Team-BHP > Introduce yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 15th March 2007, 12:29   #1
BHPian

Graduating from Zen to Safari

Yes I know this is a huge step up, and I also know I am ready for it!

Me and my wife are based in Bangalore, both avid travellers (at least before I got married, I managed a trip a month). Now with my 1.5 year old son, we are graduating from the cute zippy Zen to the road beast called Safari. We have shortlisted a Golden Safari LX DICOR from Manipal motors. (Feedback on dealer will be greatly appreciated)

I have used all my cars (Maruti 800 DX 5-speed and Zen LXI) for about 3.5 years/35K kms, hope this Safari will last me longer.

I actually heard of Team BHP from xBHP, the rather immature biking forum, am impressed with the moderation and knowledge of the users here.

Ciao
Amit
Old 15th March 2007, 12:51   #2
Senior - BHPian

Hey Amit, welcome to Team BHP & congratulations on your decision to take the bold step.......I think your faith will not be misplaced more so if you travel a lot!

Enjoy your stay here
Old 15th March 2007, 12:59   #3
Team-BHP Support

Welcome wanderlust. Seems you registered in December 2006, but this is your first post! What took you so long?

As far as your choice of cars, or SUV's in this case, have you also considered the Scorpio? Personally, my choice would be the Scorpio, and more so if its the only vehicle in your garage, as its far more nimble within the city, and its also really reliable long term.

Though we do have a large fan following for the Safari here, so I'll let them list out the points against the Scorpio!
Old 15th March 2007, 13:00   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Boy, that surely is a step up....You could fit three Zens in the Safari trunk! Welcome to Team-BHP.

Search within the reviews section for Safari info. There are tons of reviews in there from long-term owners.
Old 15th March 2007, 13:06   #5
Senior - BHPian

Welcome, Wanderlust. Your choice is perfect for those with itchy feet.

Contrary to what Rtech says, we do not point fingers at other vehicles - therefore there will be no listing of points against any other vehicle. To each his own - you seem to have been around for a while so I'm assuming that you're well read in these matters.

Congratulations and welcome once again.
Old 15th March 2007, 16:07   #6
BHPian

Welcome to the forum,you have made a good choice.Please do consider Rtech's advise too,

Because from the fill it-shut it-forget it machine(Zen) to a Safari requires a lot of deliberations,more so in a city like Bangalore.

As Steeroid said you may have already pored through some thread's related to the beast.In case you have already gone ahead, extend the same tolerance and patience to your new baby as your 1.5 year old son!.....It may throw some tantrums too,

if you take it in your stride,you will be as proud a father soon.
Old 15th March 2007, 23:00   #7
BHPian

Welcome to the family wanderlust. I too have a Golden Safari LX DICOR in Hyderabad and it rocks....
Old 16th March 2007, 13:56   #8
BHPian

Thanks for the welcome notes guys.

I actually took the Scorpio for a long test drive and found that it rocks pretty bad at higher speeds, though its got oodles of usable power! And its much more expensive than the Safari for the same features. So finalized on the value for money package and good deal that the tata dealer is offering me.
Old 16th March 2007, 14:17   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust View Post
Thanks for the welcome notes guys.

I actually took the Scorpio for a long test drive and found that it rocks pretty bad at higher speeds, though its got oodles of usable power! And its much more expensive than the Safari for the same features. So finalized on the value for money package and good deal that the tata dealer is offering me.

Hey welcome to the forum.. Good choice on the safari.. This is exactly what i felt when i drove the scorpio before i bought the safari..
Safari if you have noticed offers more than the scorpio for less price..
Also since you are buying the LX talk to the dealer to paint the grey bumpers / side cladding and roof mounts to the body colour..
Steer and myself have opted on the option and the dealers though reluctant will have the body parts painted for free or a discounted price..

Godfather
Old 16th March 2007, 14:39   #10
evo
BHPian

Brilliant, the Safari is one car that I have liked since ages, and considering the beasts who drive autos on Bangalore roads, a Safari might actually be a better city car than the brilliant Zen..
Old 16th March 2007, 15:03   #11
BHPian

ahoy there sailor!here's one newbie welcoming another!
i'm keen on the safari too,esp after reading steer's posts which convinced me that if its good for him its good for lesser mortals like myself too.
godfather, is the paint job on the side cladding done by the dealer as good as the original paint done by the company?most of these dealer johnny boys use runny solvent mixed paints if they have to do a free paint job.pls advise.thanks.
Old 16th March 2007, 15:21   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorkats View Post
godfather, is the paint job on the side cladding done by the dealer as good as the original paint done by the company?most of these dealer johnny boys use runny solvent mixed paints if they have to do a free paint job.pls advise.thanks.
The painting is done by the dealers.. and they have done a brilliant job in matching the color.. See my BHP Garage for the pics of my dicor..

Godfather
Old 16th March 2007, 15:38   #13
BHPian

thanks for your reply.
godfather great looking dicor that!
havent seen that bull bar before.is it locally available?also has it lowered the ground clearance of the vehicle?
Old 16th March 2007, 16:03   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorkats View Post
thanks for your reply.
godfather great looking dicor that!
havent seen that bull bar before.is it locally available?also has it lowered the ground clearance of the vehicle?
Welcome doctorkats.
That bullbar is from Carryboy Range.. it will cost you 7K and is available at any car accessories dealer. The fog lamps come seperately are are 8.5K for a pair.
It does not lower the Ground clearance.

Godfather
Old 17th March 2007, 15:43   #15
BANNED

Good choice, although you should be aware that driving something like the Safari on Bangalore roads is not that easy.

However, once you get used to the dimensions, you'll realise that people actually make way for you. No need to use the horn either - just sneak up to people from behind, let them 'feel' the sound of the truck behind and then watch them move out of your way.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks