Team-BHP > Introduce yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 21st September 2020, 13:50   #1

Rebirth in Team-BHP

Dear all,

It's an amazing experience to have your membership to this forum being approved!

And on another note, in this new digital age, I find it possible to trace out the history of most people online - where they go, what they do, and where they live.

It's with this realization that I've had the pleasure of having my membership approved not once, but twice. I foolishly applied the first time with my own real name as my username. Hoping to hide my digital footprint, here I am, reborn, with my past record cleaned.

Very grateful to be a part of this forum, where I've learned a lot from all of you around, and hoping to contribute my little.

I currently drive a VW Vento, due for a headlight upgrade. Here's a picture of my current ride. I was somewhere on NH4. I had carried milk, coffee powder and paper glasses with me, so I could have coffee on the highway while maintaining social distancing.

Thanks to all of you for making Team BHP such a nice and vibrant community, especially our mods for their hard work.

Sincerely,
<Name redacted>
Attached Thumbnails
Rebirth in Team-BHP-img_4832.jpeg  

apocalypse is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 21st September 2020, 23:19   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Rebirth in Team-BHP

Welcome again to the forum apocalypse. When did you last register? How long have you been a member of the forum?

Quote:
I had carried milk, coffee powder and paper glasses with me, so I could have coffee on the highway while maintaining social distancing.
Best. And a packed snack as well. Guess this is how road trips will be for a while now, even though places are open.

Also, do share an ownership review of the Vento. Looking forward to reading that.
ChiragM is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2020, 08:52   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by apocalypse View Post
I foolishly applied the first time with my own real name as my username. Hoping to hide my digital footprint, here I am, reborn, with my past record cleaned.

<Name redacted>
First of all, Welcome to the forum.

Zealously guarding your privacy?. As you write more posts, you would be amazed to find that you have let down your guard so much and given out enough personal info unconsciously to triangulate your identity rather easily.

All the very best.
srini1785 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2020, 14:27   #4

Thanks a lot, ChiragM and srini1785, as well as everyone else.

Quote:
When did you last register? How long have you been a member of the forum?
It has been a couple of years now, although my activity has been relatively on the lower side.

Quote:
Also, do share an ownership review of the Vento. Looking forward to reading that.
Certainly, I do intend to post that soon!

Quote:
As you write more posts, you would be amazed to find that you have let down your guard so much and given out enough personal info unconsciously to triangulate your identity rather easily.
Haha, that's an excellent point, and a fair risk assessment. It deserves a better explanation. There are two sets of people to deal with here:
  1. Team BHP members/visitors with access to my posts
  2. Outside stalkers trying to find out more about me via Team BHP (a much larger set)

It's the second variety that I'm trying to eliminate. I've observed that Googling my name reveals an uncomfortable amount of information about me - my work, education, where I live, which cars I drive, my activity patterns in recent days, my spending patterns (eg. if I mod or repair my car, or change my car).

Also, regular Team BHP readers are a relatively smaller community, and I would actually be okay with sharing my identity with all legitimately interested members of the Team BHP community, since we're all here for a purpose - our shared passion for automobiles.

Rebirth in Team-BHP-risk_analysis.png

A quick (and disproportionate) Venn diagram might illustrate, the yellow area is a small fraction of the larger red circle.

Maybe I'm sounding crazy.

Cheers!
apocalypse is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks