Team-BHP > Introduce yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 8th August 2020, 15:01   #1

Greetings from Meghalaya

Hey All,
First, a big Thank You to the moderators for letting me be a part of Team BHP. I consider myself blessed to have gotten in on my first attempt. But it does not matter whether you got in on the first or the fiftieth attempt. What matters is that you got in. I am also writing this review more than 2 weeks after being accepted (laziness you see).
I am a 30 year old from Shillong in the state of Meghalaya, the abode of Clouds. I am also an Electrical Engineer working for the State's Discom. This ties into the car I drive currently which I will get to in a little bit.
My love for cars started with those 2 British shows, Top Gear and Fifth Gear. The only car my family has owned is a 2012 Maruti 800. Nothing fancy. No music system, no creature comforts, not even an AC. I live in a place where an AC is more useful for warming up in the winter rather than cooling down in the summer. But that M800 can get you from point A to point B. It might huff and puff along the way but it can get the job done ( most of the time). It has sentimental value too hence can't bear letting it go anytime soon.
I joined my current job on January 2016 and was posted about 230 kms away from Shillong. My job being an essential service, I could only come home once a month. Hence, I didn't see the need for a car for myself. Plus, I was alloted one Mahindra Bolero Camper along with a driver for work. Why a Bolero Camper you might ask? Because the rural road network of Meghalaya is abysmal. Coupled with the amount of rainfall we receive, rural roads are virtually non-existent. It is slowly improving but nowhere near where it should be. In 4 years, I learn to love and adore that Camper for its ruggedness and go-almost-anywhere capability which has gotten us out of trouble on many occasions.
Back in November 2019, I got wind about my transfer and hence decided to look out for a car for myself. In fact, that is how I stumbled on to the Team BHP forum. After a bit of researching, I was planning to test drive the Polo GT but was waiting for the Christmas holidays to be able to. In the meantime, transfer order came and I joined my new place of posting. Once there, my heart sank as I saw the road conditions and realise my dream for a car would have to wait (again). The kicker was that 99% of the journey was on buttery smooth tarmac and only for about 500 m was the road really bad. But I decided not to risk a new car on a bad road.
Buttery smooth tarmac. Also you can see why our state is called the abode of clouds.
Greetings from Meghalaya-20200807_115854.jpg

Greetings from Meghalaya-20200806_102735.jpg

Greetings from Meghalaya-20200807_121700.jpg

The road 500m before reaching my work place
Greetings from Meghalaya-20200808_144833.jpg
Greetings from Meghalaya-20200806_135955.jpg

Hence, the Polo GT dream would have to wait and I started looking for a beater car instead. One, which I wouldn't mind driving over these roads. That is why I currently drive a pre-owned 2013 Maruti Suzuki Alto K10. Its not that bad but its not that good either. Maybe something like a Thar would fit my situation better.
Greetings from Meghalaya-20200516_122539.jpg

Apart from cars, I absolutely love swimming. This has something to do with the fact that our state is dotted by thousands of streams and rivulets into any one of which you can "cannonball" yourself on any 20°C+ day. Meghalaya is also making progress in the Tourism industry. If any TBhpian is planning a visit here (after this Pandemic, of course) and has any questions, feel free to contact me. I would be glad to help any way I can.

Thats all for now
Thanks
Maedhros
Maedhros is offline   (32) Thanks
Old 8th August 2020, 16:21   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: Greetings from Meghalaya

Welcome to Team-BHP Maedhros.

I have been to a few places up in North, a bit in East, Nepal, Sikkim etc, but, Shillong [apart from traffic] casted a spell on me. I was and still am spell bounded by its beautiful surroundings, the cafes, food etc.

The road from Guwahati to Shillong is another highlight. I have a a good friend from Shillong and he is a BHP-ian as well, hope he sees this thread.

Lets hope, I can ride there someday and explore few good back roads.

Have a wonderful stay .
Sheel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th August 2020, 16:55   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maedhros View Post
Welcome to TBHP Maedhros!

Are you kidding me? People travel all over and share awesome pics. You just need to step out of the house. I mean how blessed can one be?

Last edited by Aditya : 9th August 2020 at 19:34. Reason: Image deleted from quote; spacing added
RedTerrano is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th August 2020, 17:47   #4
BHPian

Welcome to Tbhp, Maedhros! Hope you enjoy your stay here.
I visit Shillong occasionally combining with my yearly visit to my home town Guwahati.

We will plan a meet next time I visit. Till then stay safe and post some more landscape pictures. Can't get enough of it.
fordday is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2020, 18:04   #5
BHPian

Wow! That was a great introduction, never mind that you took time to do it. Welcome to Team-BHP and look forward to see more pictures about your beautiful state. My last job was also with an utility- so we have some kinship!
earthian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2020, 18:32   #6
Senior - BHPian

Welcome Maedhros to Team BHP. Your introduction was very nice with beautiful photos. I am originally from Assam and had visited Meghalaya few times. I miss those days when I used to visit places in the North East as part of my first job, some two decades back. Hope you will enjoy the journey with Team BHP
airbus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2020, 10:30   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedTerrano View Post
Welcome to TBHP Maedhros!
Are you kidding me?
People travel all over and share awesome pics.
You just need to step out of the house. I mean how blessed can one be?
I know, right? Truly blessed. And the best part is that this is just a tiny glimpse of what our land has to offer. See you here someday, maybe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
I have a a good friend from Shillong and he is a BHP-ian as well, hope he sees this thread.

Lets hope, I can ride there someday and explore few good back roads.
You don't say! I have been on the lookout for the LTD sticker here in Shillong but haven't seen it till now. Maybe I haven't looked hard enough. Also, when you say 'ride' I take it you mean a bike. In that case, you would love chucking it into the curves we have here. Hopefully it happens soon

Last edited by vb-saan : 9th August 2020 at 14:19. Reason: Back-to-back posts merged; please use edit/multi-quote options when posting back-to-back. Thanks!
Maedhros is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th August 2020, 12:50   #8
BHPian

Quote:
See you here someday, maybe?
Definitely.
Missed it the last time
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/trave...ml#post4484337 (To escape in-laws, I became an outlaw and fled to the waiting arms of the 7 sisters…and their cousin)
RedTerrano is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2020, 22:47   #9
Team-BHP Support

Welcome to the forum! Well now that your one part of the story is done (cars) shall we focus on the other?

I guess every one in Meghalaya loves Heavy metal?

I hope you are no exception?
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2020, 08:43   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Welcome to the forum! Well now that your one part of the story is done (cars) shall we focus on the other?

I guess every one in Meghalaya loves Heavy metal?

I hope you are no exception?
No exception whatsoever Currently obsessed with those 3 kids from Kansas who called themselves Hammerhedd. But as I age, I have learn to appreciate good music no matter the genre
Old 12th August 2020, 11:56   #11
BHPian

Welcome to TBHP Maedhros !

It was a great introduction with your crisp description and pics of "Abode of Clouds" been the icing on the cake. Your intro itself accumulated much needed accolades..hints of things to come huh !! Great man !

We been also to North east couple of times, and this part of Meghalaya - Shillong, Cheerapunjee does not come first to anyone's to-do-list unless you been there. I or rather we as a family was mesmerized by the abundant natural beauty, non-commercialized places right from Guwahati-Shillong all the way to Cheerapunjee ! My personal opinion, its still under-rated like our old Baleno, but cast a spell once you drive it The Living Root bridge, ML-05 Cafe, Dylan Cafe, The food at City Dhaba in Shillong was superb and everything around was beautiful. You can imagine someone from God's own country get mesmerized.

Even though we went in December, when the falls are close to dry, we did not lose heart. The sights are true to behold, Dawki was another super highlight of the trip ! Want to visit again all the places especially Cheerapunjee, once the falls are in full glory say in Aug or Sep post covid obviously.

We we all have a great friend in Maedhros, the way you welcome all of us more to your heaven, it's truly appreciable ! Travel spots, nature and machines add another level of adrenaline rush - at least for me this always been a deadly mix than any of other cocktails

Posting some pic's from the few I had in mobile, please don't mind the quality of the same, it looks very very beautiful than this.

Regards
Prsn
Attached Thumbnails
Greetings from Meghalaya-img_0792.jpg  

Greetings from Meghalaya-img_0966.jpg  

Greetings from Meghalaya-img_1005.jpg  

Greetings from Meghalaya-img_1027.jpg  

prsnck is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th August 2020, 17:45   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by prsnck View Post
We been also to North east couple of times, and this part of Meghalaya - Shillong, Cheerapunjee does not come first to anyone's to-do-list unless you been there.The Living Root bridge, ML-05 Cafe, Dylan Cafe
Seems like you had a hectic schedule if all this was accomplished on one visit. Also, I'm glad you visited the living root bridges. They are a wonderful example of the technical knowhow and engineering of our ancestors. Just one request. I know Cherrapunjee is still marketed as such outside of Meghalaya but we've been trying, in our own little way, to changed it back to its original name, Sohra. Cherrapunjee is just a remnant of the British who couldn't pronounce its original name properly. We have petitioned Adventure Clubs, local restaurants and homestays and even the government but to no avail. Cherrapunjee is more marketable it seems. Please help us spread the word. Its Sohra not Cherrapunjee.
See you here again soon, maybe.
Old 19th August 2020, 16:41   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Seems like you had a hectic schedule if all this was accomplished on one visit. Also, I'm glad you visited the living root bridges. They are a wonderful example of the technical knowhow and engineering of our ancestors. Just one request. I know Cherrapunjee is still marketed as such outside of Meghalaya but we've been trying, in our own little way, to changed it back to its original name, Sohra. Cherrapunjee is just a remnant of the British who couldn't pronounce its original name properly. We have petitioned Adventure Clubs, local restaurants and homestays and even the government but to no avail. Cherrapunjee is more marketable it seems. Please help us spread the word. Its Sohra not Cherrapunjee.
See you here again soon, maybe.
It was not so hectic, we had close to 8-9 days overall. Still I believe many are to cover and when falls are full. Yes living root bridges are technical brilliance, one of a kind experience.

Fully agree with Sohra as the name is more homely, never knew this brief history till now. From the school days we are taught the place where we get the most rainfalls Such famous is the name from text book days till now. Unless we too went there, did not know such a name existed. We are for it !! Maybe our mistake, we did not imbibe that or neither anyone told us. But to inform you much of things spoken or written had Sohra in it, like the place we stayed, the key-chains, memorabilia etc,. See you too maybe next time, keep in touch ! Wish to drive along hills next time, rather chauffeur driven.
prsnck is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks