Team-BHP > Introduce yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 25th November 2020, 17:53   #16
BHPian

Re: First post! I imported a Fiat 1100D to California

Nicely done . Looks amazing. Curious the know the reactions of the local Americans who might never have seen this before.

Waiting to hear back on restoration cost that someone has asked above and also on how do you manage to keep up with the freeway speeds prevelant in the USA with this granny
Shashankjk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th November 2020, 17:54   #17
Senior - BHPian

Easily the best 1100D I have seen. The quality of workmanship is outstanding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
I am a bit confused about the lack of wipers or seat belts. Is that street legal in CA?
The rotors are in place for the wipers. He probably doesn't have the arms which are a simple press-fit onto the rotors for the 1100D.
AMG Power is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2020, 18:37   #18
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by passanha View Post
I always wanted Premier Padmini to be my first car, however, by the time I could afford it, it was history. So finally got a 1100D from Germany. Did a frame-off restoration and here is the result. I know some puritans will disagree with the deviations, so please don't beat me down for it.
Wow and just wow! She looks perfect! If you have more pics including during the restoration, do share. And dare I ask a ball park of how much such a job would cost?
Jaggu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2020, 23:12   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
BTW, looks like we might be neighbors (I live north of Apple HQ.) We could probably meet sometime when the conditions permit - and I could ogle at your car for a few hours.
And I visit Cupertino (and yes Apple Park) for a month once a year - hopefully soon after there’s a covid vaccine and no lockdown.

It’d be a pleasure to see this car and test drive it if you’d be so kind.
hserus is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 26th November 2020, 01:09   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by passanha View Post
Finally making my first post.
Wow, this is a fantastic restoration. Hats off to you.

I own a '89 premier padmini here in India and have a hard time sourcing parts. I am wondering where and how you got hold of such quality parts ? Please let us know.

The quality of chrome in those plated surfaces (bumper, headlight rims etc) is pristine. Did you chrome plate them or is it as-is from parts purchased.

What material is that radiator grill made of - Steel / Aluminium ? The india market is flooded with poor quality plastic grills right now.

Also the water channel, windshield show beading, door beading. They look fantastic and of high quality. Please share where you got them from.
rubicon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th November 2020, 05:46   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
That is a beautiful car and a very good restoration job. The right shade of red sure makes the car stand out too.
It is a 1964 Model. Yes, the heater core is original fitment since it was manufactured in Italy. Getting parts was extremely painful. That pouch was one of the most difficult to get. Here in US there is a site mrfiat.com, you can get most of it there. If they don't have any they will find it in Italy and get it for you at a premium. There are bunch of Fiat 1100 groups on Facebook, they tend to be great resources too.

Thank you. Wouldn't like to disclose the cost, well, since it is in USA, the labor is extremely expensive, the parts need to be shipped from Italy. I got some parts in one of my trip from India but they were not the same quality as you get from Italy.

Just to give you an idea, Paint job alone was 3.5k USD, the upholstery was 5k USD, you can guess from that point

I am tryin to respond to all the questions but my replies are not getting displayed :( or maybe I don't yet know how to use this site.

Still a Noob to this site, so trying to figure out the best way to respond.

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
Hi Passanha,
Welcome to the forum. Your 1100D looks amazing. Did you buy it in DE and import it or did you buy an imported car in CA? The restoration looks sweet, did you get it done in CA?

BTW, looks like we might be neighbors (I live north of Apple HQ.) We could probably meet sometime when the conditions permit - and I could ogle at your car for a few hours.

People are divided depending on how they use the car and what they intend to do with it.

Originality matters a lot if you’re attending shows/competitions and want to make a reputation as a seller of ‘pure’ classic cars. Some original cars can make some serious $$$ for sellers. Most people who care about originality won’t drive their car as often as you drive your jeep.

I do get your point of view knowing how much you actually like to drive & use the jeep. It might not fetch you big $$$ in a resale, but I doubt you care as your jeep makes you smile every time you drive it.

I bought it online from a dealer in Germany, who in turn had purchased from a private seller (only owner) in Italy. The dealer then shipped it to me (yes I imported it to CA). Yes the restoration was done here in California and Las Vegas, Nevada. That is where my mechanic lives, he took the car with him and worked on it. Also because most of the chrome work is done in Nevada. California does not allow chrome work.

We can definitely meet, I know few guys who are interested in Fiats and also own them here. My dentist is a huge fiat collector. He has few 1100Ds, 1100s, He even has a Rajdoot, Bullet, Labretta and Yezdi

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
Wow! Amazing! This was our first car at home and I learned full autonomous driving in the little Fiat. Love that engine bay, so clean!

Not a fan of that red on the 1100D, but it is really not my place to comment on that. What's the deal with wipers? And any interesting encounters with the cops on the road to share?? Really curious to understand their reaction when they see this magnet on road. I have a feeling they will totally appreciate this. And how do you manage the acceleration when joining the freeway? CA got some good legal speeds and great roads for this old fella!

Have loads of fun with it in the CA sun.
Thank you, still looking for the right wipers, I have 2-3 sets but they need to be cleaned and put on. Did not run into cops with this one yet. Not been on freeway either. Just local roads, early morning drives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado View Post
What a beauty!
Can we request you to start a proper thread on your FIAT 1100 please?
I am eager to hear its exhaust note.
Still figuring out this site, will do soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Welcome to Team-BHP... WOW! That's a great restoration.

I am a bit confused about the lack of wipers or seat belts. Is that street legal in CA?
As I mentioned earlier, still looking for the right set of wipers. The car is street legal, It has a proper license plate (blurred in the pictures) and title. Classic cars are exempt from a lot of new requirements like SMOG check, seatbelts. As long as the car is more than 25 years old.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandTourer View Post
Welcome aboard!

Wow! This is the most immaculately restored Fiat I have ever seen (that includes TBHP). That engine bay is so much more cleaner and uncluttered compared to any new car.

Also, looking at the amount of space available in the engine bay, you can also think of a larger engine swap a few years down the line, when you want to spruce it up a bit more. I'm sure engine swaps aren't as expensive or even illegal in the US, unlike back here.

Happy motoring!
Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
Welcome aboard Passanha! That has to be one incredible restoration. Given the labour costs in California, it must have cost a bomb to get it done up. Would love to see a thread on your experience right from acquisition to restoration.

Have shared your thread with a Fiat fan who stays up in Vallejo. He'll be thrilled to see this.

Would love to check it out in person when I visit next.
Most welcome to visit. I will start a proper thread for this. Yes, it did cost a big bomb but quite happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roamer012 View Post
Must be covered under the import rule of vehicles older than 25 years.
That is correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZT View Post
That back seat is pure royalty. What a restoration! I've never driven a car with the Padmini type gear shift so it's one of those bucket list things for me

Enjoy this beauty. 5 Star thread
Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
That is one pretty Fiat! I'd say red would probably not have been my ideal choice - these cars go really well with light shades but I'm not complaining - it's wonderful to such it in such good shape!

BTW what's that blue bag/packet for in the engine bay?
I debated between dark blue and red for a really long time, finally caved in to this red. The blue bag/packet is the windshield wiper fluid bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shashankjk View Post
Nicely done . Looks amazing. Curious the know the reactions of the local Americans who might never have seen this before.

Waiting to hear back on restoration cost that someone has asked above and also on how do you manage to keep up with the freeway speeds prevelant in the USA with this granny
Americans here do not recognize the car but I do get looks from Indians. The newer generation of Indians too do not recognize the car. I will probably start a separate thread and we can discuss costs there. It did cost a lot primarily because of the labor costs here and the fact that we have to import parts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMG Power View Post
Easily the best 1100D I have seen. The quality of workmanship is outstanding.

The rotors are in place for the wipers. He probably doesn't have the arms which are a simple press-fit onto the rotors for the 1100D.
That is correct. I have the arms, actually 3 sets, but need to clean and make them as pristine as rest of the car. Just of those things that keep getting postponed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Wow and just wow! She looks perfect! If you have more pics including during the restoration, do share. And dare I ask a ball park of how much such a job would cost?
I will create a thread with more pictures. It was a very expensive restoration . I can discuss in private if you like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
And I visit Cupertino (and yes Apple Park) for a month once a year - hopefully soon after there’s a covid vaccine and no lockdown.

It’d be a pleasure to see this car and test drive it if you’d be so kind.
Absolutely, feel free to stop by.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
Wow, this is a fantastic restoration. Hats off to you.

I own a '89 premier padmini here in India and have a hard time sourcing parts. I am wondering where and how you got hold of such quality parts ? Please let us know.

The quality of chrome in those plated surfaces (bumper, headlight rims etc) is pristine. Did you chrome plate them or is it as-is from parts purchased.

What material is that radiator grill made of - Steel / Aluminium ? The india market is flooded with poor quality plastic grills right now.

Also the water channel, windshield show beading, door beading. They look fantastic and of high quality. Please share where you got them from.
For parts, we have couple of sites here in US that source original parts mrfiat.com and fiatplus.com. If they don't have it then I try a bunch of italian sites who charge a bomb to ship. There are couple facebook groups where people sell parts.

I chrome plated all the parts in Las Vegas, Nevada. Infact, I was not that happy with their job. Some imperfections do not show up in the picture but overall a decent job.

The radiator grill is made of steel. I got it imported from Italy. It is brand new, never used. I then cleaned it and again chrome plated it to give it extra shine.

The beading came with the car, I just rechromed/polished them.

Last edited by moralfibre : 26th November 2020 at 09:51. Reason: back to back posts merged
passanha is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 26th November 2020, 08:47   #22
Team-BHP Support

Mod note: Thread closed. Passanha has created a new thread detailing his Fiat 1100D here.
moralfibre is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks