   #4
Senior - BHPian

Welcome to Team-BHP wr10forever.

The rotary is indeed one of the best sounding IC engines out there and I can understand the reason behind comparing it with a naturally aspirated V10.

But, as Vikram Arya mentioned, the drawbacks of the Wankel engine outweigh its advantages, especially in today's world of high fuel efficiency and low emissions. That said, I'm sure there are BHPians who love the high-revving rotary engine.

Looking forward to interacting with you on the forum.

Cheers!
TusharK is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th April 2019, 18:51   #5
GwD
BHPian

Welcome wr10forever to the best group of petrolheads.

As I read your introduction, I could fully empathise with you. When I was a school-kid, I used to spend hours poring over Observer's Book of Cars. And during late 70s and early 80s I used to drool over Mazda RX7.

Keep sharing your ideas and experiences.
GwD is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th May 2019, 12:54   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by wr10forever View Post
Hi Team-bhp!
I've been visiting this website for 6 to 7 years now but only a few days ago I stumbled upon the 'Introduce yourself' thread and realised that one doesn't just get Team-bhp membership just like that. One has to earn it. I never went for membership before as I did not have a phone of my own (until recently) and I was also busy with finishing school.
This is exactly my case. I first came to know about team BHP when I was searching for Lamborghini Murcielago wallpaper it was the year 2008, December holidays, I had too much time to kill and was just 6 years old back then. It landed me on MR ecksreturns thread(link https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/super...case-bull.html (My LP640 - "The eagle has landed, (or in this case, the bull)") ).It was such a joy to see pics of the Lambo being posted by the owner himself with much enthusiasm and I added a lot of words to my automobile glossary. There were two more supercar owners (liv2drv and V10) on the forum whom I later stumbled upon who posted pics of their rides. LINK to A 13-year-old thread https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/super...r-h2-more.html (MY toys - Ferrari, Porsche, Lamborghini, Hummer H2 and more!!). In 2009 MR ecks posted a detailed thread about all his wheels which was such a delight to read and I closely stalked the thread every day after I came home from school.(LINK TO THREAD
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/super...my-garage.html (Of Brits, Bavarians, Horses and Bulls - my Garage)). I have been a passive reader for a long time on this wonderful forum. In 2017 I gave my first membership request and two years and two tries later I got my membership approved in my third attempt. Extremely delighted to be a part of this forum.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 13th May 2019 at 14:28. Reason: quote box fixed
$tar_boy is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks