Team-BHP > Introduce yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 6th December 2019, 12:38   #1

Greetings!

Introduction

I thank the Moderators of TBHP for accepting my request in my first attempt!! Happy--yes very much, euphoric--maybe not... with age comes certain level of detachment.

I'm Dr. Murali, a dentist by profession-- in addition to twiddling with teeth and smiles, I shape young minds heading a department in a college. I am trying to teach ethics to the new generation and believe me it is a challenge.

My other passions are travel, wildlife (includes birds), nature, environment, culture, tradition and ancient architecture, not necessarily in that order.

Being a late bloomer (as far as driving goes), I learnt driving in the US of A while pursuing my Masters program, much after my teens. One weekend, I was behind the wheel for the first time and a fortnight later was driving cross country with my cousin to be part of the 1996 summer olympics at Atlanta. Of course it was an automatic sedan.

Before graduating, I picked up a used Toyota Corolla 2 door hatch for around $800 and did some crazy travel in it including some soul searching drives. My sister-in-law later learnt driving with the car and named her Betsy. Eventually, Betsy was given away for charity...

Returning to India, I went back to driving school to get used to a stick shift and also to unlearn all the rules and regulations, etiquette, etc I had learnt while driving in the USA :( The first car I bought here was a used Maruti 800 and decided to go for a new car when it got stranded on the road one fine day, though with a minor issue of loose connection.

My first brand new car was Fiat Palio MJD in 2008. The decision making process was aided by coming across Palio Users Group (PUG), perhaps the first professional automobile group started in India. It has been an amazing learning experience ever since. My association with the members is still very strong and I am sure there are quite a few of those members here. A big shout out to all the guys here....

It was a fairy tale journey with the Palio for 10 years and I clocked 2,30,000 kms (no typo here) before parting with it. I've used it as a mini SUV, taken it on crazy terrains, crossed rivulets, etc. The best part was it responded to each challenge thrown beautifully. The drive, planted and tank feel, seating comfort, power on tap, etc are legendary.

Change is the only constant and was planning on a new car, only reason being the external parts on the Palio were getting expensive and it needed some work. Renegade was a much awaited car which is yet to see the light of day. Reaching a meeting venue an hour early by over-estimating the Bangalore traffic led me to buy a Tata Nexon Diesel... this is the absolute truth. To kill time a friend and me went to check out the car, they did not offer a test drive and never bothered later too. Contacted a different vendor and struck a deal and in exactly 13 months I've managed 30,000 kms on the odo.

The journey continues and I hope I can contribute a bit in this amazing group.....
birdie is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 7th December 2019, 00:20   #2
BHPian

Re: Greetings!

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdie View Post
Introduction

My other passions are travel, wildlife (includes birds), nature, environment, culture, tradition and ancient architecture, not necessarily in that order.
Welcome Sir!
Amazing list there. Please do share your experiences with regard to and especially wildlife and ancient architecture - this may be a new and welcome thread in TBHP.
Old 7th December 2019, 05:23   #3
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I'm Dr. Murali, a dentist by profession-- in addition to twiddling with teeth and smiles, I shape young minds heading a department in a college. I am trying to teach ethics to the new generation and believe me it is a challenge.
Welcome to the forum Dr. Murali! Hope you have a lovely stay here.

Quote:
My first brand new car was Fiat Palio MJD in 2008. The decision making process was aided by coming across Palio Users Group (PUG), perhaps the first professional automobile group started in India.
I had a 2002 Palio 1.2 and was a part of the PUG Yahoo group. When I sold it in 2005 and bought a Baleno, a person in that group specifically asked me to leave because I did not own a Palio anymore. I felt a bit bad because I still love the Palio after so many years. It was truly a gem and saved my life in a massive accident.

Quote:
Returning to India, I went back to driving school to get used to a stick shift and also to unlearn all the rules and regulations, etiquette, etc I had learnt while driving in the USA :(
Sorry I had to quote this line and must say that I don't agree to this point. One does not need to unlearn the rules, regulations and etiquette in order to drive in India. In fact it is better if more and more people start following the rules and etiquettes.

Quote:
led me to buy a Tata Nexon Diesel...
Congratulations on your Nexon. Please post a few pics of both the Palio and the Nexon if possible.
BlackPearl is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2019, 05:35   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
I had a 2002 Palio 1.2 and was a part of the PUG Yahoo group. When I sold it in 2005 and bought a Baleno, a person in that group specifically asked me to leave because I did not own a Palio anymore. I felt a bit bad because I still love the Palio after so many years. It was truly a gem and saved my life in a massive accident.

Interesting. I was also a part of PUG around the same time!

Welcome to the doc.
Red Liner is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks