Team-BHP > Introduce yourself

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 11th April 2021, 17:32   #1
BHPian

Hello from Norway

Hello from Norway.

I am an indian origin man born in Malaysia and been living in Norway for the past 49 years. I am retired and am 72 years old.

I left Malaysia in 1970 after a big fight with my mother and left for Madras with 90 dollars in my pockets.

I visited my grandmother in Kerala hoping to stay for 3 months but she started the same evening wanting to get me married to my 14 year old cousin. The stay lasted only a week. The cultural shock was just too big for me.

I travelled a bit around India before I made it hitchhiking all the way to Scandinavia.

It was only in 2016 I went back to Malaysia for the first time after 44 years.

My rides today are a 1974 BMW R90S motorcycle and a 2002 VW Multivan. The bike has a 900cc aircooled horizontal twin engine and the Multivan a 5 cylinder 2.5 TDI. The bike has done a mileage of 255,000 km and the car a grand total of 400,000. I bought the bike in 1984 and the Multivan in 2012. I am not a fan of getting the latest models. I know of one similar bike at Hyderabad in India.

I would call myself a dieselhead. The sound of a diesel is like music to my ears. I enjoy driving and rather drive 3000 km than taking a flight.

I took my driving licence in 1965 and have a accident free record driving a few million kilometers. I used to drive a 10-wheeler as my job.

I do all maintanence and repairs myself. I have been working on everything mechanical since the age of 12 and was known as the neighbourhood mechanic. I overhauled my first engine at 16 and replaced the clutch same time. I had spent hours and hours watching mechanics at a workshop when i was younger. They let me help out sometimes.

I have an extensive toolkit with some special tools and pullers. Rather than let a workshop do a job for 200 euros, I would buy the tools for 200 and do the job myself.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 11th April 2021 at 18:30. Reason: Please avoid promoting private/personal ventures on the forum. Please read the Announcements carefully before proceeding.
Indian2003 is offline   (71) Thanks
Old 18th April 2021, 18:24   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Hello from Norway

Hi Indian2003

Welcome to Team-BHP!

You have neatly summarized your life's journey in a few points. But, it was enough to spark my curiosity.

I can sit for hours and listen / read your stories. There's so much to learn from you, not just about automobiles but about life in general.

Thank you for stopping by.

Cheers!
TusharK
TusharK is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 20th April 2021, 20:37   #3
BHPian

Welcome to the forum, I am sure you have a lot of stories to share!
motorpsycho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2021, 02:14   #4
Senior - BHPian

Hello Indian, nice to see you here. Not sure you remember but you drove all the way to Oslo to meet me when I came for a business visit...If I remember correctly, it was for the event Nor-Shipping in 2014. I've seen your Multivan and heard some of your 'on the road' stories too. it's a pity we haven't been able to catch up thereafter.

once, again...it's good to see you here.
14000rpm is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2021, 22:28   #5
Senior - BHPian

Welcome to the forum !

Looking forward to more of your posts/stories/journeys/experiences etc. Indian origin man born in Malaysia, living in Norway ! You truly are a citizen of the World. Which part of Kerala are you from ?

Also do share pictures/travelogues of your journeys/VW Multi van/BMW R90S.

Cheers,

TrackDay
TrackDay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2021, 19:09   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14000rpm View Post
Hello Indian, nice to see you here. Not sure you remember but you drove all the way to Oslo to meet me when I came for a business visit...

once, again...it's good to see you here.
Yes Avinash. I do remember you. I came to Oslo pulling a trailer. We went for a meal at Punjab House at Grønnland. Have you moved back to Finland? I was at Tampere at the Nordic VW meet in July 2018. I thought you had moved to the states.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackDay View Post
Welcome to the forum !

Looking forward to more of your posts/stories/journeys/experiences etc. Indian origin man born in Malaysia, living in Norway ! You truly are a citizen of the World. Which part of Kerala are you from ?

Also do share pictures/travelogues of your journeys/VW Multi van/BMW R90S.

Cheers,

TrackDay
My dad is from Talawady in Alappuzha and my mother is from Thakazhi. Last time I went there was in 1970. I should have some relatives around Trivandrum, Quilon and Travancore. They might have spread out even more over the years.

There has been little travelling since the Covid struck. I had planned a trip to Malaysia in February and a road trip to Kalliningrad in summer 2020. Right now I should have been in Malaysia.

I used to fill up 150 liters of diesel a month and now only 70 liters every 8-10 weeks.
Indian2003 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2021, 20:22   #7
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian2003 View Post
My rides today are a 1974 BMW R90S motorcycle and a 2002 VW Multivan. The bike has a 900cc air-cooled horizontal twin engine and the Multivan a 5 cylinder 2.5 TDI. The bike has done a mileage of 255,000 km and the car a grand total of 400,000.
Welcome to the forum, Indian!

A very familiar handle since I used to follow your posts on the erstwhile Gearheads.

Good to have you here and please do go through the rules. See you around!
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2021, 18:09   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian2003 View Post
Yes Avinash. I do remember you. I came to Oslo pulling a trailer. We went for a meal at Punjab House at Grønnland. Have you moved back to Finland? I was at Tampere at the Nordic VW meet in July 2018. I thought you had moved to the states.
Not Bad. Not bad at all. you remember all the details very well. I had indeed moved from Finland to US in summer 2017 but quickly corrected my mistake and came back to Finland in winter of 2018. I knew of your July visit to Tampere but I wasn't back at that time still.

I've not visited Norway since I got back but a travel to Stavanger to meet folk at the big state owned Oil & Gas is long pending. Hope I can meet up with you soon again. Of course all travel is suspended for now though.
14000rpm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2021, 02:12   #9
BHPian

Welcome to team-bhp!

Looking forward to reading and learning from your experiences. Have a nice time here!
carthick1000 is online now   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed